Mineral Oil Submerged PC Case

I was considering building one of these a couple years ago and decided against it. It would make a neat conversation piece for a HTPC and you could make it run pretty quiet with a low powered system (to keep the heat generation to a minimum) There is (or was, I havent been in there in a while) a store near my house that has one on display and they are pretty cool looking :) .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think an AMD trinity APU HTPC system could easily be ran at comfortable temps without a radiator and pumps and all that. It would look pretty cool on the home theater rack as well. But a low powered htpc system without a dedicated gpu would run in a safe temp range.

Edited by Laststop

I think an AMD trinity APU HTPC system could easily be ran at comfortable temps without a radiator and pumps and all that. It would look pretty cool on the home theater rack as well. But a low powered htpc system without a dedicated gpu would run in a safe temp range.

This is true.

The biggest problem with systems like this is the wiring - mineral oil will wick up the cables and make a mess if you aren't careful. That, and hardware submerged in mineral oil is instantly voided of any warranty it may have. HDDs can't go in the mineral oil but SSDs can.