Community Overclocking Guide

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#25 DrDigitized2

DrDigitized2

• Folding Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Ok Thanks. That helps alot. If I am understanding you guys right then changing the voltage is the last step and may not be required to get the performance I want. Also when and if I do change my voltages I should only change it by the smallest amount and then run a stress test to see if it helps. And while I am doing that I should keep an eye on my heat generation.

sigimageu=32359&c1=FFFFFF&c2=000000&c3=0

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Fatal1ty,   Case: HAF 932 Blue edition, CPU: i5 2500K, PSU SeaSonic X-1250, GPU GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950, RAM: Mushkin 8GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800),
 SSD: Corsair Force Series 3 120GB, HDD: 250GB, Water Cooler: XSPC Rasa 750 RX360, OS:Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit TIM: Tuniq TX-2 Monitor PLANAR 27"

#26 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3213 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

You got it!

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 1X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panel and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC 2.0 Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Mini's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Topping Class T TP40 

5.0 Room Theater System (Speakers) Monitor Audio Silver 2's --- (Center) Monitor Audio RX Center --- (Sub) N/A --- (Receiver) Anthem 510 --- (Power Conditioning) UltraPower PGX-500

#27 Psywar

Psywar

Social Engineering at its finest.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6207 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Ok Thanks. That helps alot. If I am understanding you guys right then changing the voltage is the last step and may not be required to get the performance I want. Also when and if I do change my voltages I should only change it by the smallest amount and then run a stress test to see if it helps. And while I am doing that I should keep an eye on my heat generation.

Posted Image

sigimage.php?un=Psywar&t=12772
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX 8350 (4.0GHz 16MB Cache 8-Core)
XFX R7970 Black Edition Video Card
Mushkin Enhanched 16GB RAM
PC Power and Cooling 610w PSU

#28 sticknstone

sticknstone

Good Times!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

Memory Timings:

This is how fast data moves in and out of your RAM.
The Lower the Memory Timing the less Latency you will have, meaning the quicker your data can travel in and out of the RAM.
When Overclocking your FSB you can sometimes get an Overclock Stable by increasing the Latency on your RAM/Memory Timings Table.

Overclocking memory will involve increases to the bus bandwith or the decreasing of the clock cycles required to operate the ram.
The main memory system performance increase will be observed from the increasing of the bus bandwith. Increasing bus bandwith can be achieved by increasing the bclk or Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier). Increasing the bclk will affect all the system components which use the bclk (cpu speed, memory speed, hyper thread link speed, northbridge link speed....) By increasing the Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier) the effect is only noticed on the memory speed.
Minor memory system performance increases will be observed from lowering timings of the memory. Modern memory modules which use a SPD feature have the timings the module is capable of running at for various memory speeds stored on the module. Setting the memory speed to auto and the memory timings to auto will allow the bios to access the data on the module and set the parameters in bios accordingly. A simple method to setting lower memory timings is to set the Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier) to the desired timings and the memory timings to auto, then set the memory timings to manual and return the Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier) to the previous setting which was being overclocked. For example with 800MHz DDR2 modules when the memory speed is 733MHz, 800MHz or 860MHz to achieve lower timings set the Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier) to 3.33x and the memory timings to auto, next set the memory timings to manual and return the Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier) to the previous setting.

Gigabyte mobo GA-MA790GP-DS4H, AMD Phenom x4 CPU 9950 BE 3.08 GHz

#29 Braegnok

Braegnok

KCCO

• Folding Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Memory Timings:

This is how fast data moves in and out of your RAM.
The Lower the Memory Timing the less Latency you will have, meaning the quicker your data can travel in and out of the RAM.
When Overclocking your FSB you can sometimes get an Overclock Stable by increasing the Latency on your RAM/Memory Timings Table.

Overclocking memory will involve increases to the bus bandwith or the decreasing of the clock cycles required to operate the ram.
The main memory system performance increase will be observed from the increasing of the bus bandwith. Increasing bus bandwith can be achieved by increasing the bclk or Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier). Increasing the bclk will affect all the system components which use the bclk (cpu speed, memory speed, hyper thread link speed, northbridge link speed....) By increasing the Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier) the effect is only noticed on the memory speed.
Minor memory system performance increases will be observed from lowering timings of the memory. Modern memory modules which use a SPD feature have the timings the module is capable of running at for various memory speeds stored on the module. Setting the memory speed to auto and the memory timings to auto will allow the bios to access the data on the module and set the parameters in bios accordingly. A simple method to setting lower memory timings is to set the Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier) to the desired timings and the memory timings to auto, then set the memory timings to manual and return the Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier) to the previous setting which was being overclocked. For example with 800MHz DDR2 modules when the memory speed is 733MHz, 800MHz or 860MHz to achieve lower timings set the Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier) to 3.33x and the memory timings to auto, next set the memory timings to manual and return the Bus Speed Memory Ratio (Memory Multiplier) to the previous setting.

