2 replies to this topic

#1 Mercman

Mercman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Good day all

As I am quite new to over clocking and this is my first pc I have that I have OC a friend asked me about over and under volting a CPU. What are the pros and cons of each and which one do you prefer and why?

He also has a X58 setup with a i7 920 DO and wants to know more or less with what volts van he run 4GHZ?

Thanks
[email protected](1.104V) - GIGABYTE G-POWER PRO 2 CPU COOLER - 12GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ - GIGABYTE GA-X58-UD3R REV.2 - GIGABYTE GTX670 OC 2GB - THERMALTAKE TOUGH POWER 700W MODULAR - HAF-X CASE - 2TB SAMSUNG HHD (SATA) - 160GB SEAGATE (SATA) - RAZER MAMBA MOUSE- MICROSOFT / RAZER RECLUSA KEYBOARD - WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64 BIT

#2 Shurman292

Shurman292

The Shurmanator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

1.4 volts on vcore is a little high for the CPU, even a 920.

Overvolting: Useful if you want to overclock and boost the speed of your processor. But only use as much voltage as you need! Do not push it too far, otherwise you can burn up the chip.

Undervolting: Useful if you want to run your system as cool as possible while saving money on electricity.

Both of these settings should be tested extensively with a stressing program (such as Prime95) and monitored (with Coretemp).

Here is a good guide to help your friend understand how to overclock/undervolt.

The Beast
CPU: i7 930 @ 4.01 ghz, 1.26v ||| Cooler: Corsair H100i
MB:ASUS P6X58D-E ||| RAM: G.Skill 6 x 2 GB @ 1528mhz/9-9-9-24/1.6v
Video: Nvidia GTX 480 @ 775mhz/1880mhz ||| Sound: ASUS Xonar D2X
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB ||| HDDs: WD 1TB and 2TB Caviar Blacks
Optical: LG BD Writer ||| Case: CM Storm Trooper with Scythe side fans
Power: Corsair AX1200 Gold ||| OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

#3 Mercman

Mercman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:13 AM

1.4 volts on vcore is a little high for the CPU, even a 920.

Overvolting: Useful if you want to overclock and boost the speed of your processor. But only use as much voltage as you need! Do not push it too far, otherwise you can burn up the chip.

Undervolting: Useful if you want to run your system as cool as possible while saving money on electricity.

Both of these settings should be tested extensively with a stressing program (such as Prime95) and monitored (with Coretemp).

Here is a good guide to help your friend understand how to overclock/undervolt.

thanks for the reply's.

just wanted to get my facts straight and it will be someone elses hardware and not mine so i dont want to mess stuff up.

will try and hit 4 GHZ over the weekend with his system and hopefully get it stable.

thanks
[email protected](1.104V) - GIGABYTE G-POWER PRO 2 CPU COOLER - 12GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600MHZ - GIGABYTE GA-X58-UD3R REV.2 - GIGABYTE GTX670 OC 2GB - THERMALTAKE TOUGH POWER 700W MODULAR - HAF-X CASE - 2TB SAMSUNG HHD (SATA) - 160GB SEAGATE (SATA) - RAZER MAMBA MOUSE- MICROSOFT / RAZER RECLUSA KEYBOARD - WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64 BIT