Photo
- - - - -

Are HTPC going Obsolete with the advancement of Smart TVs?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Are HTPC going Obsolete with the advancement of Smart TVs? (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Are HTPCs becoming Obsolete?

1. Yes (4 votes [10.26%])

Percentage of vote: 10.26%

2. No (18 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

3. Possibly (17 votes [43.59%])

Percentage of vote: 43.59%

Vote

#1 neddamttocs

neddamttocs

Total Nerd

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2273 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

With how powerful and advanced today's smart TVs are, will HTPCs become obsolete?

OCC Rules || Follow OCC on Posted Image

Posted Image

| Intel E8400 | Asus P5Q | 4GB of G.Skill PQ 8000 RAM | Palit 4850 512MB Sonic | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 |
| 2x 320GB in Raid0 for OS + 750GB for data | D-Link DNS323 w/2TB for Media |

#2 dr_bowtie

dr_bowtie

Chronic Haggler...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18033 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

I honestly think they will be.... especially once smart TVs have good browsing capabilities...

Standalone HTPCs are rather expensive compared to small form factor PCs.... but the HTPC craze hasnt caught on to the general population.....

I wonder myself how many devices that could be used as a cheap, effective HTPC have been sold as in the Zotac Z-Box.... I really want to play with a Z-Box Nano A-350 just to see how they do
Wii-Kart code 2707-2013-4642~~~~~~ Diablo 3 drbowtie#1495

Commodore64....playing Crysis on high

Posted Image

**Noctua Owners Club: Member #2 - NH-D14**

#3 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5256 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

In a general sense yes but i do believe they will still have a market for quiet some time to come.

Posted Image

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#4 Deathmineral

Deathmineral

No soup for you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3811 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

In my opinion, they won't. I think it depends on what each person uses it for though, for what I do/want to do, a real HTPC is preferable over a Smart TV. On top of that, I don't like the idea of a Smart TV anyway, it's going to make it more expensive than if it were just a regular TV and should they become the standard, I'd end up paying extra for features I really don't want.

Posted Image

#5 BluePanda

BluePanda

Lab Rat

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2217 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

In my opinion, there will always be the custom build HTPCs out there. I think the big change will be the addition of people with more than just TV access -- with the Wii and XBox being netflix capable and having some sort of internet browsing capabilities it would only be a matter of time before people would want more from their TVs.

I feel those who want the most will want more than just a TV remote, and will have either full on systems, with media storage drives like most of the HTPC here on the forum. Others will just be happy with a TV with a slightly advanced version of Linux running.

Like I said, it's not that HTPCs will disappear; I almost believe more people will become interested in them over Google TV and such...

Mine won't be leaving anytime soon...

#6 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15204 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

Until you can hang a lot of mass storage off of them...I don' think so.

Posted Image

Booyah.

#7 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6449 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Until you can hang a lot of mass storage off of them...I don' think so.

+1, and Smart TV's have their limitations, whereas you can customize a HTPC to do whatever it needs to do... and it's cheaper to upgrade parts.

#8 TheHippi

TheHippi

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Maybe they will for the general public, but us enthusiasts will have them for a long time. The problem with smart tv's is you can't upgrade them. You have to go out and buy an entirely new tv. Whereas with a HTPC you can just unplug, buy a new tv that isn't as expensive as a comparable smart tv, and plug back in.

Although I do think that things like the Logitech Revue could be big if Google ever gets their act together with content licensing.
Posted Image

Desktop: i7 950 @ 4.0 w/ 1.3 Vcore | Asus Sabertooth x58 | MSI GTX 460 1 GB | 6 GB G-Skill 1600
Titan Fenrir | WD Black 500 GB & Seagate 7200.12 1TB | XFX 650W PSU | Cooler Master CM 590
Laptop: Gateway P-7908u | p8700 | GTX 260m | 4 GB DDR3

The main difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence can recognize its own stupidity.

#9 NikoDG

NikoDG

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

Maybe they will for the general public, but us enthusiasts will have them for a long time. The problem with smart tv's is you can't upgrade them. You have to go out and buy an entirely new tv. Whereas with a HTPC you can just unplug, buy a new tv that isn't as expensive as a comparable smart tv, and plug back in.

Although I do think that things like the Logitech Revue could be big if Google ever gets their act together with content licensing.

Seconded, I think for people who are capable of building their own HTPC's it is a much better idea to get a standard tv (not a smart tv, but with good picture quality of course). Then you can take the $1000+ you'll save not getting a smart tv and build an easily upgradable HTPC, which will do the job much better than any smart tv can. But then again, I hooked my main computer up to my tv, so it acts as an HTPC on top of many other things.

#10 CheeseMan42

CheeseMan42

Certified NVIDIA Fanboy

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3638 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:55 AM

I honestly think they will be.... especially once smart TVs have good browsing capabilities...

Standalone HTPCs are rather expensive compared to small form factor PCs.... but the HTPC craze hasnt caught on to the general population.....

I wonder myself how many devices that could be used as a cheap, effective HTPC have been sold as in the Zotac Z-Box.... I really want to play with a Z-Box Nano A-350 just to see how they do

I've got one from Foxconn and it works great.

i7 950 @ ??? | Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS Sabretooth X58 | 4x2GB GSkill Ripjaws | Palit 460 GTX Sonic 1GB | 64GB Kingston SSDNow + 128GB Kingston SSDNow | Corsair 750TX | CM Stacker 830 | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD555 | Microsoft Habu | CM Quick Fire Rapid
Foxconn HTPC - AMD E350 APU | 4GB RAM || Samsung Chromebook || Google Nexus 7

Steam | Xfire | For Sale Thread | OCC Steam Group | Follow OCC on Posted Image
Gr4vitas (3/18/09) - So moral of the story is. Vista 64 bit makes me happy in the pants.

#11 hardnrg

hardnrg

Overclocking the i7... finally

• Honorary Staff
  • 16487 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

Does a "smart TV" have:

dual DVB-T tuners?
dual satellite tuners?
DVD/BD disc drive?
automatic movie/tv series info for networked media?
play ALL video formats?
play ALL audio formats?
play ALL pc games?
series record on multi-channels?
live pause/rewind (amount of pause time limited by disk space only)?

These are reasons why I made a HTPC because the features of my TV weren't sufficient... I can't see all that being integrated into a smart TV any time soon...

( How To Ask A Question ) · ( F@H Sigpics ) · ( Rules ) · ( USB Bootdrive ) · ( Modding & Computer Stores ) · ( OCC facebook.png )
i7 920 D0 @ 21x196=4116, HT on · D-Tek Fuzion v1 · 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-10666 @ DDR1176, 8-8-8-22-1T
BFG/XFX GTX260 Maxcore SLI @ 756/1512/1188 (Swiftech MCW60-R + Swiftech GTX200) · Asus P6T Deluxe V2
X-Fi XtremeMusic (Hotrodded) · PCP&C Silencer 750

Athlon II X4 635 @ 2900 · 2x 2GB PC2-6400 · HD5550 1GB · Asus M4A77D · Antec Neopower 480

EeePC 1000H @ 12x164=1965 · 1x 2GB Corsair VS PC2-5300 · Gigabyte Aircruiser N300 GN-WI06N

#12 d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG FTW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4120 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Possibly. Thanks to smart TVs.

boozei.gif