9xx to Ivy Bridge

ericgcollyer

I built my current 1366 build towards the end of 2008. It has been pretty rock solid and I have no real reason to upgrade. At work, a buddy of mine was looking into building his first system. As I was talking to him, he was willing to purchase some of my used parts for a few hundred bucks. Long story short, I'm looking to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge processor when it comes out. My uncle is the financial manager for Intel, and so I can get a sweet deal on an Ivy Bridge when it comes out. I know most of this is going to be theoretical because Ivy Bridge hasn't come out yet, but I think it would be fun to start exploring some options. I would like to get a new Motherboard, and RAM (and obviously a processor, but that's not really what I need help with). In addition, I think that this thread could be a resource for those in similar situations.

I do some occasional gaming with this rig. But its mainly Starcraft 2 and League of Legends, so nothing too intense. I've got a GTX 265, and I think that is fine. Mostly, this computer is used for media production. Mostly audio production, but I do a fair amount of HD video editing.

First, what parts can be recycled? In my case, I will be upgrading from a 1366 motherboard to a 1155 motherboard. Obviously I can use the same case, CD drives, PSU, HDDs, cables and so forth. I guess my real question is can I use the same RAM? X58 motherboards use triple channel memory, and 1155 uses dual channel RAM. Does this mean that the RAM isn't compatible? They are both DDR3 240 pin. I will be upgrading RAM either way, so it doesn't make a huge difference. I need a ton of RAM, and I was thinking about getting this kit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=600006072&IsNodeId=1&Description=mushkin%20blackline&name=16GB%20%282%20x%208GB%29&Order=BESTMATCH&SecondSearch=1 Comments, Suggestions?

Second, what are your recommendations for a Motherboard? I was thinking the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3. I really like the idea of having built in bluetooth, and I need the 8 SATA ports. Plus, it seems like a solid board for overclocking.

Any additional information I should know?

In addition, I am looking to get a new case. I like the looks of the HAF X: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225. Any thoughts on this case?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Black gold saw.

I suggest the same board and case i'm using. Both combined will set you back only $230.

For the price you pay, the rig in my signiture is hard to beat. thus i suggest all the parts in my sig.

Edited by Black gold saw.

I built my current 1366 build towards the end of 2008. It has been pretty rock solid and I have no real reason to upgrade. At work, a buddy of mine was looking into building his first system. As I was talking to him, he was willing to purchase some of my used parts for a few hundred bucks. Long story short, I'm looking to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge processor when it comes out. My uncle is the financial manager for Intel, and so I can get a sweet deal on an Ivy Bridge when it comes out. I know most of this is going to be theoretical because Ivy Bridge hasn't come out yet, but I think it would be fun to start exploring some options. I would like to get a new Motherboard, and RAM (and obviously a processor, but that's not really what I need help with). In addition, I think that this thread could be a resource for those in similar situations.

I do some occasional gaming with this rig. But its mainly Starcraft 2 and League of Legends, so nothing too intense. I've got a GTX 265, and I think that is fine. Mostly, this computer is used for media production. Mostly audio production, but I do a fair amount of HD video editing.

First, what parts can be recycled? In my case, I will be upgrading from a 1366 motherboard to a 1155 motherboard. Obviously I can use the same case, CD drives, PSU, HDDs, cables and so forth. I guess my real question is can I use the same RAM? X58 motherboards use triple channel memory, and 1155 uses dual channel RAM. Does this mean that the RAM isn't compatible? They are both DDR3 240 pin. I will be upgrading RAM either way, so it doesn't make a huge difference. I need a ton of RAM, and I was thinking about getting this kit:

http://www.newegg.co...&SecondSearch=1 Comments, Suggestions?

Second, what are your recommendations for a Motherboard? I was thinking the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3. I really like the idea of having built in bluetooth, and I need the 8 SATA ports. Plus, it seems like a solid board for overclocking.

Any additional information I should know?

In addition, I am looking to get a new case. I like the looks of the HAF X: http://www.newegg.co...82E16811119225. Any thoughts on this case?

Thanks in advance.

