depending on your budget, i'd reccomend waiting on the IB which will be out so very soon, they are pretty awesome cpus, if your trying to future proof, wait for IB tbh, it's not just a die shtink to 22nm, it's also a new architeture to a tri-gate transistor. If you must start buying things now start with an ssd like a 256gb ssd they are around 350 now, or if thats a bit high at least a 128gb which you can find in the 150 range. It will be worth it in the long run, a 64 fills really fast, and since you'll be transcoding vids it be nice to do it all on the ssd first then move it later to your plater drives, or to have room for a few games on the ssd, you'll like the improved load times i bet.
As for the MB all those are great boards, but really your just paying for a bunch of stuff you'll likely never use, personally i'd stay away from any pro, deluxe, etc it's just a price hike for nuthing really. I think I paid 120 bucks for my p8p67rev3.0 last year, you can get a p8z68-v for 120 now and just use the intel graphics if your not going for hardcore gaming tbh, and axe the graphics card all together.
I like your idea of fill ram slots, specially with transcoding, you can setup your ram into a ram drive, or ram cache which will blow away the speed of an ssd with 16gb ram you could do a 8gb ram cache or with 32 16gb ram cache.
if you must get a vid card I would go with an nvidia, you might pay a little more, but you know it will work on a game when it launches, not have to wait months for optimized drivers. and many transcoding softwares use cuda to offload to the gpu, but not all use amd's version of this.
Just my .2 cents, at the end just get whatever makes you happy tbh, if your not happy about what your buying then your just throwing money away.
I would love to wait on the Ivy bridge....however my machine got fried in a storm and I really need it back. I think i might lose my mind if cannot play my MMO and use my own pc to work from. I am working from the wife's laptop and the IB release date is not solidly set. Even if it is released on time, when will MBs and chips really be available? The IB is suppose to use LGA 2011 socket type however everyone is saying it will not take full advantage of the chip and you will still need a new board. How much longer will you have to wait until you can really use it and how much more will it cost?
I will most likely get at least 120gb ssd, either a intel or ocz one. i have used both brands of video cards in the past with success.
My current computer is basicaly an antique and a SB setup will be like driving a high end sports car that will last me 5 years at least....
Edited by defroad, 07 April 2012 - 10:22 AM.