A friend gave me this...

So a friend gave me some of his old computer for free today, he just bought an i7 and a LGA2011 board for it. He said he thinks the CPU on the old board is decent and might work for the HTPC ive been talking about building, so I say sure. I open it up to see 4gb of OCZ reaper, an Intel QX6850 cpu, and two 9800GT's on a XFX nForce 680i sli series Mobo.

Now what? I feel like it has some potential, I know it's not a 2600k or anything, but I want to do something with it, considering I dunno if it is even worth selling.

Any thoughts? Is it HTPC worthy?

Edited by mojunikey7

Overkill for HTPC IMO.

QX6850 used to be ~$900 (forgot the price). A $900 processor is totally waste for HTPC.

And it may be even faster that your 965BE.

So, use it as a secondary PC.

Basically I'm going to do one of three thing with this. I'm either going to make a decently overpowered (and probably overheating) HTPC for my living room, turn it into a school computer for my wife (which she really won't need once I go on deployment anyhow) or try to sell it on the cheap and purchase parts for a phenom HTPC build with on board video

Any ideas? I don't fold or anything like that, but if I can scrounge up the extra cash to make a second computer I might do that.