First of all, please state your budget, current rig and if you live outside NA, state the website of your preferred store if any.

Ivy Bridge will be released in the 29th while the Z77 boards will be released by this Sunday. Until then, you wouldn't know the exact performance of the Z77 boards + an IB CPU (although there are leaked reviews already)

In terms of gaming, I think your GTX 275 should suffice for now but there really isn't any harm in upgrading either (except maybe to your wallet :evilgrin:)

Point is, if you're not thinking of gaming at the highest settings and graphic intense games, you could still use your GTX275 for now and upgrade when you want to step up your gaming habits.

Also, what software do you use for Video editing? This way we'd know what kind of GPU that will suite you nicely :thumbsup:

Please state what is your current Rig so that we may help you find the parts that could be recycled.

As for the triple channel memory, yes IB doesn't support triple channel and you'd better off getting a dual channel kit instead. It's not that it wouldn't work. It may work but surely not on an optimum level.

Since you are looking for an IB setup, I think it's wise to wait for the Z77 boards. They're similar to current Z68 boards but with added feature and full IB support. Plus it should lead to price drops in the Z68 lineup should you not need the extra features of the Z77 boards.

The ASUS P8 series are great boards. I myself used to own the same type and it was a solid board with great price and great OC ability. I imagine the P8Z77 series would follow suit. Also the ASUS AI Suite utility is just a pleasure tool to use. It's capable of OCing your CPU by itself without any specific inputs from you and really helps you a lot should you want to tweak from Windows.

For the case, I must say that you're one of the few that actually 'Likes' the looks of the HAF X. Most of us either Hate the looks or just plain 'meh', and I'm one of those. What I love about the HAF X is the superb airflow. It's by far the best case I've ever used in terms of airflow and I'm sure I'm not the only one. The only drawback is really it's looks but since you like it, it would definitely suit you well.

Again, please state your current rig and all the other things I mentioned above so that we can help you more

:cheers:

My current rig is the following:

Corsair 850W Power Supply

Intel i7 920

Asus Sabertooth x58

12 GB Crucial Ram (3x4)

Antec P180 case (I think...its been a while since I purchased it)

XFX GTX 265

LG blu-ray burner

3x WD Caviar Black 1 TB drives

1x HDMI Capture Card

As for the budget, I haven't really decided on one as of yet. No more than $1000, but $500 is probably more appealing to me.

I suggest the same board and case i'm using. Both combined will set you back only $230.

For the price you pay, the rig in my signiture is hard to beat. thus i suggest all the parts in my sig.

I agree with ya. Those are some pretty great parts, but I am looking to get a full size case. In addition, I'm not sure how I feel about ASRock. I had an ASrock x58 motherboard, and I ran into issues with that board. I had to RMA it twice, and finally just got a used Asus Sabretooth for a great price. Perhaps it was just their early boards, but I have had a much better experience with Asus.

I agree with ya. Those are some pretty great parts, but I am looking to get a full size case. In addition, I'm not sure how I feel about ASRock. I had an ASrock x58 motherboard, and I ran into issues with that board. I had to RMA it twice, and finally just got a used Asus Sabretooth for a great price. Perhaps it was just their early boards, but I have had a much better experience with Asus.

if it was me, i would go for one of asus's new z77 boards to go with ivy bridge, it has a fair few new features to go with ivy, and is designed completely for that purpose.

i too prefer asus over asrock, they seem a little cheap and nasty to me, particularly in the low end.

as for the ram, there is no difference in ram sold in dual, triple and quad channel kits, so you could pick up a single matching stick, or buy a whole new kit.

if your wanting to stay under $500 i would recommend the first option, but make sure all the specs are the same (timings, voltage and speed) and you will have no issues at all

as for the case, something like the nzxt phantom is a great full tower for the price, and some of the other HAF series like the 932 are great towers, i wouldnt go all the way to the hafX though, and for this build a mid tower would also go very well, as you are not using Eatx mobos or 3-4way crossfire or sli, there is really no reason to go full tower, and many mid towers such as fractal design's cases have a heap of hdd bays for a mid tower, which im assuming you need due to the 8 sata ports mentioned in the OP

if it was me, i would go for one of asus's new z77 boards to go with ivy bridge, it has a fair few new features to go with ivy, and is designed completely for that purpose.

