What's the difference between a Phenom II and a Sandy Bridge?

Apparently about 50%. :lol:

http://3dmark.com/compare/3dmv/3911431/3dmv/3924163

~31K versus ~19K

My 2600K decided to commit suicide on Friday. Why? The hell if I know. It was running 4.5 GHz at 1.45 volts which isn't even close to dangerous for a SB CPU...but whatever. I'll be calling Intel tomorrow to set up the RMA since apparently they don't have ANY way to submit an RMA request online. :glare:

But yeah - after much pain and suffering - I got my backed up system image to boot on my old AMD mobo/CPU. Inserting drivers into a non-bootable installation of Windows is difficult. I'll leave it at that. :lol:

Anyway - the point of this thread is to laugh at just how much of a difference there is between a decent Phenom II quad and a Sandy Bridge quad. :P I honestly didn't expect to see that much of a difference in FPS. :teehee:

sucks to hear about the chip....

one of the things I like about Win7 is just swapping hardware and booting... I swapped out my Intel stuff for AMD and just hooked up the drive and booted it to the desktop... it loaded the right drivers and re-sync'd the video cards and I didnt do anything...lol I have yet to have win7 BSOD on start up

1.45V's is way too much for 4.5GHz. You should easily get stable at 1.35V's or even less at that overclock.

+1, not even, my current chip can do it at 1.29v.. but yeah that does suck.

Moral of the story, be a square and under volt. evilgrin.gif

1.45V's is way too much for 4.5GHz. You should easily get stable at 1.35V's or even less at that overclock.

My 2600K was a dud though. Anything under that and it'd crash almost instantly running IntelBurnTest on 4 cores (locked to 0/2/4/6) or with 8 threads.

sucks to hear about the chip....

one of the things I like about Win7 is just swapping hardware and booting... I swapped out my Intel stuff for AMD and just hooked up the drive and booted it to the desktop... it loaded the right drivers and re-sync'd the video cards and I didnt do anything...lol I have yet to have win7 BSOD on start up

Try swapping an Intel board running a RAID setup to an AMD board with the same RAID setup. :lol: You'll get a 0x7B error every single time until you manage to inject the drivers into the install. It's PAINFUL. I'll leave it at that.

What temperatures were you hitting?

Are you sure it's the chip that's dead?

Running IBT I never broke 50 C. I tried my CPU in two other boards, it just boot loops (on for ~1 second, off for 5, then on again). BluePanda's 2600K booted up instantly in the board too. :ouch:

supposedly they are going to or are offering a enhancement package thats a 1-time fee and they will replace a 2*00 CPU 1 time due to over clocking if it dies... after that you're out of luck...

according to the warranty if you overclocked the warranty is Void...

Btw, is this the same system you had your AMD FX issues on? Do you think your PSU might be causing issues?

Different PSU between the two of them.

The issues I had with the FX chip were due to ASRock not being able to produce a stable BIOS more than anything else. :lol:

supposedly they are going to or are offering a enhancement package thats a 1-time fee and they will replace a 2*00 CPU 1 time due to over clocking if it dies... after that you're out of luck...

according to the warranty if you overclocked the warranty is Void...

This is pretty much the one time I'll be a jackass and tell them otherwise. While my chip was a dud from the start, the voltages I was running absolutely should not have killed it. I'm hoping it wasn't something else with my system because if my Phenom II dies in the next few weeks I'm going to break something. :lol:

EDIT:

Also - AMD chipsets absolutely suck in comparison to Intel chipsets when it comes to storage. My RAID array of Vertex 3s won't break 500 MB/s on my AMD rig but easily breaks 1 GB/s on an Intel chipset. :mellow: