Java Programming

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DLions8708

DLions8708

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Well, Im 6 classes away from completing my Associates in Computer Science and right now Im starting "Programming in Java". How hard is it compared to HTML. I took that class and it was pretty easy until the final exam.

Kyle
Posted Image

#2 AZNguyen

AZNguyen

Melting pot of friendship

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7952 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

Java is fairly easy to learn. If you learned any previous programming languages like C, then it will be even easier to learn.

Gaming || Intel i7 3770K || Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 || G.Skill 2x 4GB || EVGA GTX 680 2 GB || Corsair TX750 V2 ||

|| 3x Dell UltraSharp U2312HM || Corsair Vengeance K90 || Logitech G700s || Audio-gd NFB 15.32 || Hifiman HE400 ||

HTPC || Intel Celeron G530 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 4GB || CM Elite 460W ||

NAS || Intel Pentium G630 || Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 || G.Skill 16GB || Corsair CX430 || IBM M1015 || 21 TB Storage ||

#3 CheeseMan42

CheeseMan42

Certified NVIDIA Fanboy

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3649 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Java is much harder to learn than HTML, at least in my experience it was. And just for reference HTML isn't really a programming language.

i7 950 @ ??? | Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS Sabretooth X58 | 4x2GB GSkill Ripjaws | Palit 460 GTX Sonic 1GB | 64GB Kingston SSDNow + 128GB Kingston SSDNow | Corsair 750TX | CM Stacker 830 | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD555 | Microsoft Habu | CM Quick Fire Rapid
Foxconn HTPC - AMD E350 APU | 4GB RAM || Samsung Chromebook || Google Nexus 7

Steam | Xfire | For Sale Thread | OCC Steam Group | Follow OCC on Posted Image
Gr4vitas (3/18/09) - So moral of the story is. Vista 64 bit makes me happy in the pants.

#4 flareback

flareback

justified through faith

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1759 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Java is much harder to learn than HTML, at least in my experience it was. And just for reference HTML isn't really a programming language.

:withstupid: Java isn't that bad. I actually learned it before I learned C. Kind of wish I'd done it the other way around. But I agree, HTML isn't a programming language.
Primary Rig - Intel core i7 920 | Gigabyte EX58 UD4P | 6 GB DDR3 1333 | Sapphire Radeon HD 4850
Secondary Rig - 20 inch iMac | 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2 GB DDR2 RAM
Mobile Rig - Asus Eee pc 1000 - 1.6Ghz intel atom | 40Gig SSD | Ubuntu Netbook Remix

#5 CheeseMan42

CheeseMan42

Certified NVIDIA Fanboy

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3649 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

:withstupid: Java isn't that bad. I actually learned it before I learned C. Kind of wish I'd done it the other way around. But I agree, HTML isn't a programming language.

I simply mean that relative to HTML, learning a programming language is harder. I also learned Java as my first programming language. Then came C++ and then C. I have recently dabbled a bit into Python at work.

i7 950 @ ??? | Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS Sabretooth X58 | 4x2GB GSkill Ripjaws | Palit 460 GTX Sonic 1GB | 64GB Kingston SSDNow + 128GB Kingston SSDNow | Corsair 750TX | CM Stacker 830 | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD555 | Microsoft Habu | CM Quick Fire Rapid
Foxconn HTPC - AMD E350 APU | 4GB RAM || Samsung Chromebook || Google Nexus 7

Steam | Xfire | For Sale Thread | OCC Steam Group | Follow OCC on Posted Image
Gr4vitas (3/18/09) - So moral of the story is. Vista 64 bit makes me happy in the pants.

#6 DLions8708

DLions8708

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Your right, sorry. I knew that HTML wasnt a programming language. That it is used for website building, but i meant it in the sense that they both use psuedocode and syntax.

Kyle
Posted Image

#7 Fragsman

Fragsman

loco_frags

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

HTML have a predefined and pretty short syntax.

The same way is java. The difference is Java is much deeper. Take a look at the image at this website
http://forfivenines....-j2se-j2ee.html

You will see there are a lot of things around java like the API, virtual machine (java is independent from SO), libraries, and many more things. Also java is an Object Oriented languaje so you might find similar to C++ or C# (I never worked with those but is basically C + object oriented programming). Before learn Java in university I was introduced Smalltalk, a pure object oriented languaje (someone said is constructed with C). It was kind of hard to understand because I was used to C, Pascal, etc, but in my opinion Java is easier. You have a sintax like C and a hundred of libraries to use. You can work web with JSP, applets, etc. or, windows with AWT or Swing to draw the windows. Personally I worked with Java and JSP for work and a very little or Windows programming with AWT or swing. You can also work with Threads and many other things so the languaje is verycomplex but you can use just what you need. I think no programmr will know a 100% of Java or a complex languaje. We just use what we need like you will do.

I hope that helps.

Desktop: Intel i7 950 3.0Ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E / 6Gb DDR3 Patriot 1600Mhz / WD Black Sata3 1Tb 7200RPM / Samsung B2030 20" / EVGA 460gtx 1Gb / Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer / Edifier R133 / Thermaltake v9 Black / Cooler Master 700w / DVD RW+ LG Black 22x Sata / Corsair Vengeance 1500 Headset
Laptop: AMD Athlon 64x2 TK57 1.9Ghz // 4GBRAM // HD 120 Gb 5400RPM // ATI x1250 128Mb // 15.4" Screen

My Creation below

membergk7.gif

#8 mikedosul

mikedosul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

In the languages I learned in my CS degree (Python/Jython, Java and C along with different levels of html up to XHTML) I found Java to be second easiest to Python. But a lot of it will boil down to who you have teaching as always, a bad professor can make an easy language hard, and vice versa.
Posted Image

#9 XtremeDS

XtremeDS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

I first learned Pascal, then C++, VB 6.0 along with MYSQL, Java, then a bit of Flash, HTML, PHP, CSS and finally... a bit of Python. :P

My favorite one is definitely Python. I find it really simple and easy to learn and work with. :P

SigantureNepton_zpsc34f0dde.png

#10 Guest_johnBMitchell_*

Guest_johnBMitchell_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

Programming in Java is very hard to learn and understand. If we compare HTML with JAVA then HTML is very easy. Java includes advance coding system of programming in C and C++ but it is also good for career and application development.

Edited by johnBMitchell, 22 February 2012 - 03:29 AM.

#11 DLions8708

DLions8708

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Awesome, thanks everyone. Now I have a list in case Im stuck on some homework (As I dont want to pay for a tutor from the school...).

Thanks,
Kyle
Posted Image