Photo
- - - - -

Bat Signal on a PC?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: Bat Signal Case Window? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Does a Bat Signal Cutout in a brightly lit case window sound interesting? The case lighting already shines shapes on my wall, but is merely mesh air holes right now.

1. I like it. (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. It's interesting, but unsure. (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Not very interesting, but I'm still curious. (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. I don't like the idea. (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dragonsdontfly

dragonsdontfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

I want to mod my PC case, cut out a window for translucent colored plexiglass. Haven't figured out my color yet, but coming up with various ideas. This isn't going to happen right away, but waiting for my new cold cathodes has me thinking up ideas.

Case: Rosewill Challenger, ludicrous amounts of blaringly bright blue LED fans.

I figured my dimensions for the window would be exactly 11" tall by 9" wide, place level with the bottom of my motherboard and both sides, falling 0.6" below the top of my motherboard on the top-side of the window. Showing off only the meat, not the drive bays or the bottom where wiring is hidden.

With the lighting in my case, it creates a glow on my wall shaped after each hole in it...

So I had a goofy idea: Cut out a window, but leave some of the metal in place, in the shape of the bat signal!

Who likes this idea? Who doesn't? Has it been done before (a brief googling came up with nothing for me, but I swear someone HAS TO have done this by now)?

__Edits: Typo corrections.

Edited by dragonsdontfly, 25 February 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#2 dragonsdontfly

dragonsdontfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Posted Image

The silver/grey seen would be a metal sheet attached to the case, I plan to entirely remove and replace the grating with this panel (embossed about 1/8" Outward from case wall), with rubber edging. Edging would be for appearance purposes only. I am open to black with grey edging, or grey panel with black edging, or all black/silver. Suggestions would be great.

I am considering green plexiglass, with all blue interior LEDs and cathodes (i have all the blue stuff already, but wanted a little contrast in the window color itself.) But I'm completely open to other PlexiGlass colors, though I already have blue lighting so that's what I have to base the plexiglass decision on.

I would probably make the gap just wide enough to mount one of the cold cathodes right in the middle of the design for brightest "spotlight" effect, and line the other along the bottom of the case for general component visibility, which should also prevent the two light streams from "blending" with each other against the wall: As only one of them would be at an angle that could pass through the windows, and it would be angled for a "wide spread" of the two windows, stretching them into a large image on my wall.

One last idea: Could simply cut dense adhesive tape (black, opaque) into a phrase. "To the batcave!" is one humorous idea that came to mind. I'd post this on the interior of the bottom panel if so.

Please comment with any new ideas, and I WILL document this if I decide to go through with it.

Edited by dragonsdontfly, 25 February 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#3 jack_of_java

jack_of_java

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

It'd be very curious to see what this looks like when you finish. The only downsides that I can think of by doing this is 1) the heat created by the light 2) loss of airflow if you use some sort of reflective shield to strengthen the beam of light 3) the brightness keeping you up at night. Otherwise, it does sound like an interesting idea. I kind of think it would almost be like one of those alarm clocks that displays the time on the ceiling. Keep us posted and remember pictures!

#4 dragonsdontfly

dragonsdontfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

It'd be very curious to see what this looks like when you finish. The only downsides that I can think of by doing this is 1) the heat created by the light 2) loss of airflow if you use some sort of reflective shield to strengthen the beam of light 3) the brightness keeping you up at night. Otherwise, it does sound like an interesting idea. I kind of think it would almost be like one of those alarm clocks that displays the time on the ceiling. Keep us posted and remember pictures!

Will do. But I've had to put it off for a while. I still plan to get it done, but all my upgrades are on hold for a bit (especially my GPU, which sucks). Just taking a little longer than expected to find a tenant for my old place, which means I'm still paying for 2 places at once.. until that's rented out, I don't have much excess income to work off of: So this is on hold for now. I'm expecting anywhere from 1-6 weeks. the place is a steal to begin with, it's just sorting the tenants out that's taking so long.

#5 airman

airman

I NEEDA BISCUIT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5287 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

Stick that on a water jet. That'd be badass.

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8 - Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 - 2x4gb Mushkin PC16000 - XFX HD 7970 Black OC Edition - Mushkin Joule 1000W - Seagate 7200.11 1TB - Corsair H100 - Acer 23.5" 3x1 Eyefinity

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 dragonsdontfly

dragonsdontfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Got my second apartment leased out. That means I have money to start working on this. However, I'm buying a GTX 580 first thing in April. So it might be a May project depending on cost, as I can't afford to buy too much all at once.

But it's definitely affordable again. Just a question of this month or next.

#7 spectrascope

spectrascope

must take oc higher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1681 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

On the bat window you may find easier just cut the bat shape of the panel don't edge the hole it will leave you with a soft edge instead of a crisp just and the edge smooth and use touch up paint on this bare edge to color match it. Then use a rectangular peice of plexi, mounted behind hole with internally reflect if film mounted on the back of the plate and the front of the plate, put an led or elwire light strip mounted around the square and foil behind. Then spray bomb the whole thing to match the case color then mount the plate temporarily so can trace your bat symbol on the front and cut it away to reveal your bat symbol I would then cut away about an extra 1/4" of foil around the symbol so the hard metal edge would give it a laser cut look. Anyway that is just how I would do it, what ever you do I am sure it will look great.

Primary Rig - Win 8 64-bit pro | Secondary rig/media server - win 7 64-bit pro

AMD FX8150 @ 4Ghz 4.2Ghz turbo 1.28v G2 Pro Cooler, Asus Sabertooth 990 R2.0 24hr prime stable 63C Max | AMD 610e cooled via COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520, Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3

32GB 4x8GB Geil, sniper ddr3 1866 | 16GB 4x4GB 1600mhz DDR3 balistics

Galaxy GTX 560Ti 1GB SOC White edition 1Ghz core/2GHz shader/4.5GHz mem 256bit bus | Zotac GT545 1.5GB 900mhz core/2Ghz shader/1Ghz mem 192bit bus

Gigabyte GTX550ti 1GB 1Ghz core/2Ghz shader/4.2GHz mem 192 bit bus | 5.6TB of HDD currently - soon to to be 8TB

100GB ocz revo2 pci-e 4x - os drive - 760MB/s read 600MB/s write | Antec 550w earth watts continuous

512GB transcend sata III ssd 560MB/s read 540MB/s write | NTXZ - GAMMA classic with 4 ENERMAX MAGMA 120mm bat wing fans

64GB Transcend SSD SATA III 560MB/s read 540MB/s write for page file | Laptops Leveno T410 i5/4GB win 7 pro 64, x120e e350, 4GB, 128GB samsung Sata 3 SSD

PC&PC 750 from before ocz bought them and an Antec 620 earth watts continuous triggered via 12v relay for GPUs | DIsplays 22" 1080p 60hz LCD, 40" LED 1080p 120hz, 100" 720p laser projector, 20" 1600x1200

Haf 932 2x 240mm, 2x 120mm bat wing fans 1x 140mm bat wing fan | 60hz LCD, 19" 1280x1024 60hz crt for pantone editing