511 replies to this topic

#241 Speedway

Speedway

IRL is back, Go Penske!

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

Tjj, if you really have done all this crap that you say you have, shouldn't you be like the President or something by now? I mean why are you here on OCC writing books in defense of your ignorance on matters such as parenting, when you could be out there right now saving women, children, and "demon" kids? You are like the delusional OCC version of Mother Teresa. Cmon Clark Kent, grab your cape and find a phone booth, there are innocent women and children out there for you to "save" :rofl:

All I know is if I buy my son a laptop and he wants to turn into a punk teen and S all over me, then it is my right to decide wtf happens to that laptop! My son is 3, so I have no clue about how hard it is to be a parent of a teenager yet. But, I was an extremely rebellious teenager, and I know I put my parents through hell for a few years.....that still doesn't mean I know what it is like to raise a teenager. But, I do know all the crap I pulled in my day, so believe me it will be harder for my son to do the same! However, even as a parent, I can't even come close to fully understanding what it is like to raise a teenager. So until those days become closer, I get to see the joy on my 3yr old's face tomorrow at his bday party when he gets a BA Power Wheels Jeep. But, if he wants to start acting out, as the parent, I still get to decide what happens to the jeep ;)

Life Begins @ 220mph

I7 2600K - ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z - 16GB Mushkin Redline 2133MHz - ASUS GTX 680- (2) Corsair Force GT 120GB SSDs RAID 0 - (2) 750GB WD Black HDDs RAID 0 - 900W Tagan BZ Series - U2-UFO

Dual Loop Water Cooling - Koolance RP-452X2 - CPU -> Koolance CPU-360 - Thermochill TA 120.3 - Liang D5 GPU -> D5 - XSPC RX360 - Koolance VID-NX680

The Cube Build Log - Update Coming

Guide for Unlocking MSi Afterburner

Heatware

#242 dr_bowtie

dr_bowtie

Chronic Haggler...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18033 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

This.

I'm a LOT older than him and I'm smart enough to know that until I raise my own child my opinion on the matter is essentially meaningless. :lol:

yea like most of your post.... LOL yes I did :)
Wii-Kart code 2707-2013-4642~~~~~~ Diablo 3 drbowtie#1495

Commodore64....playing Crysis on high

Posted Image

**Noctua Owners Club: Member #2 - NH-D14**

#243 Muchoman1

Muchoman1

De-railer of threads, Destroyer of worlds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1562 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Tjj, if you really have done all this crap that you say you have, shouldn't you be like the President or something by now? I mean why are you here on OCC writing books in defense of your ignorance on matters such as parenting, when you could be out there right now saving women, children, and "demon" kids? You are like the delusional OCC version of Mother Teresa. Cmon Clark Kent, grab your cape and find a phone booth, there are innocent women and children out there for you to "save" :rofl:

:lol:

You are like the delusional OCC version of Mother Teresa. Cmon Clark Kent, grab your cape and find a phone booth, there are innocent women and children out there for you to "save"

that HAS to go in my sig, if your k with it

The Hive 
               i7 3930k @ 5GHz 24/7   32Gb Corsair Dominator @ 1866MHz 
                    Asus Rampage IV Extreme    3x EVGA 670 FTW @ 1300MHz Core boost
256Gb Crucial M4 - Boot Drive  4x2Tb HDD Raid 5 - Data Storage 
CPU, Motherboard, GPU and RAM watercooled  by MIPS and Heatkiller 
Heavily Modified XSPC Cube Case 

#244 Tjj226_Angel

Tjj226_Angel

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

All I know is if I buy my son a laptop and he wants to turn into a punk teen and S all over me, then it is my right to decide wtf happens to that laptop! My son is 3, so I have no clue about how hard it is to be a parent of a teenager yet. But, I was an extremely rebellious teenager, and I know I put my parents through hell for a few years.....that still doesn't mean I know what it is like to raise a teenager. But, I do know all the crap I pulled in my day, so believe me it will be harder for my son to do the same! However, even as a parent, I can't even come close to fully understanding what it is like to raise a teenager. So until those days become closer, I get to see the joy on my 3yr old's face tomorrow at his bday party when he gets a BA Power Wheels Jeep. But, if he wants to start acting out, as the parent, I still get to decide what happens to the jeep ;)

I work with Eric Cantor sometimes. The reality is that I do not get that much help from the government. Politicians do not want to get involved in that whole mess because they know that if the cross a fine line, all of the people who do think that pouring coffee is a normal chore will not vote for them.

