Slower login with an Intel 520?

HeyYoWL

Hey guys, so in the end I actually chose to get the Intel 520 over the Vertex 3 120GB a little while ago. After everything's been setup though, it takes longer for the 520 load into Windows than it did when I had Windows 7 installed to my Vertex 3 60GB. What gives? What I mean is, it used to be that after I input my login password and pressed Enter, on the Vertex 3 Windows would boot into the desktop within .5 seconds. Now with the 520 which should be equal speeds, I have to wait 3-5 seconds to get to my desktop. Obviously it's not a huge deal, but I'm just trying to figure out what exactly is causing the slow down? I haven't installed anything that wasn't installed on the Vertex 3 before so I don't get what the problem is. I've tried switching from the Intel SATA port it was on to my Marvell port, and have now gone back to the Intel port. No difference. Read speeds are as advertised, 550 MB/s, but the non-instant desktop loading is kind of a small annoyance after I've grown accustomed to the how it was on my Vertex 3 before. Does anyone have any ideas?

Clean install always. Does anyone else here have a 520? If so, how long does it take from when you press Enter after inputting a password for your desktop to show up?

Is it the exact same hardware and software? I'd be shocked if the 520 was slower than a Vertex 3 since IIRC the have the same controller driving them...

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried updating the firmware?

Is it possible that in the last install you had reduced the number of processes on startup, and you just haven't done that with the 520?

No, actually I've done MORE to optimize my install this time than I did last time in fact. It makes no sense. The only difference now is that before it was a single OS and now I'm dualbooting my Hackintosh install. They're on separate drives though, and the bootloader is on the Hackintosh drive (OCZ Vertex 3). Would that make a difference? Is this maybe an OS thing? Because after benchmarking both drives I can tell you the 520 is on par with the OCZ so I can't see what's causing it. It's driving me nuts though!

I had this same problem on my main rig with a 256GB Crucial M4 and a 240GB SanDisk Extreme. I did another image restore using Acronis Home True Image, and that did the trick. Something didn't go right before. I used to had to wait a couple of seconds, which feels like minutes, before seeing my desktop after logging in.

I had this same problem on my main rig with a 256GB Crucial M4 and a 240GB SanDisk Extreme. I did another image restore using Acronis Home True Image, and that did the trick. Something didn't go right before. I used to had to wait a couple of seconds, which feels like minutes, before seeing my desktop after logging in.

I've actually re-formatted this drive 3 times just to hopefully solve this issue. No dice. So you think a re-imaging would help? I'm not disputing that it might work, but would you know why?

I've actually re-formatted this drive 3 times just to hopefully solve this issue. No dice. So you think a re-imaging would help? I'm not disputing that it might work, but would you know why?

Not sure why. Same thing with just a clean installation, something is clogging up that SSD's resources.

Try installing Intel SSD Toolbox. It's free to use with any Intel SSD. You can use it to update the firmware and optimize it.

Can I update firmware on the OS drive while it's running? Will it wipe any data?

I'd do a backup first just in case, but no, it's not supposed to be destructive IIRC.