Photo
- - - - -

Got a new Mobo. What to do with BIOS and drivers?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#13 Hyper

Hyper

Of course it will fit, I have power tools.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Just swap your hardware and boot it like normal. Don't bother removing drivers - they're so similar you're not likely to need to do anything.

I swapped from an AMD board to a Z68 board without changing drivers. :lol: If i can do that you can go from a chipset to a newer version of the same no problem. :P

I did the same thing but going the other way (p67 to a 990FX didnt go well... blue screen couldnt even get into safe mode lol)
Posted Image

#14 wevsspot

wevsspot

The Pain of Being a Razorback Fan.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15982 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

Just swap your hardware and boot it like normal. Don't bother removing drivers - they're so similar you're not likely to need to do anything.
I swapped from an AMD board to a Z68 board without changing drivers. :lol: If i can do that you can go from a chipset to a newer version of the same no problem. :P

That's why all your stuff always blows up :)
10804750996_f1dd23d20e_o.jpg

#15 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15416 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Psh. :lol:

sig.png

GTX 770 replaced with watercooled GTX780...but too lazy to change the sig.

#16 Prunes

Prunes

Geek

• News Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

I uninstalled the drivers Wev mentioned and installed them from the website. Everything is working just fine at the moment. Only thing that bothers me is that I can't flash to the newest BIOS. AI Suite II says something about it not being correct. But I'll just stick with the BIOS I have for now.

Formerly known as Ecofriendly

My rig:

Mobo: Asus P8Z68 Pro Gen 3
CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.3
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i with 2x Corsair SP 120 Quiet Edition
GPU: MSI GTX 670 Power Edition
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
HDD: WD Cavier Black 1TB
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Case: Fractal Design R4 Black

#17 boinker

boinker

Im a Watchin you......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Why waste time downloading the drivers from support.asus.com when a disk that is right in front of you will work. I am not sure. The last time i downloaded from them one of the downloads took half and hour. And i sare as hell am not in the country so that is my justification.

"It works Because I threatened it. :lol:" - " did you show it the sledgehammer" - "No, A flight of stairs"
"I don't want to be much of a forum Nazi but this situation calls for a hail Bosco and blitzkrieg someone".

If that does not work I hop in a Madcat and Blast it to microscopic Particles.

#18 wevsspot

wevsspot

The Pain of Being a Razorback Fan.....

• 15982 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Strange that you can't update your BIOS. Did you clear the CMOS and reload optimized defaults before you attempted the BIOS flash? Are you sure that you downloaded the correct BIOS?
10804750996_f1dd23d20e_o.jpg

#19 Prunes

Prunes

Geek

• News Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

I didn't clear CMOS, no. Didn't have to one my old board so figured I wouldn't on this one. I downloaded the one from Asus's website and then tried to load it with AI Suite II, which was what I used for my old board to flash with. I might give it a try tomorrow, if I get time. Clearing the CMOS and all that.

My rig:

#20 d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG FTW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4135 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

The last time i downloaded from them one of the downloads took half and hour.

And your connection speed? :P
Actually the drivers are almost same in most of the cases. Only latest chipset driver matters most which rarely changes.

boozei.gif

#21 boinker

boinker

Im a Watchin you......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Not terrible. Maybe If I upgraded to a better Router or Switch but that ain't worth it. At the time I was having the issue Was almost a year ago. Pissed me off so bad I got the files from a mirror rather then support.asus.com I just got the latest and greatest from asus. Took five minutes this time between finding, and downloading them. But anyhow Enough Topic Derailing. :lol:

Computer never Sweats by any means though.Only about 10% of network potential was used in one of the tests.

"It works Because I threatened it. :lol:" - " did you show it the sledgehammer" - "No, A flight of stairs"
"I don't want to be much of a forum Nazi but this situation calls for a hail Bosco and blitzkrieg someone".

#22 Drdeath

Drdeath

Certified Geek

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Posted Image

Not terrible. Maybe If I upgraded to a better Router or Switch but that ain't worth it. At the time I was having the issue Was almost a year ago. Pissed me off so bad I got the files from a mirror rather then support.asus.com I just got the latest and greatest from asus. Took five minutes this time between finding, and downloading them. But anyhow Enough Topic Derailing. :lol:

Computer never Sweats by any means though.Only about 10% of network potential was used in one of the tests.

These tests are worthless. When downloading, your at the mercy of the server and your ISP's routing. Most never get much over 1Mb download anyhow.

WACO NEEDS A HUG KILLER: Intel Core i7 3770K Overclocked to 4.9GHz stable 24/7
Gigabyte Z77 UD7/ Nexus 1100/ 3 x Sappire Dual 7970's 1150-1600/ 16G G.Skill Tridents Memory Overclocked to 2200MHz cas 9
OCZ 240G Revo Drive/ Phobya WayCooLit TestBench
Custom Water/ Swiftech Apogee XT/ Liang MCP655/ Thermalchill PA120.3 plus 120.2

JEALOUS BLUE PANDA GOT MUGGED AND KICKED BY GIRL SCOUTS KILLER: Same as above with 3930K/ Gigabyte X79 UD4 when I feel like it.

JEALOUS WACO KILLER II: A10-5800K TRINITY/ ASRock A85 Extreme 4/Noctua C-14 Air Cooling/ Radeon 6670/ Seasonic 550W PSU/ 8G Kingston Hyper X 1600MHz Low-Profile Memory/ 120G OCZ Vertex 3/ 320 Veloci-Raptor/ Hauppauge Win-TV TV Tuner/ Zalman HD503 HTPC case

#23 boinker

boinker

Im a Watchin you......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3299 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

These tests are worthless. When downloading, your at the mercy of the server and your ISP's routing. Most never get much over 1Mb download anyhow.

Cheers to that sir. But people like seeing those things. :lol:

hey Ecofriendly, Everything going OK??

#24 Prunes

Prunes

Geek

• News Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Everything running stable and well. Passed intel burn-in test, skyrim, ME 3, browsing etc. Only hiccup is the virtu software. I installed from the disk. It then said that there was a newer version, which I downloaded. But that won't work. It keeps getting windows error message saying that it has stopped working. I then press shut down the program. It restarts itself and the error message comes back. I've tried reinstalling to no avail.

EDIT: How exactly does Virtu work and what benefits will I gain from it?

Edited by Ecofriendly, 14 April 2012 - 11:59 PM.

My rig: