45 replies to this topic

#25 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3278 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I buy a lot of things online, but I have only had DOA, my ASUS sound card.

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 3X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panels and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Silver's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Emotiva MiniX-a-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums and Paradigm H15NC --- (Headphone AMP) --- Schitt Magni

#26 dragonsdontfly

dragonsdontfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'm actually a bit surprised by how few people have had multiple DOAs. And the brand names coming up are both surprising and expected: ASUS has been for me, the one brand that I could abuse to no end and it's reliable as anything. Western Digital, too. But I'm seeing quite a few people having problems with ASUS.

And I saw a post about "something minor, too cheap to RMA" and it reminded me of something.. I have had other DOAs, if you'd consider it that. Just a 140mm fan, a media reader, and a fan filter. All of which except the fan were quickly fixed with a pair of needle nose pliers, they were just bent and crushed on delivery.

#27 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15211 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

I mean I built about 100 computers for people last year. Each PC has about 8 main parts. So that is 800 parts; 23 out of 800 is not too terribly bad.

I still think that's pretty unlucky. I've built nearly that many over the years and can only think of one dead part.

Posted Image

Booyah.

#28 Deathmineral

Deathmineral

No soup for you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3811 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm actually a bit surprised by how few people have had multiple DOAs. And the brand names coming up are both surprising and expected: ASUS has been for me, the one brand that I could abuse to no end and it's reliable as anything. Western Digital, too. But I'm seeing quite a few people having problems with ASUS.

And I saw a post about "something minor, too cheap to RMA" and it reminded me of something.. I have had other DOAs, if you'd consider it that. Just a 140mm fan, a media reader, and a fan filter. All of which except the fan were quickly fixed with a pair of needle nose pliers, they were just bent and crushed on delivery.

I think most folks on here feel like ASUS is a reliable brand, that's probably why there's more DOA from them than anyone else. I mean you have to look at the volume at which people buy stuff as well, if we all are heavy ASUS buyers, the likelihood of receiving ASUS items DOA is higher than that of items from a brand only one person on the forum has bought anything from.

Can't say I'm surprised by how few DOAs there are here, I would say most on OCC generally read reviews, and buy higher end parts. Being informed while making a purchase dramatically decreases chances of DOA items I would think.

Posted Image

#29 Speedway

Speedway

IRL is back, Go Penske!

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

that would have been me doing that, me and my friends years ago when cdkeys were still the norm we would go to bestbuy and open all the boxes and write down the cdkeys or just take the disc out.

I did stupid things in the past lol.

Yea, when I got home and the key was bad, I knew exactly what happened :glare: :lol: Heck at that point with software, the return policies were so lax, I could have bought CS:CZ, went home activated the key, and returned the box and CD :ph34r: But, I also don't remember new PC games being release at $60+ back then....TY hbc :rofl:

Not really. When you consider the percentage of doa I get as compared to working products, I am still at about 10% which is totally unlucky, it is just not as bad as 23 sounds.

I mean I built about 100 computers for people last year. Each PC has about 8 main parts. So that is 800 parts; 23 out of 800 is not too terribly bad.

The 4 that I had was a bit of a bad luck with my SSDs but I don't think that counts considering it was what I like to call a cascading DOA.

100 PCs last year = 1 every 3.65 days, with 10% of those components being DOA. I agree with Waco, that is so crazy unlucky, that it almost sounds hard to believe. Hope you have some special red phone that gets you right to the RMA dept at each manufacturer, cause I would have been going postal after probably the 3rd DOA...3 down 20 to go :doh:

Life Begins @ 220mph

I7 2600K - ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z - 16GB Mushkin Redline 2133MHz - ASUS GTX 680- (2) Corsair Force GT 120GB SSDs RAID 0 - (2) 750GB WD Black HDDs RAID 0 - 900W Tagan BZ Series - U2-UFO

Dual Loop Water Cooling - Koolance RP-452X2 - CPU -> Koolance CPU-360 - Thermochill TA 120.3 - Liang D5 GPU -> D5 - XSPC RX360 - Koolance VID-NX680

The Cube Build Log - Update Coming

Guide for Unlocking MSi Afterburner

Heatware

#30 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15211 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

Wait a tick...didn't Tjj say before that he only RMA'd through the manufacturer? He must be waiting indefinitely for parts then...:lol:

Posted Image

Booyah.

#31 dragonsdontfly

dragonsdontfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I think most folks on here feel like ASUS is a reliable brand, that's probably why there's more DOA from them than anyone else. I mean you have to look at the volume at which people buy stuff as well, if we all are heavy ASUS buyers, the likelihood of receiving ASUS items DOA is higher than that of items from a brand only one person on the forum has bought anything from.

Can't say I'm surprised by how few DOAs there are here, I would say most on OCC generally read reviews, and buy higher end parts. Being informed while making a purchase dramatically decreases chances of DOA items I would think.

+1. Good point, I didn't really consider those influences.

--Edit: Please tell me you aren't a brony. Sorry, I have to ask.

Edited by dragonsdontfly, 14 March 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#32 Deathmineral

Deathmineral

No soup for you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3811 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

+1. Good point, I didn't really consider those influences.

--Edit: Please tell me you aren't a brony. Sorry, I have to ask.

Well I don't consider myself a brony but I do enjoy the cartoon.

Posted Image

#33 Tjj226_Angel

Tjj226_Angel

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:04 AM

Wait a tick...didn't Tjj say before that he only RMA'd through the manufacturer? He must be waiting indefinitely for parts then...:lol:

A lot of what it is is the customer will want the cheapest crap available. I tell them that it is a TERRIBLE idea, but they don't listen to me. So I end up getting a 30 dollar 700 watt PSU or something ridiculous like it, and it turns out to be DOA.

And yes, I do go through the manufacturer, but I have always had quick turn around. The longest I have even gone without a piece of hardware due to an RMA was about 1 month and that was through Antec. Soooooooooo it works for me, and I don't really know what is wrong with everyone else :dunno:

When you look at the parts I did get waco, you would be surprised if they did work. Believe me :glare:

#34 Il_napoletano

Il_napoletano

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

I remember the days when you could play multiplayer with one disk...when it gets to a certain part of the game take the cd out and put it in the other computer :D

Edited by Il_napoletano, 15 March 2012 - 06:35 AM.

Cooler Master Haf 932
Asus P6T SE
Intel i7 950 @ stock
12GB Corsair Vengence 1866mhz

XFX 6970 2GB @1600x1200px atm

Samsung 830 120GB SSD 

WD Raptor 10k rpm

Segate barracuda 750GB
64x Windows 7 Ultimate

#35 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15211 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

And yes, I do go through the manufacturer, but I have always had quick turn around. The longest I have even gone without a piece of hardware due to an RMA was about 1 month and that was through Antec. Soooooooooo it works for me, and I don't really know what is wrong with everyone else :dunno:

I don't see the point in doing that when retailers will typically have MUCH faster turnaround times.

Posted Image

Booyah.

#36 Anigamu

Anigamu

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Only one, Crosshair V Formula.