When it comes to politicians it is all about being reelected and maintaining status. The clinics are even private clinics. Someone turned their home into basically what resembles a refugee camp. We have been asking for government funding for about 2 years now. We have got goose eggs. What it is fueled by for the moment is the lady that owns the house is about 30 or so and bother her abusive parents died, leaving her a fortune. She felt like it was almost blood money, so she has donated everything. She knows one of the local police men, and we are the ones going around doing stuff. My mom helps with cooking for them, and I help bring them in. The police do most of the work, don't get me wrong. And it is not like we are going in like cat burglars taking the kid. However, we do try to do it as clandestine as possible so that we don't get any particular family member involved in a fight.

That is besides the point.

If a kid acts out because they think it is cool, that is one thing. Shooting the laptop was way WAY over the line. Making a back up of all the data, formatting the drive and giving her back a dead laptop would have done the job just as well.

On the other hand, if the kid is getting out of line for a legit reason and has a reasonable case, then maybe we could reexamine the evidence before we go all cowboy on a laptop???

Plus I already said, the dad was already suspect for abuse anyways. Child services has the video "under investigation" which really means they are wondering if they want to deal with it or not, and the dad is suspect to be a hazard to his daughter booth with labor intensive work (extreme), and physical.

The guy was ay out of line, there was a better way of handling it, and not resolution of any issue should require guns period.

#245 Coors

Coors

????? ????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3616 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Looks like shes doing fine. So much for the whole abuse/slave labor theory.

Spoiler

MSI MPower Max - 4770K - 2x EVGA GTX780 ACX - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1866 - 2x Crucial M4 256GB raid0 - Enermax 1020w - HP ZR30w

Sager NP9170 - i7 3720QM - GTX680m - 16GB 1600Mhz - 2x Crucial M4 256GB - 17" matte display

Shuttle SP35P2V2 - E8600 4Ghz - eVGA 8800GTX ACS KO - 2x2GB g.skill PK - Samsung 500GB - 2x Dell E228wfp

#246 aaron6581230

aaron6581230

Geek

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

I work with Eric Cantor sometimes. The reality is that I do not get that much help from the government. Politicians do not want to get involved in that whole mess because they know that if the cross a fine line, all of the people who do think that pouring coffee is a normal chore will not vote for them.

When it comes to politicians it is all about being reelected and maintaining status. The clinics are even private clinics. Someone turned their home into basically what resembles a refugee camp. We have been asking for government funding for about 2 years now. We have got goose eggs. What it is fueled by for the moment is the lady that owns the house is about 30 or so and bother her abusive parents died, leaving her a fortune. She felt like it was almost blood money, so she has donated everything. She knows one of the local police men, and we are the ones going around doing stuff. My mom helps with cooking for them, and I help bring them in. The police do most of the work, don't get me wrong. And it is not like we are going in like cat burglars taking the kid. However, we do try to do it as clandestine as possible so that we don't get any particular family member involved in a fight.

That is besides the point.

If a kid acts out because they think it is cool, that is one thing. Shooting the laptop was way WAY over the line. Making a back up of all the data, formatting the drive and giving her back a dead laptop would have done the job just as well.

On the other hand, if the kid is getting out of line for a legit reason and has a reasonable case, then maybe we could reexamine the evidence before we go all cowboy on a laptop???

Plus I already said, the dad was already suspect for abuse anyways. Child services has the video "under investigation" which really means they are wondering if they want to deal with it or not, and the dad is suspect to be a hazard to his daughter booth with labor intensive work (extreme), and physical.

The guy was ay out of line, there was a better way of handling it, and not resolution of any issue should require guns period.

Alright let's get one thing straight here. I understand you work with children and families of abuse. But keep in mind, that is the complete extreme of how bad parenting can lead to. What we see in this video is an example of basic parenting technique - you give your child a privilege, they are not responsible with it, you take it away. Simple as that. Personally, I don't believe he should have shot the laptop, but he had the right idea of taking the laptop away permanently because his daughter CHOSE to highly disrespect her parents for the world to see. Children, especially of that age, need DIRECT consequences. What's going to happen when you reformat the thing and give it back to her? She's going to get back on facebook and do EXACTLY THE SAME THING. She chooses not to respect her father for buying her the laptop, putting a roof over her head, paying for food, books, etc, and she gets consequences. Simple as that!

