28 replies to this topic

#1 Queenz

Queenz

Let me overclock my own toilet!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2225 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

I just upgraded from Verizon DSL to Time Warner Wideband with 30 mbps download speed and all I have to say is WOW!!! :blink: :blink: What a night and day difference. My Samsung SSD I bought last month came with a free download of Batman Arkham City which was like 16 gigs in file size and it only took me a little under 2 hours to download!!

Only thing is I feel that my router is holding me back. I have a wireless router connected to my new cable modem and the router is a piece of crap. Occasionally after a day of it being on I just randomly lose my internet connection and the router has to be reset. I made sure all the settings were configured right. And by the way the router use to do this when I had DSL too. So it's definately a problem with it. I even upgraded the firmware on it and that didn't fix the issue.

I'd rather save myself the headache a buy a new one. Any recommendations? I don't have a budget. The router can be $100-$300 it really doesn't matter to me. Thanks!
INFINITI FANBOY =]

My Current Build Log :: Official Post Your Build Guts Thread:: Case Painting Worklog
Intel Core i5 2500K :: Gigabyte G1. Sniper 2 Motherboard :: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB=8GB 240-Pin DDR3-1600::
Silverstone Strider Gold 850 Watt PowerSupply :: OCz 64GB Solid State Drive :: Corsair 800D Full Tower Case ::
Heatkiller LC WaterBlock :: Aquacomputer Airplex Modular Radiator :: Swiftech MCP655 Pump with Bitspower Dressup Kit :: 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Primochill White Tubing :: Bitspower Matte Black Compression Fittings :: EVGA GTX580 :: 27" Samsung LED Widescreen Monitor :: 4x Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM Slipstream's :: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

#2 Tjj226_Angel

Tjj226_Angel

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

I just upgraded from Verizon DSL to Time Warner Wideband with 30 mbps download speed and all I have to say is WOW!!! :blink: :blink: What a night and day difference. My Samsung SSD I bought last month came with a free download of Batman Arkham City which was like 16 gigs in file size and it only took me a little under 2 hours to download!!

Only thing is I feel that my router is holding me back. I have a wireless router connected to my new cable modem and the router is a piece of crap. Occasionally after a day of it being on I just randomly lose my internet connection and the router has to be reset. I made sure all the settings were configured right. And by the way the router use to do this when I had DSL too. So it's definately a problem with it. I even upgraded the firmware on it and that didn't fix the issue.

I'd rather save myself the headache a buy a new one. Any recommendations? I don't have a budget. The router can be $100-$300 it really doesn't matter to me. Thanks!

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833320062

Sexy, powerful, it works, it is made by ASUS. You can't loose.

#3 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6593 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

+1 for ASUS!

#4 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15405 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Anything you can flash with DD-WRT. I have a Cisco E2000 and it's freaking rock-solid. I've never rebooted it since last August. :lol:

sig.png

GTX 770 replaced with watercooled GTX780...but too lazy to change the sig.

#5 f!ver

f!ver

Cooler than the other side of the pillow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Linksys e4200

Pandora's Box
Intel Core i5 2550k @ 4.3Ghz
Corsair H80 watercooler
Asus P8Z68-V Mobo
Corsair Vengeance 1866 8gb
AMD HD5850 1gb

120Gb Corsair Force GT SSD
ANTEC 900w High Current PSU

#6 Speedway

Speedway

IRL is back, Go Penske!

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2265 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

I will continue the Linksys trend and say the E3000 for $79.99 at the Egg. You can even save some coin going Recertified for $49.99, prob the best deal you can get on a router this good!

I love my E3000 and haven't had any problems with it!

Life Begins @ 220mph

I7 2600K - ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z - 16GB Mushkin Redline 2133MHz - ASUS GTX 680- (2) Corsair Force GT 120GB SSDs RAID 0 - (2) 750GB WD Black HDDs RAID 0 - 900W Tagan BZ Series - U2-UFO

Dual Loop Water Cooling - Koolance RP-452X2 - CPU -> Koolance CPU-360 - Thermochill TA 120.3 - Liang D5 GPU -> D5 - XSPC RX360 - Koolance VID-NX680

The Cube Build Log - Update Coming

Guide for Unlocking MSi Afterburner

Heatware

#7 d6bmg

d6bmg

BMG FTW!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4135 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:38 AM

E3000 without any second though. That newwgg deal is very good!

boozei.gif

#8 chipstick

chipstick

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Agree with the E3000!

#9 KissMyWookie

KissMyWookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

I have had a D-LINK 655 wireless N router for 2 or 3 years now and I'm very happy with it (features/performance/configuration/reliability). Before this I had a Linksys, which was always freezing up and needed rebooting every week or two.

#10 GmAz

GmAz

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

I'd like to revive this topic. I bought the e4200 from BestBuy and it set up well. I bought the 5ghz USB adapter for my computer and that was fine. My work iPad connected fine but both my DroidX and my wife's Thundebolt refused to connect. The only way they would connect is with all encryption turned off. WEP/WPA/WPA2 and WPA/WPA2 mixed mode all didn't work. I need a new wireless router because we bought a Transformer Prime tablet and it doens't like my current Netgear N router.

My question is do you guys think there was something wrong with the e4200 which caused my phones not to connect? Would the e2000 or e3000 fare better? I'm a fan of ASUS (except their customer service) so I'd be willing to give that one a shot. Do any of you have one of the e-series Linksys routers connected to either a DroidX or Thunderbolt by chance and have no issues?

#11 kuri

kuri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

I'd like to revive this topic. I bought the e4200 from BestBuy and it set up well. I bought the 5ghz USB adapter for my computer and that was fine. My work iPad connected fine but both my DroidX and my wife's Thundebolt refused to connect. The only way they would connect is with all encryption turned off. WEP/WPA/WPA2 and WPA/WPA2 mixed mode all didn't work. I need a new wireless router because we bought a Transformer Prime tablet and it doens't like my current Netgear N router.

My question is do you guys think there was something wrong with the e4200 which caused my phones not to connect? Would the e2000 or e3000 fare better? I'm a fan of ASUS (except their customer service) so I'd be willing to give that one a shot. Do any of you have one of the e-series Linksys routers connected to either a DroidX or Thunderbolt by chance and have no issues?

Don't have a DroidX or Thunderbolt unfortunately. Are you running wireless N at 20mhz or 40mhz? Some devices don't support the 40mhz mode.

Also are you using the stock E4200 firmware? If so, try 3rd party firmware such as Tomato or DD-WRT.

#12 DanTheGamer11

DanTheGamer11

When life gives you lemons, eat them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3989 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

I haven't even seen a router to buy here....

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3.2Ghz
Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 8GB 1.48V 1600Mhz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical
Motherboard Asrock N68C-GS FX
Graphics XFX HD 7950
Storage 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD, 240GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, Thanks OCC & Kingston, makes a big difference  :)
Optical Disk Drive Sony Optiarc DVD/CD ReWriter
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 650W Bronze
Case Cooler Master CM690