I did something wrong. Help?

Guest Black gold saw.

Guest Black gold saw.

I have no idea why, but i decided to browse through assorted files i think that were in system32 or something. And i found a program/file of some sort and i clicked on it (i know, dumb choice right?) It took me through the 'Windows is preparing your computer for the first time' routine.

it then asked me to create a user account. Thinking iv'e lost all of my data i exited it, and everything was fine. However, the issue is whenever i start up my computer and you see the 'windows is starting' with the addition of the windows flag/symbol; you shortly see the 'windows is preparing your computer for the first time' window with the gold/yellow loading line (This only flashes for a second) Then my system boots like normal and no issues...

I still want to get rid of it.. What did i do, and how do i fix this? And yes , i realize it was stupid of me to click a random file....

EDIT: I Think it was the winboot folder found in the system32?

Edited by Black gold saw.

oh my, im afraid i have no idea how to fix this, but try reinstalling windows 7? copy all your data to a external drive (or a second internal one then unplug it)

system 32 is a bad folder to be browsing through, most stuff there is kinda important :lol:

Gold saw - back up your important data just in case this procedure goes awry. Messing around with the boot record is always risky, but if you follow the procedure to the letter you should be ok.

1. Put your Windows 7 installation disk in and restart your computer

2. Enter your BIOS and make sure that the CDRom is selected as the first boot device

3. Reboot again and the Windows installation wizard will start

4. You'll be prompted to press a key to continue

5. Follow the prompts for language, time, keyboard input etc.

6. Click "Repair your computer"

7. Win 7 will scan for previous installations of Windows

8. Pick (what I presume is the only installation of Windows)

9. Next, choose "Repair your computer"

10. In the System Recovery Options choose "Command Prompt"

11. In the command prompt type in the following command;

"bootrec.exe /fixmbr" without the quotation marks

Windows will do it's thing

12. In the command prompt type in the following command;

"bootrec.exe /fix boot" without the quotation marks

Windows will do it's thing

At this point your master boot record should be repaired and returned to it's original state. Let me know if something else happens other than that.

There are two other things we can try if the above fails. One I'd probably do regardless.........

After you go through the repair procedure I've outlined above. Boot into Window normally. Open up the Command Prompt with Administrative Permissions. In the command prompt type "sfc /scannow" without the quotations and hit "enter"

This will scan all of Windows critical files and replace or fix any that are missing or damaged.

Guest Black gold saw.

There are two other things we can try if the above fails. One I'd probably do regardless.........

After you go through the repair procedure I've outlined above. Boot into Window normally. Open up the Command Prompt with Administrative Permissions. In the command prompt type "sfc /scannow" without the quotations and hit "enter"

This will scan all of Windows critical files and replace or fix any that are missing or damaged.

I tried the one you did above. Now going to plan 'B'

EDIT: It says that it didn't find any integrity violations..

Edited by Black gold saw.

Guest Black gold saw.

I would but now it won't let me do windows repair.. saying something.. I'll show you.