38 replies to this topic

#37 WARDOZERX

WARDOZERX

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Downclock the crap out of it and make it a HTPC. That's what I'd do anyway. :cheers:

This isn't a bad idea and you can use the second 9800GT for dedicated folding if you choose to leave the system as it is.

If the hardware was directly traded off for hardware more suitable for an HTPC this is something that could probably be accepted but if you do this try to keep as much of the original hardware as you can. If you trade off the 680i board and a single 9800GT you can get a more reliable and better suited motherboard like a Gigabyte, ASUS or DFI P35 board. Personally I would see no wrong in this and I don't think many if any would disagree that this would be acceptable to keep the bulk of the machine or as much as you can intact and only changing out the parts that would make it better quited for HTPC use.

If the system did not have a PSU, HDD or optical drives then it could be considered acceptable to trade off the board, CPU and one of the video cards for a lesser, dual-core CPU, decent yet reasonable board and a PSU and HDD as this would help keep the value of parts traded about equal while making the machine fully functional and as long as you keep the ram, case and one of the video cards then all should be well.

Edited by WARDOZERX, 12 April 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Play Gang Garrison 2 http://ganggarrison.com/ The most fun you will ever have with 8-bit entertainment :D

For the love of teh PC gawds, it's MYTH0S with an M not Ivythos with an :rtfm: . MYTH! IT'S IVIYTH0S. NOT IVYTHOS. And you call yourselves enthusists. Pfft   :wallbash: STOP CALLING HIM IVY! IVIYTH0SStop calling me IVY, MY NAME ISN'T FN "IVY"! Bosco: His name isn't Ivy. Onion: His name isn't Ivy. Ccokeman: His name isn't Ivy. Stonerboy779: I thought his name was Ivy? 

#38 d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG FTW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4120 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

As I have said earlier, fold!
Or You can use it as HTPC.

boozei.gif

#39 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20372 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Talk to your friend, I'd sell it and get something efficient (aka not as hot running) that you can fit in a small package. HTPC is all about energy, space and noise efficiency, the less the better,

The CPU *was* a beast, the SLI *was* pretty good (less so if they're 512MB), and the motherboard has an nvidia chipset (enough said here).

Sorry I'm the one downer, I mean it's a great system for free but it'd be far more useful in someone else's hands IMHO.

Get a little AMD fusion mini-ITX system, I know from experience this is an amazing HTPC setup (especially if you pop a little 64GB SSD into it like I did, the little monster seems to be just as fast as my desktop for anything other than gaming)

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech