• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:39 AM

Hey guys.

Below is my rig:

i5 2500k
Asus p8z68-v
4 GB Kingston Value Ram DDR3 1333Mhz x2
4 GB Kingston Server Value Ram ECC DDR3 1333Mhz x2 (Salvaged from my server)
Leadtek Winfast Nvidia GTX580
Coolermaster Silencio 550 Casing
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Cooler
Artic F12 PWM fan (4 units)

Pictures of my Rig:

The Full view of the fans 2x Artic F12 PWM (Push / Pull Config @ Hypermaster 212+):

Posted Image

Front Fan (Push / Blow):

Posted Image

Rear Fan (Pull / Suck):

Posted Image

*The thermal compound used on the processor is Arctic mx-4*

The I5 2500K is clocked at 4.5GHz

Below are the specs:

1. AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
2. Turbo Ratio: By Per Core....
3. 1-Core Ratio Limit: 45
2-Core Ratio Limit: 45
3-Core Ratio Limit: 45
4-Core Ratio Limit: 45
4. Internal PLL overvoltage: Auto
5. Load-Line CalibrationL: Auto
6. VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350
7. Phase Control: Extreme
8. Duty control: Extreme
9. CPU Voltage: 1.195V
Offset Mode:
Offset Mode Sign: +
CPU Offset Voltage: 0.030

Posted Image

Real Temp temperature after 30 minutes of Prime95:

Posted Image

**Ambient Temperature in my room : 30°C**

Basically, after fitting in the heatsink (Hyper212 +), I screwed it as tight as I possibly could. However, given some force, i could still turn the heatsink around. Not much but I am afraid that it might cause the temperature to rise. For some of you guys who are using the hyper212+ cooler, is this the same with your setup or is your cooler fixed to its position that you cannot move it even by applying any pressure/force? Are my temperatures normal?

Edited by avngl, 12 October 2011 - 04:50 AM.

#2 Stonerboy779

Stonerboy779

Puts on Q701s d-_-b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5259 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:46 AM

How much tim did you apply?

Also be careful how much pressure you use, make sure you have the backplate installed.

On and good god why is it 30C? :lol

Otherwise looking pretty good you should try some cable management tho :P haha :happy:

Posted Image

Man these spammers are geniuses...put (NO SPAM) in the thread title to hide the spam.  It's brilliant.  Hopefully this doesn't catch on...what if rapists wear signs that say (NOT A RAPIST)?  They will be raping everybody! D:

Donate to OCC - You could have won an SSD or GPU

#3 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3295 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:54 AM

I don't see anything wrong. But you should lower your Ambient Temperature. That may be an issue.

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 3X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panels and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Silver's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Emotiva MiniX-a-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums and Paradigm H15NC --- (Headphone AMP) --- Schitt Magni

#4 avngl

avngl

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:54 AM

How much tim did you apply?

Also be careful how much pressure you use, make sure you have the backplate installed.

On and good god why is it 30C? :lol

Otherwise looking pretty good you should try some cable management tho :P haha :happy:

The amount of TIM that I applied is probably equivalent to the size of a pea, maybe slightly larger.

Backplate is installed :)

Well, I am living in Malaysia, a tropical country so its quite warm here. This temperature is recorded at around 8PM. It gets warmer in the morning / afternoon, up to 32 - 33°C.

I'll work on my cable managing skills. :D

Tried it before, it seemed okay, then I had to replace a few components as i was pre-ordering parts and it became haywire. Will try soon if everything is confirmed to be okay so that i don't have to mess with the components again.

#5 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6484 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:17 AM

It seems about right. Those are some great voltages for that overclock.

#6 Hyper

Hyper

Of course it will fit, I have power tools.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

The amount of TIM that I applied is probably equivalent to the size of a pea, maybe slightly larger.

Backplate is installed :)

Well, I am living in Malaysia, a tropical country so its quite warm here. This temperature is recorded at around 8PM. It gets warmer in the morning / afternoon, up to 32 - 33°C.

I'll work on my cable managing skills. :D

Tried it before, it seemed okay, then I had to replace a few components as i was pre-ordering parts and it became haywire. Will try soon if everything is confirmed to be okay so that i don't have to mess with the components again.

Thats quite a bit of TIM.. I usually use about the size of a grain of rice (or less depending on the size of your rice :) )
Posted Image

#7 avngl

avngl

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:19 AM

It seems about right. Those are some great voltages for that overclock.

Thank you. Its quite a relief to read your post. :)

I guess my proc is from the "good batch" ?

Thats quite a bit of TIM.. I usually use about the size of a grain of rice (or less depending on the size of your rice :) )

I see. I did read that too much of TIM could cause an increase in temps as well. Should i reapply the TIM?

#8 Kwok

Kwok

Kid Shelleen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:38 AM

take some masking tape and place it about 1/8th of an inch in, around the edges of the top your chip. Then apply a rice sized squirt of your Arctic grease in the middle. Take a credit card and spread the Arctic to the edges of the tape. You should end up with a perfect thickness application. Now just remove the tape pieces and "voila" you have a very pro looking and performing application of TIM. Set your cooler carefully, trying not to smear the application too much. You really cant do much better than this.

Silverstone Raven 2 case---Corsair Silent Pro 1200ex---Gigabyte [email protected]

Mushkin Redline2x4gig@1833 8-9-8-24---Noctua NH-D14---Evga GTX 680--- LG Blu-Ray Drive

Fatality Pro X-Fi----Logitech Z2300 2.1 200w sys---Crucial M4 128g SSD-- 1tb Samsung sata 3 hdd

Planar 27" HDMI-Monitor 1920x1080

#9 ccokeman

ccokeman

Frank <3 Reesa

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11361 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:15 AM

Looks about right for the hardware you have.
Processor Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.6
Memory Mushkin 998995 Blackline 12GB 9-9-9-24
Motherboard MSI X58 Big Bang
Graphics ASUS GTX 580
Power Corsair AX 1200,
Monitor Gateway UXD3000, LG W3000H, ASUS VG236 x 3
Water Cooling By DangerDen & Swiftech
Follow OCC on Posted Image

#10 avngl

avngl

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

Followed Kwok's advice.

Looks like i applied a wee bit too much of TIM the last time. The whole core was covered with TIM and some were out of it!

Cleaned the whole thing and applied as recommended (size of a grain of rice) and the temperature seems to be lower (by 2 - 4 Degree Celsius).

This is of course in the middle of the night, where the ambient temperature is about 26 - 28 Degree Celsius.

Will test tomorrow to check its consistency.

#11 potatochobit

potatochobit

Queen of Nightmares

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

are you using two 4-pin power adapters on the GTX580?
I would not be comfortable with that but it's not necessarily bad
you can try and hide some cables in an empty DVD drive bay

#12 My_Inner_Fred

My_Inner_Fred

Being Lazy

• Folding Member
  • 1318 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

Haha you have the same ambient temp as my room. Thats why my OC's are always so hot.....

Main Rig

Mobo: ASUS P67 Sabertooth | GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 768MB | GPU2: EVGA Nvidia 520 GT 1GB | PSU: Raidmax 850W Gold Cert. | CPU: Intel I7-2600k 3.4GHz OCed to 4.6Ghz | RAM: (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X series 8GB 1600Mhz

RAM2: (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws X series 8GB 1866Mhz(running at 1600Mhz) | HS: Corsair H70 Water Cooling | HDDs: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB/WD Caviar Black 1TB/WD Caviar Green 1TB | CD/DVD: ASUS DVD/CD Drive

WolfandSpice_1341388341.jpgMy_Inner_Fred.jpg