46 replies to this topic

#25 bp9801

bp9801

Please press any key to continue

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

1080p version of the video posted the other day. Plus this one will actually stay up since the first was deleted by Vimeo.

Intel Core i5 4690K - ASUS Z97-A - EVGA GTX 770 2GB
Mushkin Ridgeback 16GB DDR3-2133 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD - Seagate 750GB + 1.5TB - WD 1TB - Cooler Master SPH 1050W
ASUS Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition + Sennheiser HD-280 Pro + HD-555 - Sapphire Vapor-X CPU Cooler - Cooler Master HAF XM

Follow OCC on facebook.png
eUYPk97.png

#26 cjloki

cjloki

Demigod

• Donated T5
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3070 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Brian Fargo, developer of the Fallout series, wants help creating a sequel to his game that started it all, Wasteland. Wasteland 2 will be true to the roots of the original (an isometric RPG) and has launched a Kickstarter page to help reach the $900,000 goal. Various pledges get you rewards, with a $15 pledge giving you a DRM-free digital copy of the game.

The original Wasteland launched in 1988 as the first post-apocalyptic RPG and had you controlling a team of Desert Rangers. Different outcomes were the direct result of your actions and the storyline allowed for a ton of re-playability.

Head here to donate!

...so how do we know the donations are going into game development rather than into some coke dealers account, or into international jet setting vacation tickets...are there any assurances beyond a receipt and a promise ??

#1) ASUS F2A85-V PRO+AMD 6800k@4.7ghz,Corsair H100,20gb Crucial Ballistix ddr3 1600@1866,xfx7970 Black,GTX650 physx,2x128gb vertex4's raid0,2x600gb WD velociraptors,Sony OptiarcDVD rw,Antec1200 Full tower,Coolmax cug-950,w8pro64, gaming

#2) ASUS rampage formula+qx9770@4ghz, Corsair h100, 4gb ocz 1200, twin cav black 500's raid/0, CF 2x6870, corsair 750, custom DIY coolermaster glite mid tower, Sony OptiarcDVD, w7pro64, main office/server/gamin

#3) Gigabyte p55ud5+I-7 875k@2.93turbo, 4g gskill PIS 2200, nvidia gt520, corsair h50, samsung f3 1tb, lg supermultiDVD, coolermaster 500w psu, raidmax sieran, win8pro64 clone, strictly folding 15k-30k ppd 

Bloodbath

Warweeny: " just let it go, be free and relax ! "

#27 Savan

Savan

I'm a thread killer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

technically there are no assurances, only trust

(\__/) Doctor Steel
(='.'=) "and then when no one expects it ... BAM !! No more unicorns" - Nyt Ryda
(")_(") Not that I don't trust you, but to be honest I don't really trust you. - Locutus

#28 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19394 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

Brian Fargo, developer of the Fallout series, wants help creating a sequel to his game that started it all, Wasteland. Wasteland 2 will be true to the roots of the original (an isometric RPG) and has launched a Kickstarter page to help reach the $900,000 goal. Various pledges get you rewards, with a $15 pledge giving you a DRM-free digital copy of the game.

The original Wasteland launched in 1988 as the first post-apocalyptic RPG and had you controlling a team of Desert Rangers. Different outcomes were the direct result of your actions and the storyline allowed for a ton of re-playability.

Head here to donate!

...so how do we know the donations are going into game development rather than into some coke dealers account, or into international jet setting vacation tickets...are there any assurances beyond a receipt and a promise ??

There's only been one case of a Kickstarter scam, afaik, and that was caught and shut down before the KS ended, so nobody lost any money on it. No, you don't know whether your money is actually being used toward development, but honestly, I don't give a shit where my money goes when I pledge as long as I get the goods.

I've backed five KS projects. Only one has completed development yet, and I indeed received it. The only thing I can say is, if you're concerned, don't pledge or at least only pledge with developers you trust based on past projects/experience.

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: Razer Sabertooth Review ::: Watch Dogs Review :::

#29 bp9801

bp9801

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Short video of the inventory system.

Oh, and these weren't implemented when the video was shot but will be before the game arrives.

• Key bindings for menus and commonly used items. You’ll have the ability to designate hot keys for quick navigation of things like trading items to a specific party member or entering into various menus.
  • Mouse-overs for all relevant icons and backpack items to give detailed stats. Each of the icon details on the item pictures and inventory slots will have mouse-overs that show all of the granular stats you've come to expect from hardcore RPG's.

Mushkin Ridgeback 16GB DDR3-2133 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD - Seagate 750GB + 1.5TB - WD 1TB - Cooler Master SPH 1050W
ASUS Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition + Sennheiser HD-280 Pro + HD-555 - Sapphire Vapor-X CPU Cooler - Cooler Master HAF XM

eUYPk97.png

#30 bp9801

bp9801

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

InXile announced that Deep Silver will be distributing Wasteland 2 once it's ready to ship. It'll also be handling the physical goods fulfillment for Kickstarter backers, which means more time inXile has to make sure the game is perfect.

Can Deep Silver make any changes to the game?

No, we’re retaining creative control. Thanks to our backers, we’re fully funded and free to implement our own creative vision, and directly communicate with our backers and crowdsource ideas.

So this is good news?

Absolutely! For inXile, we always intended to use a third party to handle these matters, as we are simply too small a studio to be capable of handling all the award fulfillment details from a practical standpoint. By finding the right partner, we gain not just time: it also frees up financial resources for us as they are more efficient at handling physical fulfillment than we would be. All of that time and funding saved will go right back into the game. We’ll also benefit from additional support from Deep Silver on things like international version QA.

