88 replies to this topic

#1 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15311 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Some guy on Ebay is scamming me. I sold one of my 4870X2s, with the EK full cover block, for $102.50 via an auction. Less than I'd have liked, but still not the end of the world.

USPS delivered it last Friday...and Sunday he sent a message that the card "just came in" and that one of the capacitors was broken off as well as it was showing up as a "1 GB card". After a bunch of back and forth messages it sounds like not only does the card work just fine, but I don't think it was ever broken at all (unless the buyer did it themselves). The buyer even said the box showed up in perfect condition and that it looked like "it was broken when being packaged". BS.

The last message was this:

I tried two versions of 3DMark V.10 & V.11, and unable to finish the test, because an error keeps popping up, saying its unable to detect something on the video card.

I want to return this card back to you. Since I'm not gonna use this card on my system. But, if you are willing to give me a discount, I'll keep the card.

He claims that he's tried "v.10 and v.11 Catalyst" as well as "the newest one" whatever that means - so I asked him to take pictures of the damage as well as asking what the rest of his cooling system was since I shipped the card with the waterblock installed.

I asked him to send me a picture of the damage as well as asking what he actually ran on the card...because last I checked there's no such thing as "3DMark v.10 or v.11". :lol: This whole partial refund thing is a known scam and I'm seriously losing faith in selling anything on Ebay with this kind of crap happening all the time.

UGH. Rant off.

Posted Image

Booyah.

#2 AZNguyen

AZNguyen

Melting pot of friendship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7930 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

What was his user rating?

Gaming || Intel i7 3770K || Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 || G.Skill 2x 4GB || EVGA GTX 680 2 GB || Corsair TX750 V2 ||

|| 3x Dell UltraSharp U2312HM || Corsair Vengeance K90 || Logitech G700s || Audio-gd NFB 15.32 || Hifiman HE400 ||

HTPC || Intel Celeron G530 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 4GB || CM Elite 460W ||

NAS || Intel Pentium G630 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 16GB || Corsair CX430 || IBM M1015 || 21 TB Storage ||

#3 Speedway

Speedway

IRL is back, Go Penske!

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

So you are losing faith in Ebay because of a few scammers? That would be like losing faith in OCC because of a few trolls :whistling:

Edit: Heck, I would tell him to send the card back for a refund as long as it is in the exact same condition and resell it on Ebay. You may even get more for it this time!

Life Begins @ 220mph

I7 2600K - ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z - 16GB Mushkin Redline 2133MHz - ASUS GTX 680- (2) Corsair Force GT 120GB SSDs RAID 0 - (2) 750GB WD Black HDDs RAID 0 - 900W Tagan BZ Series - U2-UFO

Dual Loop Water Cooling - Koolance RP-452X2 - CPU -> Koolance CPU-360 - Thermochill TA 120.3 - Liang D5 GPU -> D5 - XSPC RX360 - Koolance VID-NX680

The Cube Build Log - Update Coming

Guide for Unlocking MSi Afterburner

Heatware

#4 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15311 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

143, surprisingly enough. :mellow:

He actually just responded to my rather lengthy message asking about the damage and tests he ran and out of all the questions I had, the only one he responded to was the cooling system. He says he's cooling it with a Zalman Reserator 1+...I didn't realize anyone actually bought those. :lol:

EDIT: I've already offered to start the return/refund process but he pretty much ignored it. I also don't want to be stuck with a broken card should he decide to be vengeful before sending it back. :mfp:

Posted Image

Booyah.

#5 AZNguyen

AZNguyen

Melting pot of friendship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7930 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

Sigh, I was just about to go and post my FS thread on eBay. Now I might a wait a little while longer.

Gaming || Intel i7 3770K || Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 || G.Skill 2x 4GB || EVGA GTX 680 2 GB || Corsair TX750 V2 ||

|| 3x Dell UltraSharp U2312HM || Corsair Vengeance K90 || Logitech G700s || Audio-gd NFB 15.32 || Hifiman HE400 ||

HTPC || Intel Celeron G530 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 4GB || CM Elite 460W ||

NAS || Intel Pentium G630 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 16GB || Corsair CX430 || IBM M1015 || 21 TB Storage ||

#6 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • 20376 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

So you are losing faith in Ebay because of a few scammers? That would be like losing faith in OCC because of a few trolls :whistling:

Edit: Heck, I would tell him to send the card back for a refund as long as it is in the exact same condition and resell it on Ebay. You may even get more for it this time!

