15 replies to this topic

#1 bp9801

bp9801

Please press any key to continue

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7965 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

If you are looking to run a silent computer that can play some games, our latest review may interest you. See how a passively cooled AMD HD 7750 performs as OCC reviews the SAPPHIRE HD 7750 ULTIMATE - http://www.overclock..._7750_ultimate/

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3.6GHz - ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO - EVGA GTX 770 2GB
G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 - OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD - Seagate 500GB + 750GB - WD 1TB - Cooler Master SPH 1050W
ASUS Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition + Sennheiser HD-280 Pro + HD-555 - Thermolab BARAM 2010 - Cooler Master HAF XM

Follow OCC on facebook.png
eUYPk97.png

#2 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3303 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

impressive passive cooler! If you were to attach a fan to it, it would be an awesome OCer.

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 3X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panels and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Silver's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Emotiva MiniX-a-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums and Paradigm H15NC --- (Headphone AMP) --- Schitt Magni

#3 d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG FTW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4120 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

I would have been more happy if there was fan cooling system rather than passive cooling system. Cause, passive cooling = problem with temperatures while overclocking with high ambient.

boozei.gif

#4 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5264 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

I would have been more happy if there was fan cooling system rather than passive cooling system. Cause, passive cooling = problem with temperatures while overclocking with high ambient.

Did you not look at the section on temps from the card?

with the fan moved to 100% to see the best possible cooling scenario for the overclocked load test.

So overclocked it was 10C cooler (71C not dangerous by any means) than the 560TI 448 stock load it was 17C cooler (71C wait did you just notice that? cause I did overclocked to 879/1250MHz from 800/1125MHz because voltage is locked it only increased load temps by 1C) than a 6970 (granted auto fan for stock settings).

It also gets destroyed by all the comparison cards in performance which means you need to pay attention to its intended applications which would involve mainly HTPCs where silence and often underclocking (not overclocking) are king.
One huge plus especially for HTPCs is this

Draws power from the PCIe slot

Super efficient, when used appropriately in the setting it was designed for very chill and silent 100%.
It can also mange light gaming ie no AA and low-medium settings but hey gaming is gaming.

med_gallery_78215_532_67141.png

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#5 Muchoman1

Muchoman1

De-railer of threads, Destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1562 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

sapphire make a fan cooled 7750, this is the special edition passive one, why are you complaining about the lack of fan on a special edition fanless card?

The Hive 
               i7 3930k @ 5GHz 24/7   32Gb Corsair Dominator @ 1866MHz 
                    Asus Rampage IV Extreme    3x EVGA 670 FTW @ 1300MHz Core boost
256Gb Crucial M4 - Boot Drive  4x2Tb HDD Raid 5 - Data Storage 
CPU, Motherboard, GPU and RAM watercooled  by MIPS and Heatkiller 
Heavily Modified XSPC Cube Case 

#6 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5264 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

impressive passive cooler! If you were to attach a fan to it, it would be an awesome OCer.

Sorry to say unfortunately not I will direct you to part of the review

As it turned out, I wasn't able to use the voltage controls for the HD 7750 ULTIMATE, so the overclock didn't end up affecting temperatures at all.

Voltage locked :-/

However most certainly a bad butt passive cooler, very impressed by it.

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

#7 bp9801

bp9801

Please press any key to continue

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7965 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

The whole purpose of the Sapphire ULTIMATE cards are for HTPCs and people who only do light gaming. If you want low power consumption, a silent system, and something that can handle the odd game here and there, why not go for a passively cooled card?

As it is said in the review..

If you're going to be building an all out gaming beast, you probably will not and by all means should not, be using a passively cooled video card! In fact, you probably won't care about how much noise the card makes in the first place. However, if your machine's sole purpose is to be used in an HTPC, silence is key! Nobody wants to hear fans spinning while they're enjoying a movie, so for this purpose the Sapphire HD 7750 ULTIMATE is perfect! At $129, it does come in slightly more pricey than other HD 7750 video cards, but this is one of the few times when the price difference isn't such a big deal. Sure you could buy a cheaper card and replace that pesky stock cooler. But, that would probably just cost the same, if not more, than you would have spent on the HD 7750 ULTIMATE to begin with. This passively cooled card from Sapphire is ideal for any machine, where keeping everything as quiet as possible is more important than having the most powerful GPU available!

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3.6GHz - ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO - EVGA GTX 770 2GB
G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 - OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD - Seagate 500GB + 750GB - WD 1TB - Cooler Master SPH 1050W
ASUS Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition + Sennheiser HD-280 Pro + HD-555 - Thermolab BARAM 2010 - Cooler Master HAF XM

Follow OCC on facebook.png
eUYPk97.png

#8 d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG FTW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4120 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Did you not look at the section on temps from the card?

Sorry mate. No, I have not.
Cause: got board in the second page of the review after I saw that passive cooling system. :-/

p.s. going through other pages now..

Edited by d6bmg, 21 March 2012 - 08:23 AM.

boozei.gif

#9 DanTheGamer11

DanTheGamer11

When life gives you lemons, eat them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3952 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

Great for the HTPC crowd, now they just need to release a half sized one!

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3.2Ghz
Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 8GB 1.48V 1600Mhz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical
Motherboard Asrock N68C-GS FX
Graphics XFX HD 7950
Storage 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD, 240GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, Thanks OCC & Kingston, makes a big difference  :)
Optical Disk Drive Sony Optiarc DVD/CD ReWriter
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 650W Bronze
Case Cooler Master CM690

#10 tacohunter52

tacohunter52

R34CT1V4T3D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Great for the HTPC crowd, now they just need to release a half sized one!

That's a good point. Length wise the card is perfect for HTPC's the height however could definitely cause problems with some HTPC Cases.

Posted Image

Generic Most Awesome Sig

#11 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5264 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

That's a good point. Length wise the card is perfect for HTPC's the height however could definitely cause problems with some HTPC Cases.

Not me :D In fact I am contemplating crossfire 7750 ultimate cards in my htpc depending on their aussie release price.

#12 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15300 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

Do you think this card would have any issues in a case with very little airflow? A lot of HTPC cases aren't exactly paradigms of cooling. :lol:

Posted Image

Booyah.