How many DOAs have you had?

TheyCallMeGunny

I'm actually a bit surprised by how few people have had multiple DOAs. And the brand names coming up are both surprising and expected: ASUS has been for me, the one brand that I could abuse to no end and it's reliable as anything. Western Digital, too. But I'm seeing quite a few people having problems with ASUS.

And I saw a post about "something minor, too cheap to RMA" and it reminded me of something.. I have had other DOAs, if you'd consider it that. Just a 140mm fan, a media reader, and a fan filter. All of which except the fan were quickly fixed with a pair of needle nose pliers, they were just bent and crushed on delivery.

I mean I built about 100 computers for people last year. Each PC has about 8 main parts. So that is 800 parts; 23 out of 800 is not too terribly bad.

I still think that's pretty unlucky. I've built nearly that many over the years and can only think of one dead part.

I'm actually a bit surprised by how few people have had multiple DOAs. And the brand names coming up are both surprising and expected: ASUS has been for me, the one brand that I could abuse to no end and it's reliable as anything. Western Digital, too. But I'm seeing quite a few people having problems with ASUS.

And I saw a post about "something minor, too cheap to RMA" and it reminded me of something.. I have had other DOAs, if you'd consider it that. Just a 140mm fan, a media reader, and a fan filter. All of which except the fan were quickly fixed with a pair of needle nose pliers, they were just bent and crushed on delivery.

I think most folks on here feel like ASUS is a reliable brand, that's probably why there's more DOA from them than anyone else. I mean you have to look at the volume at which people buy stuff as well, if we all are heavy ASUS buyers, the likelihood of receiving ASUS items DOA is higher than that of items from a brand only one person on the forum has bought anything from.

Can't say I'm surprised by how few DOAs there are here, I would say most on OCC generally read reviews, and buy higher end parts. Being informed while making a purchase dramatically decreases chances of DOA items I would think.

• Like 1

that would have been me doing that, me and my friends years ago when cdkeys were still the norm we would go to bestbuy and open all the boxes and write down the cdkeys or just take the disc out.

I did stupid things in the past lol.

Yea, when I got home and the key was bad, I knew exactly what happened :glare::lol: Heck at that point with software, the return policies were so lax, I could have bought CS:CZ, went home activated the key, and returned the box and CD :ph34r: But, I also don't remember new PC games being release at $60+ back then....TY hbc :rofl:

Not really. When you consider the percentage of doa I get as compared to working products, I am still at about 10% which is totally unlucky, it is just not as bad as 23 sounds.

I mean I built about 100 computers for people last year. Each PC has about 8 main parts. So that is 800 parts; 23 out of 800 is not too terribly bad.

The 4 that I had was a bit of a bad luck with my SSDs but I don't think that counts considering it was what I like to call a cascading DOA.

100 PCs last year = 1 every 3.65 days, with 10% of those components being DOA. I agree with Waco, that is so crazy unlucky, that it almost sounds hard to believe. Hope you have some special red phone that gets you right to the RMA dept at each manufacturer, cause I would have been going postal after probably the 3rd DOA...3 down 20 to go :doh:

I think most folks on here feel like ASUS is a reliable brand, that's probably why there's more DOA from them than anyone else. I mean you have to look at the volume at which people buy stuff as well, if we all are heavy ASUS buyers, the likelihood of receiving ASUS items DOA is higher than that of items from a brand only one person on the forum has bought anything from.

Can't say I'm surprised by how few DOAs there are here, I would say most on OCC generally read reviews, and buy higher end parts. Being informed while making a purchase dramatically decreases chances of DOA items I would think.

+1. Good point, I didn't really consider those influences.

--Edit: Please tell me you aren't a brony. Sorry, I have to ask.

Edited by dragonsdontfly

Wait a tick...didn't Tjj say before that he only RMA'd through the manufacturer? He must be waiting indefinitely for parts then...:lol:

A lot of what it is is the customer will want the cheapest crap available. I tell them that it is a TERRIBLE idea, but they don't listen to me. So I end up getting a 30 dollar 700 watt PSU or something ridiculous like it, and it turns out to be DOA.

And yes, I do go through the manufacturer, but I have always had quick turn around. The longest I have even gone without a piece of hardware due to an RMA was about 1 month and that was through Antec. Soooooooooo it works for me, and I don't really know what is wrong with everyone else :dunno:

When you look at the parts I did get waco, you would be surprised if they did work. Believe me :glare:

And yes, I do go through the manufacturer, but I have always had quick turn around. The longest I have even gone without a piece of hardware due to an RMA was about 1 month and that was through Antec. Soooooooooo it works for me, and I don't really know what is wrong with everyone else :dunno:

I don't see the point in doing that when retailers will typically have MUCH faster turnaround times.