Intel Core i7-4960X

Asus Rampage IV Gene

Asus R9290-DC2OC-4GD5

G.SKILL F3-17000CL9Q-8GBZH

Intel 240GB SSD

Corsair Obsidian 350D

Corsair AX 860i

Corsair Hydro Series H100i

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit

#30 Braegnok

Braegnok

KCCO

• Folding Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hello, I have a question about memory timings. Say on a Q6600 with DDR2 800 memory, the stock CPU frequency is 266 MHz X9 @ 2.4 GHz. And I change CPU frequency to 333 MHz X9 @ 3.0 GHz which is a mild overclock, The DRAM Frequency can be changed to 667 MHz which lowers the timings to 4-4-4-12 2T and runs FSB : DRAM 1:1 @ 333.7 MHz. Or I can set @ 800 MHz timings go to stock 5-5-5-18 2T FSB : DRAM 2 : 3 @ 400 MHz The system seems to overclock higher and remain stable when I keep the FSB : DRAM ratio @ 1 : 1 , but to do so I need to lower DRAM Frequency. Which setting would you suggest. And is there any software that monitors memory temp.
Thank You

Intel Core i7-4960X

Asus Rampage IV Gene

Asus R9290-DC2OC-4GD5

Intel 240GB SSD

Corsair Obsidian 350D

Corsair AX 860i

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit

#31 sticknstone

sticknstone

Good Times!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:43 AM

Which setting would you suggest. And is there any software that monitors memory temp.
Thank You

I would suggest the setting that bench higher and are stable.
I am unaware of a pc ddr module which output its temp data.
Gigabyte mobo GA-MA790GP-DS4H, AMD Phenom x4 CPU 9950 BE 3.08 GHz

#32 Braegnok

Braegnok

KCCO

• Folding Member
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I would suggest the setting that bench higher and are stable.
I am unaware of a pc ddr module which output its temp data.

Thank You, Sticknston; for the reply. And I agree the best setting is the lower frequency with 1:1 ratio. My motherboard has 3 on board temp. probes, I can attach one of them to the memory.

Intel Core i7-4960X

Asus Rampage IV Gene

Asus R9290-DC2OC-4GD5

Intel 240GB SSD

Corsair Obsidian 350D

Corsair AX 860i

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit

#33 reilentless

reilentless

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

Thank You, Sticknston; for the reply. And I agree the best setting is the lower frequency with 1:1 ratio. My motherboard has 3 on board temp. probes, I can attach one of them to the memory.

I'm having problems trying to get 1:1 ratio with the X58 i7-960... I used to have a Core2 E8500 and had it on 1:1, however the method to OC an i7 is different, any suggestions?
Posted Image

#34 edda0199

edda0199

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm having problems trying to get 1:1 ratio with the X58 i7-960... I used to have a Core2 E8500 and had it on 1:1, however the method to OC an i7 is different, any suggestions?

:cheers:

#35 vuki4

vuki4

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

i have a question

can i overclock my i3 2120 3.3 to about 3.5 ghz,with a standard cpu cooler?

help plzz

Edited by vuki4, 15 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#36 EuroFight

EuroFight

I'm not lazy, I'm just energy efficient.

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1562 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

i3s have locked clock multiplier which makes them much more difficult to overclock, as you have to alter FSB speed, which also adjusts other component speeds and timings. Also,  it is not recommended to overclock a processor with the stock cooler as they are generally designed to cope with the TDP (thermal design power) at stock frequency. It is recommended you upgrade your cooler before attempting to overclock.

Edited by EuroFight, 15 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

Processor AMD FX-6100 Hex-core, 3.3GHz > Intel Core 2 Duo, Dual-core, 1.6GHz

Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz >  Crucial 3GB DDR3 1066MHz

Graphics Radeon HD7770 + Radeon HD5570 > Intel 3000 Integrated Graphics

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ > OEM Latitude XT2 Motherboard Socket P

Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA 7200.14 > Dell 64GB SSD SATA 3Gbps

Power Supply Cooler Master Elite ATX 500W > OEM Dell Power Supply 90W

Case Zalman Z11 Plus 4x 120mm fans, 3x 80mm > OEM Dell Latitude XT Case

"Sudo make me a sandwich" - BluePanda