Wing Chun Wooden Dummy

Psywar

Heey-o!

So I am in the process of building a Wing Chun Wooden Training Dummy.

I have schematics on how to do it. I have an idea on the materials I am going to use. I am hoping someone on here has built one or can explain a few things to me about the actual dummy itself, and why the dimensions are the way they are.

Ok first off this is what it looks like and roughly about the same build idea I have. The only exception is I am going to be building mine on a base that will allow for a DIY Lazy Susan. This way I will be able to spin my training dummy when I get to that point.

One I would like..jpg

Here is the plans for the body of the Wood Dummy:

dummy_body.gif

So my first question is why does the diameter of the body need to be 9 inches? I have looked on many forums and everyone say's "9"" but no one explains why.

My second question has to do with the Dummy Arms.

dummy_arms.gif

Two of the Arms are "Off Center". Why are they Off Center? Can I make them strait?

Also I am assuming this is a 1 piece of wood. I cannot figure out how I am going to lathe this piece to be off center like this.

Then I have read that the top two arms should be about shoulder height. Is this correct?

I think that is all my questions I have for now :P

If no one know's it's not a huge deal I thought I would take a shot in the dark though and try here. I really have not found any Martial Arts forums I really enjoy and want to be part of.

Most of the forums I have been on there are a ton of people who are jerks. I have noticed that though over my years of watching and learning this stuff that most (not all) people that are any good or think they are good at martial arts are usually ass's.

Thanks!

I'm actually going to do the same this summer, lol.

The diameter doesn't have to be 9". It can be thicker, but the thinner it is, the less sturdy it will be.

The arms don't have to be off-center. They can be straight if you want. They're off-center so that one arm is attacking your face, another your chest, just like the middle arm is attacking your abdomen.

Just think of the wooden dummy as a replacement for an opponent. It's easiest if the wooden dummy is a replica of your size, but if you're 5'4" or 6' 8", it might not be a realistic representation of opponents you'd face in real life. I'm 5'8", so would make mine around 6'1", which is usually the size of most opponents I'd face. Most people want the wooden dummy their size because it makes the movements for blocking, countering, and punching easier, but it's never going to be that smooth in actual combat with different sized opponents. If I had the choice, I'd make 3 different-sized models. Maybe I'll make one where I can adjust the base height? Hmm...

I'll keep an eye on this thread and update with my model. Mine isn't going to be extraordinarily great, though.

That's cool that I know someone else is going to do this. I will keep an update of my build on here then.

So first off thanks for the reply. That was helpful!

Second, you talked about building 3 differ. ones using various sizes.

I seen a dummy a while back where it had the arms on the front and back. (Sorta the back, more on the side) but the guy built it so the arms in front were for a shorter person and the arms on the side where for a taller person.

He even put 2 legs on it. It was pretty dang slick.

Oh, I found a photo.. well this is not the one I seen, but the idea is the same.

Wing_Chun_wooden_dummy.jpg

I got a buddy of mine heading up north next week for Easter. He is going to see if he can find me a dried up Cedar Log while he is up there.

If not I am going to use Pine and then make the arms out of Cedar.

That's cool that I know someone else is going to do this. I will keep an update of my build on here then.

So first off thanks for the reply. That was helpful!

Second, you talked about building 3 differ. ones using various sizes.

I seen a dummy a while back where it had the arms on the front and back. (Sorta the back, more on the side) but the guy built it so the arms in front were for a shorter person and the arms on the side where for a taller person.

He even put 2 legs on it. It was pretty dang slick.

Oh, I found a photo.. well this is not the one I seen, but the idea is the same.

post-742-0-83902200-1333037862_thumb.jpg

I got a buddy of mine heading up north next week for Easter. He is going to see if he can find me a dried up Cedar Log while he is up there.

If not I am going to use Pine and then make the arms out of Cedar.

Nice, better idea than adjusting the base height. Two people can use it at once, too, lol.

Yeah, I'm not too particular of the wood to use. After I get some experience I'll probably replace it with better wood parts.

Is it just my dirty mind, or does this thing look like it can be used for... Other things...

Hey man what you and Wing Chun do behind closed doors is none of our business...TMI man...TMI... :yucky:

Nice, better idea than adjusting the base height. Two people can use it at once, too, lol.

Yeah, I'm not too particular of the wood to use. After I get some experience I'll probably replace it with better wood parts.

Harder the wood the better.

Oak would probably be the best/easiest wood to find here in the US.

I was going to go with Oak, but it would be hell on my tools. At least working with something this big.

Pine and Cedar I think would be the next hardest easiest to find woods. Cedar is usually damn expensive unless you know someone.

If my buddy can find me a Cedar log this weekend then I am going to go that route.

If not I think I am going to buy 6/8 (I think) 2x10 Planks made from Pine. I am going to glue them up together and then use a tool to round it like a log.

It should be strong enough for me to learn on and at least a few years of me beating the crap out of it once I get my arms to that stage.

If I go this route I am only going to spend about 50 - 75 bucks in materials which is worth it for my first dummy which I may or may-not even enjoy using.

Is it just my dirty mind, or does this thing look like it can be used for... Other things...

Wing Chun Sybian..

Lawls. teehee.gif

Harder the wood the better.

Oak would probably be the best/easiest wood to find here in the US.

I was going to go with Oak, but it would be hell on my tools. At least working with something this big.

Pine and Cedar I think would be the next hardest easiest to find woods. Cedar is usually damn expensive unless you know someone.

It may just be the kind of cedar round here but its a whole lot tougher than the oak. Especially if it has dried. Cedar dulls a chainsaw in minutes. Oak you have a half hour or more.

Interesting. It may be possible. I am no expert that is for sure.

Maybe there are different tools to use on various types of wood. I know the tools we have are for working with Cedar.

I just know how to cut them down. The whole actual wood working process is going to be new to me. lol!