For our backers and fans, it assures you that distribution will be handled professionally and quickly, and will assure a smooth experience for getting the game and goodies into your hands. This deal also allows us to put a retail version on the shelves, so people who discover the game later can still get a physical copy. The digital distribution and sales are still being handled by inXile.

There's also been a couple of screenshots released to show off the location of High Pool and the customization you can do to the HUD.

Spoiler

eUYPk97.png

#31 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

• Review Editor
  • 19394 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

The game is really looking outstanding!

CMt.png
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 770 - 2x8GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1866MHz -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

#32 bp9801

bp9801

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

New update on Kickstarter with the following info:

In the next month we expect to have a version of the game that is feature complete, meaning all basic game functionality is in. This covers the combat system, character creation, radio support, world map travel, logbook, inventory, loot drop system, save games, AI functionality and much more. In addition all of the game maps are in and we have been in the process of making art and reactivity passes already. The basic building blocks of each level are in and the artists are fully propping them out, and the progress on this front is staggering. The hallmark of a great RPG is how reactive the world is, so our scripters are busy focusing on increasing this aspect of the game. We have encounters that look at the gender makeup of the party, the health of the party, the NPCs who have joined you and so many of the various world states. This is the kind of subtlety I love and makes the games both deep and re-playable. 

Mark Morgan has had his all music segments assigned and is on schedule as expected. Our particle effects man is working hard through his list so we get the drama and graphical payoff we are looking for. The portrait artists are all cranking on an amazing array of different pieces of art. Our sound team is in full swing with all of the various sounds coming in at a rapid pace.

This feature complete playable is about 6 weeks behind where I had wanted it to be but I can’t be too surprised considering the increased scope. We have been able to accomplish so much in so little time by our experience, fantastic team and tools.

As this tremendous amount of content comes together, we get to the artistry of making a game. I will soon be able to truly experience the game to get a sense of mood, timing, balance, variety, reactivity, strategic thinking and overall fun. The first phase of this will involve getting it into the hands of a few select players so we can analyze what we have and hone in on the right elements. And once we have made several passes at this phase we will open it up for our beta testers to get reactions and help us further hone the experience.

We plan to begin beta testing in October.

[...]

Once the beta testing begins in October and once we have enough feedback from testing, we can evaluate where we’re at and set a new release date. By that stage, over ten thousand of our backers will have gotten to play the game with us. In the end, quality comes before everything and fortunately the backers have been in line with us to make sure we get it right.

Wasteland 2 will also be shown off for the press at Gamescom next month. No public showing, but there will be a video released based on the press demo area.

eUYPk97.png

#33 bp9801

bp9801

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

A recent RPS interview shed some more light on the delay.

“We’re really hanging our hat on reactivity,” inXile CEO Brian Fargo told RPS during a recent studio visit. “Reactivity and choice. The scope and scale of the game, and the reactivity part is an absolute part of [the delay]. The levels are all fundamentally in, and all we’re doing is sitting around all day saying, ‘What about this? What about this? What about that?’ We watch people playing the game, and they come up with a clever way to do something, we want to accommodate that. That’s why with role-playing games, we can do difficult puzzles. It’s not like an adventure game where you hit a stop and you’re just done. I can level up and get around something. Brute force it. Blow it up. Find another route.”

“We want to make those changes all the way to the last second. Some of that requires dialogue. I think that’s why you’ve seen some role-playing games become more cinematic. They’ve got to lock and load the audio five or six months before it’s done. So you can’t make changes like that. For us, we’ll be making those changes until the last second.”

“We aren’t shy about shutting off entire levels of gameplay,” said project lead Chris Keenan. “We really wanted to make that happen.”

“We have so many sequences,” added inXile president Matt Findley. “About half the game, most people will never see. We’re not afraid at all to create content that’s off the critical path or can be closed off permanently.”

Quite the contrary, actually. Fargo and co are embracing their newfound ability to create with one hand and destroy with the other. Unlike many developers who want to wrestle control away from your hands so they can [Aladdin music] show you the world, the entire point of Wasteland 2 is that you’re in the driver’s seat.

“On the biggest level,” Fargo continued, “there will be areas that will be completely different. Gone, destroyed. There’s not one just like it to make up for it. It’s just gone.”

“And we show the reactivity,” Keenan said. “If you go to one area, you start to hear radio calls from the other. They’re getting taken over, and if you try to veer back, you see the destruction from that, and they’re in a completely different state. For instance, if you’re too late to a call, maybe robots took it out. If you go there, you’re gonna see carnage. Piles of dead bodies. No robots left to kill because they’ve moved on.”

The massively large amount of Kickstarter funding seems to be a huge reason why this kind of reactivity is possible. Fargo says they're "over-funded" and he's focused solely on delivering a game that people talk about years down the road, 10 or 20 years even.

eUYPk97.png

#34 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

• Review Editor
  • 19394 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:18 PM

they're "over-funded"

first-world problems :lol:

CMt.png

#35 bp9801

bp9801

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

they're "over-funded"

first-world problems :lol:

lol, right? Three times over what they had originally asked for, so why not. "We have too much money. Literally, we do." :lol:

eUYPk97.png

#36 bp9801

bp9801

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8102 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

RPS also posted this lovely article that makes me immediately envious of the author.

I want this game. NOW!

eUYPk97.png