And labor intensive work? You mean chores? Every child should develop, from an early age, a knack for having responsibility. There's a lot of work in maintaining a house, so why is it that she won't put her own share of work into keeping the place clean for the family? As he says in the video, she's not expected to clean every room, or do everyone's laundry. She's responsible for HER OWN bed, HER OWN laundry, some sweeping, and some wiping of counters. She's not expected to be like a child in a sweat shop and actually work for 18 hours a day. And you know what the second reason for these chores is? It's to get her ready to be prepared as an adult. When she eventually moves out, what is she going to do when she doesn't have the experience of a scheduled routine? Will she be as responsible not knowing what it's like to know that there ARE consequences to everything she does?

She has no right to disrespect her parents like that. And don't compare this to abusive and violent families because this isn't an example of that. There is no bloody child, or injuries, or anything in that extreme. This is a father taking his daughter's laptop away because she respected him, the family, and herself. She took something as simple as having to do chores, and made it a big deal because she doesn't understand what it takes to raise a family and maintain a living.
CPU: Intel i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Ram: Mushkin Blackline 8GB 1600MHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290X
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair TX850W V2
Boot Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB
Storage: Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM HDD
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB

#247 OwinC

OwinC

Lost Texan

• Folding Member
  • 1099 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Extreme--- Our daughter does the dishes. Vacuums the carpet. Cooks food for everyone. And the laundry.

Ok---- My wife does the dishes. Vacuums the carpet. Cooks food for everyone. And the laundry.

Ok--- I do the dishes. Vacuum the carpet. Cooks food for everyone. And the laundry.

Am I such a bad father and husband now?

It's not peer pressure, It's just your turn

There's no such thing as a dirty mind, it's just a sense of humor with adult content.....

Nobody wins. One just looses slower than the other.

#248 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5256 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

I second much earlier sentiments.

What an awesome dad.

Posted Image

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#249 Coors

Coors

????? ????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3616 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Just looked at his FB page as well. Looks like he's using the attention to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Man he is an A-hole!!...oh wait

MSI MPower Max - 4770K - 2x EVGA GTX780 ACX - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1866 - 2x Crucial M4 256GB raid0 - Enermax 1020w - HP ZR30w

Sager NP9170 - i7 3720QM - GTX680m - 16GB 1600Mhz - 2x Crucial M4 256GB - 17" matte display

Shuttle SP35P2V2 - E8600 4Ghz - eVGA 8800GTX ACS KO - 2x2GB g.skill PK - Samsung 500GB - 2x Dell E228wfp

#250 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5256 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Just looked at his FB page as well. Looks like he's using the attention to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Man he is an A-hole!!...oh wait

Thanks again Coors if you hadn't shared this I would have continued on thinking he was an awesome dad now I realize he is more than an awesome dad he is quite th A-hole.

Posted Image

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#251 Coors

Coors

????? ????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3616 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:14 PM

I'm also calling BS on the "he's been abusive in the past" claim until I see a source. Sounds like another made up story like your economics friend that proved Western Digital was ripping people off or the lawyer friend that claims using a belt to spank is illegal and the whatever else friends you have that are the experts of everything in the universe lol

edit: lol

191,577 likes, 15,579 dislikes

Look at the likes compared to dislikes.

Edited by Coors, 11 February 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#252 Tjj226_Angel

Tjj226_Angel

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2526 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

Extreme--- Our daughter does the dishes. Vacuums the carpet. Cooks food for everyone. And the laundry.

Ok---- My wife does the dishes. Vacuums the carpet. Cooks food for everyone. And the laundry.

Ok--- I do the dishes. Vacuum the carpet. Cooks food for everyone. And the laundry.

Am I such a bad father and husband now?

No, actually that is what I am looking for. You actually have it dead center to what I believe in.

What I don't believe in is for a father to ground the daughter if she mises a single item on a long list. There are normal non abusive families that have weird policies that if you miss one chore even if it is an accident, then all hell will break loose.

You have a much more balanced system. I actually say you are a much better parent than the one in the video.