Built a Desk

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

I wasn't 100% what section to put this thread in, so if this is the wrong place please move it to the right one. This is also basically a copy of a thread I have on another forum.

I had designed a mockup in Sketchup and went from there. These mockups are just a basic idea, things got changed around during the build and the monitor stand is completely placeholder in the mockup.

CLICK FOR LARGE IMAGES

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

So, on to the pictures...

Starting work on the legs.
Posted Image

Next we jump ahead a few weeks or so to a nearly complete desk, just adding final touches like trim. Still needs stained and then coated in finish for protection.

A good overview pick of the front of the desk, with the case shelf on the side.

Posted Image

The back

Posted Image
Posted Image

Shelf for my modem/router and anything else I plan to stick there...

Posted Image

From the side

Posted Image

Finished rear cable area (added the support across the bottom, the monitor support pole will be bolted to this)

Posted Image

Posted Image
(Note to self, pre-drill holes to prevent wood splitting)

Case Shelf with trim (The blocks allow the case to still have it's roller wheels on it, the case support pads rest securely on the blocks If I want to remove the wheels, I just detach the shelf, unscrew the blocks and I have a flat shelf)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Everything here was done with hand tools and these two saws. No fancy table saws here

Posted Image

Edited by S.T.A.L.K.E.R., 04 April 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#2 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Jump forward a few days.

Finally got it all stained and the desktop coated with a few coats of Lacquer. I used "Natural" stain (so clear), so it didn't change the color at all.

The rest of the desk has some polyurethane on it though it needs a few more coats.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Members
  • 6 posts

And some pics of the finished desk. The black tape are markers for where parts of the monitor stand will be, so ignore those. The stand will be attached to the desk, but built in a way it can easily be removed and the desk used without it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Muchoman1

Muchoman1

De-railer of threads, Destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1562 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

Nice, i am in the middle of a desk build too, except i have my computer integrated in the desk.

you are 1 up on me for the tools though, i got a circular saw and a jigsaw, no dropsaw here.

looks like a nice sturdy desk for a decent sized rig, cant wait to see it in action with some nice big screens on top

The Hive 
               i7 3930k @ 5GHz 24/7   32Gb Corsair Dominator @ 1866MHz 
                    Asus Rampage IV Extreme    3x EVGA 670 FTW @ 1300MHz Core boost
256Gb Crucial M4 - Boot Drive  4x2Tb HDD Raid 5 - Data Storage 
CPU, Motherboard, GPU and RAM watercooled  by MIPS and Heatkiller 
Heavily Modified XSPC Cube Case 

#5 sack_patrol

sack_patrol

cozza frenzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2183 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

thats a really fine desk. I wish stores would sell such high quality stuff. Simple and elegant. What sort of training does one need to be able to make those?

Timestretch2.png

#1: DFI 790FXB-M3H5 | Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.6Ghz | Sunbeam CCF 4 | Vapor-X 5870 1GB 940/1290 | Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB 1333Mhz 7-7-7-24 | Razer Barracuda AC-1

#2: MSI Z77-GD65 | Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz | Noctua NH-D14 | WindForce GTX 680 2GB 1306/1688 | Ballistix Tracer 2x4GB 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 | Xonar Essence STX

Chassis: Antec 902 | Corsair Force GT 90GB | Seagate 1TB | WD Caviar Blue 320GB | OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

Peripherals: Logitech G400 | Rosewill Cherry MX Red | audio-technica ATH-AD700 | Asus vh238h 23' LED

#6 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Nice, i am in the middle of a desk build too, except i have my computer integrated in the desk.

you are 1 up on me for the tools though, i got a circular saw and a jigsaw, no dropsaw here.

looks like a nice sturdy desk for a decent sized rig, cant wait to see it in action with some nice big screens on top

It'll have 3 ASUS VW266H Monitors on it once it's done.

thats a really fine desk. I wish stores would sell such high quality stuff. Simple and elegant. What sort of training does one need to be able to make those?

I got lucky, my father has 30+ years experience with wood working/carpentry/house building and he's been helping me out with the build.

#7 NumbWarri0r

NumbWarri0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

It'll have 3 ASUS VW266H Monitors on it once it's done.

I got lucky, my father has 30+ years experience with wood working/carpentry/house building and he's been helping me out with the build.

Wow that looks really good. Can't wait to see some pics of your setup!

Edited by NumbWarri0r, 04 April 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#8 SpeedCrazy

SpeedCrazy

Life is one heck of a ride, so hang on tight!

• Folding Member
  • 3795 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Looks good. I wish i had time/cash/skill to build something like yours or mucho's. My epic piece of excuse for a desk is a door layed over the fram of an old walmart desk. Loads of room but that's all its go going for it.

Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.

Fold for Team OCC
sigimage.gif?c1=FFFFFF&c2=000000&c3=0000
i7 930 @ 3.9 || Dual-SLI GTX 250 || ASUS P6X58D-E || 3x2GB G.Skill Pi @ 1600 || Corsair TX850w || 2x WD Caviar Black 500gb

“The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?”

-Captain Jack Sparrow-

#9 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5226 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Looks good. I wish i had time/cash/skill to build something like yours or mucho's. My epic piece of excuse for a desk is a door layed over the fram of an old walmart desk. Loads of room but that's all its go going for it.

Ahaha sh|t yeah door desk

Great work S.T.A.L.K.E.R. can't wait to see it all geared up.

Posted Image

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#10 bishop245

bishop245

So broke I can't even pay attention.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9804 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

looks good another vote for the can't wait to see action shots :)

#11 Il_napoletano

Il_napoletano

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

my desk is a bit of kitchen worktop, on a little plastic desk...

nice work OP!!! :thumbsup: wish I had the space to fit a desk like that in my room :D

Cooler Master Haf 932
Asus P6T SE
Intel i7 950 @ stock
12GB Corsair Vengence 1866mhz

XFX 6970 2GB @1600x1200px atm

Samsung 830 120GB SSD 

WD Raptor 10k rpm

Segate barracuda 750GB
64x Windows 7 Ultimate

#12 dragonsdontfly

dragonsdontfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

Good work man. I really like the idea of the holes leading into the "cable management" area you put in, nice thinking! Honestly, I think that's the best idea I've ever seen in a desk xD. There's one thing I would add if that was my desk: A rod protruding about 5" from the right corner of the desk (for hanging headphones when you get up.) Thought I'd mention it in case you wanted something like that too.

I've been wanting to build my own desk forever, and unlike the million mods I consider and never do: It's something I'm going to do. When I do, I'll let you know what it looks like.