PSU wattage for 2xgtx590

Been browsing power supplies and wattages for my system and not sure what wattage to go with. I've been looking at the PSU calculators out there and get anywhere from 865-1300<--only on one calculator did I get that high. Currently have a corsair tx850 and would 1000watt be enough or should I go higher?

system specs

fatal1ty 990x mobo

amd 1100t oc'd 4.0ghx

2 sticks vengence 1600 ram

H70 cooler with TT fans

2 cathodes

80mm led fan

120mm fan

1 hdd

cd/dvd drive

gtx590 (one more on the way)

corsair tx580

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that you should opt for a 1200w PSU. Just to be on the safe side. I can see that you have your CPU OC'ed, and you'll probably end up with at least a mild OC on the cards, right? If so, then it'd be better to go for the 1200w.

I'm not 100% sure, but it's my best bet. Some of the others in here knows a lot more about the different cards wattage needs etc., so you should also wait for them to see what they've got to say.

Always go higher then what your system needs. if it asks for 500w go 600w. If it says 1000w go 1200w. Because you never know down the road you might change something.

Also you never what to run your PSU 100% all the time. it will burn out faster.

Corsair AX1200 - good enough for extreme LN2 overclockers, good enough for you ! (I should be a sales rep :P)

But I wouldn't run on anything less than 1000watt for those cards but 1200watt is the best and safest since those cathodes also suck power along with your other components

Note : That 1100t may not give you the performance you want from dual 590's . My 5870 tri-fire suffered a performance loss on a 1090t . If you want to get a Bulldozer later on to use on that 990 board then 1200watt minimum !!

Corsair AX1200 - good enough for extreme LN2 overclockers, good enough for you ! (I should be a sales rep :P)

+1 You will not have to upgrade power supplies for a very long time if you get this one. Plus, with a 7 year warranty, you shouldn't have to worry about failures especially with a "professional series" PSU.

It's pricey but you will not regret it. :)