i too prefer asus over asrock, they seem a little cheap and nasty to me, particularly in the low end.

as for the ram, there is no difference in ram sold in dual, triple and quad channel kits, so you could pick up a single matching stick, or buy a whole new kit.

if your wanting to stay under $500 i would recommend the first option, but make sure all the specs are the same (timings, voltage and speed) and you will have no issues at all

as for the case, something like the nzxt phantom is a great full tower for the price, and some of the other HAF series like the 932 are great towers, i wouldnt go all the way to the hafX though, and for this build a mid tower would also go very well, as you are not using Eatx mobos or 3-4way crossfire or sli, there is really no reason to go full tower, and many mid towers such as fractal design's cases have a heap of hdd bays for a mid tower, which im assuming you need due to the 8 sata ports mentioned in the OP

The NZXT case looks pretty good. Ill have to check that out. Although I would pick the HAF X over the 932 because of a few key elements. I like the rubber grommets for cable management, the filters, the all black inside, and the VGA support and cooler. In addition, the hotswappable HDD slots are a real plus. I don't use them yet, but if I had them I would probably put them to use for various projects. I hate opening up my case to make adjustments.f

But one of the real reasons I wanna get a full tower is cause I would like to have room for 5.25" bays. I'm going to be upgrading to Dual Blu-Ray burners soon here so I can burn some of my projects a bit faster. But I also have a few more accessories that will go on the front panel. Nothing too much of interest, but I would like to have the room to expand.

My current rig is the following:

Corsair 850W Power Supply

Intel i7 920

Asus Sabertooth x58

12 GB Crucial Ram (3x4)

Antec P180 case (I think...its been a while since I purchased it)

XFX GTX 265

LG blu-ray burner

3x WD Caviar Black 1 TB drives

1x HDMI Capture Card

As for the budget, I haven't really decided on one as of yet. No more than $1000, but $500 is probably more appealing to me.

Re-use the PSU, HDDs, Burner and the GPU

New:

- Ivy CPU - FREE (i h8u!)

- Z77 mb - $200ish (guessing)

- Dual-channel RAM - $110 (if 16GB)

That leaves room for another blu-ray that you seem to want and a case. While you may be able to get away triple-channel memory it won't be efficient. In fact, adding an additional RAM stick could slow things down. It is worth the money to do it right.

If you want a case that is a mid-tower but has the space of a full tower, I love my 600T. It is GINORMOUS inside.

Re-use the PSU, HDDs, Burner and the GPU

New:

- Ivy CPU - FREE (i h8u!)

- Z77 mb - $200ish (guessing)

- Dual-channel RAM - $110 (if 16GB)

That leaves room for another blu-ray that you seem to want and a case. While you may be able to get away triple-channel memory it won't be efficient. In fact, adding an additional RAM stick could slow things down. It is worth the money to do it right.

If you want a case that is a mid-tower but has the space of a full tower, I love my 600T. It is GINORMOUS inside.

I REALLLY like that case! It looks a lot better than the HAF X. The CPU socket cutout looks like it will work with any cutout (as opposed to the HAF X). The Hard Drive bays are actually tool less. And I love the way the side panels mount. There are numerous grommets compared to a few on the HAF X. That, and it looks better than the HAF X too. AND its even Cheaper! are there any downsides to this case?

are there any downsides to this case?

The price?

The mesh panel probably isn't the sturdiest so it may not sustain switching the window panel with the mesh panel over and over. I'd probably pick one config and stick with it. Other than that, no it is definitely gotta be my favorite case I've worked with so far. It may not be the best case out there, but it suits my needs just right.

Will the side mesh hold a 200mm fan? I can see it will hold 4 120mm fans, but can it fit a 200mm?

Edit: And can the built in fans be plugged into the motherboard? Do they have 3 or 4 pin connectors?

Edited by ericgcollyer