:withstupid:
Though I hate how sellers can't vote down buyers anymore, good luck with your battle

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#7 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

I have seen this before a lot of times, just offer to give him a refund BUT he must return it in the exact condition that was pictured in the ad. They will return it or ignore you. I have been in the same situation at least 3 times this year already. If you want, please post his username so us fellow ebayers may block him from bidding on our items. Thanks

Edited by Black64, 26 March 2012 - 03:16 PM.

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 3X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panels and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Silver's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Emotiva MiniX-a-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums and Paradigm H15NC --- (Headphone AMP) --- Schitt Magni

#8 bp9801

bp9801

Please press any key to continue

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7985 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

All these stories make me have to ask.. why do people still sell on eBay if it is loaded with scammers?

Intel Core i5 4690K - ASUS Z97-A - EVGA GTX 770 2GB
Mushkin Ridgeback 16GB DDR3-2133 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD - Seagate 500GB + 750GB - WD 1TB - Cooler Master SPH 1050W
ASUS Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition + Sennheiser HD-280 Pro + HD-555 - Thermolab BARAM 2010 - Cooler Master HAF XM

Follow OCC on facebook.png
eUYPk97.png

#9 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

All these stories make me have to ask.. why do people still sell on eBay if it is loaded with scammers?

There are ways to protect yourself.

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 3X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panels and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Silver's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Emotiva MiniX-a-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums and Paradigm H15NC --- (Headphone AMP) --- Schitt Magni

#10 greengiant912

greengiant912

hl2.exe has stopped working

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1452 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I used to work at a local eBay consignment shop, and let me tell you eBay is all about the buyers. They don't give a crap about the sellers anymore...

If you sell your stuff on eBay be prepared to support it, its not necessary but it will help you from getting a reversal.

Also sell stuff that you would buy, dont sell that video card that has been put through hell and back... Be confident in the items you sell, and be prepared to back it up...

Edited by greengiant912, 26 March 2012 - 03:26 PM.

My Website  Twitter  XBL  PSN  STEAM

MSI Z68A-GD65(G3) - Intel i7 2600k - eVGA GTX570 Classified - 16gb Gskill DDR3 - Windows 7 Professional x64

15 inch Macbook Pro with Retina Display - Apple iPhone 5s 32gb - iPad 2 - 32gb - Xbox 360 Elite - PlayStation 3 (Slim) - Nintendo Wii - Xbox One - PlayStation 4

Server+ Certified - A+ Certified - Bachelors of Science in Information Technology

#11 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15311 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

I have seen this before a lot of times, just offer to give him a refund BUT he must return it in the exact condition that was pictured in the ad. They will return it or ignore you. I have been in the same situation at least 3 times this year already. If you want, please post his username so us fellow ebayers may block him from bidding on our items. Thanks

I already attempted to offer a return but I was trying to work it out with him beforehand. He pretty much ignores any real request for information (and I told him I didn't mind starting the return process if the card was indeed broken).

The username is siavando0911 in case he bids on anything anyone on here is selling. He has a lot of feedback recently but most of it is for LED lights and a few other computer parts. Please don't message him or anything like that, I don't want to screw up the Ebay return process because people want to be vigilantes. :lol:

This is my first real snag ever selling something. I've been on the reverse side where a seller tried to screw me (bought a 4850X2 2 GB that turned out to be a 2x512 MB card) but never on the selling side.

Posted Image

Booyah.

#12 Locutus

Locutus

Fortune favors the bold.

• Folding Member
  • 1880 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

This is my first real snag ever selling something. I've been on the reverse side where a seller tried to screw me (bought a 4850X2 2 GB that turned out to be a 2x512 MB card) but never on the selling side.

Did they even make those in 2GB models? Nevermind. :pfp:

Edited by Locutus, 26 March 2012 - 03:41 PM.

Heatware - Ebay

"I can't believe I ate the entire kitten!"

sigimage.gif