Can anyone recommend a good speaker setup?

Queenz

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good speaker setup in the $100 range. I'm looking for something budget friendly, but still offering good quality and clear crisp sound with lots of bass. Right now I'm using these old Creative I-Trigue 2.1 speakers and they suck. I was wondering if I should do a custom setup for get a regular setup like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=36-121-044&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2#scrollFullInfo

Thanks!!

By the way my sound card is the onboard Creative Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Fidelity HD. It says that it supports high definition audio so I was also wondering are there any speaker systems out there that support HD audio? I also have the fiber optic out audio port on the back of my computer so I was wondering if that would be better to use than the RCA jack port. And is that the port you use when you want to use the HD audio feature?

Edited by Queenz

I would say go for a better 2ch or 2.1ch over a 5.1ch set up. Unless of course you can properly locate the speakers around your seating position (which most people are unable to do) and will actually use the speakers in a surround environment (as in movie or game).

Better quality 2ch > lower quality 5.1ch

By the way my sound card is the onboard Creative Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Fidelity HD. It says that it supports high definition audio so I was also wondering are there any speaker systems out there that support HD audio? I also have the fiber optic out audio port on the back of my computer so I was wondering if that would be better to use than the RCA jack port. And is that the port you use when you want to use the HD audio feature?

both optical / RCA (coaxial) digital out will do, seems there's no difference in sound quality as i tested them both (with my PC via optical S/PDIF hooked to my yamaha A/V receiver and DVD player via coaxial to yamaha A/V receiver). just use what your audio system supports.

I would say go for a better 2ch or 2.1ch over a 5.1ch set up. Unless of course you can properly locate the speakers around your seating position (which most people are unable to do) and will actually use the speakers in a surround environment (as in movie or game).

lots of goobers put a speaker on each corner of their desk and think they are getting surround sound :pfp:

+1

if there's no room for my surround speakers far left/right enough behind while seating at my desk, i will not do it after all.

my sub was at it's sweet spot, but my problem was my fronts; sitting at my desk just around 3 feet away my ears. not a perfect listening position with it cause the sound staging was lost but tweaking the delay settings doesn't work that much.... :down: and so why i preferred my headset still then.

Edited by sword_fish

• 3 weeks later...

I'd suggest the M-Audio AV40's but, I have also heard the new ones are not as good as they use to be..... the pair I have are absolutely great, about 2 years old now. .. I am pretty happy with them and I use to have a 6k $ sound system...

These things have a really detailed balanced sound. I DO NOT use the bass boost switch.. They sound very nice.

Edited by RockyJ

• 3 weeks later...

I grabbed these today and I'm very, very happy with the sound quality. Obviously, preferences will win out on whether the sound is good or not, but I can't complain at all about the clarity or range at the volume levels I use them at (townhome; owned, but I have neighbors, so I keep the din low). Works great for dub-step at medium volume, so I can't image gaming would have any trouble with them.

http://www.geniusnetusa.com/wSite/ct?xItem=51784&ctNode=3607&mp=1

Here's it's big brother:

http://www.geniusnet...tNode=3607&mp=1

Edited by GameRonin

Totally agree!

I own that sets predecessors, the Logitech X-540 and I've had my speakers for over four years now and the only thing that's gone wrong with them is the plastic base on my rear right speaker broke off after being knocked off of my TV.

If you can set them up properly a 5:1 system is great, I've got my rears ceiling mounted, The sub hits pretty hard for how small it is but does rattle a bit at higher volume, usually past 3/4 volume on the sub and 1/2 system volume. If Logitech kept up the quality with the new speakers go for it, great 5:1 system for the price.

I used to have a very nice 6k$+ 5.1 system and I am now happy with my 2 year old M-Audio AV40's 2.0. ($100.00 range if I recall)

I agree I would rather have a better 2.0 (preferably some type of monitor's) than a average 5.1. If you live in an apartment or similar a sub-woofer is not very practical. If you live in a single family home then a kick butt 2.1 would be my preference now.

The application where the 5.1 shine (imo) is movies.. But they have to be good and a great sub is almost a necessity.. movies are so much harder for a sub to handle well..

I guess you can tell I am not a gamer... Yeah I can see a good 5.1 would really be kick butt for a gamer set up as well..

Edited by RockyJ