Aios HD Media Centre PC From Pivos Reviewed

Nemo

@neozgeo

As I stated, I couldn't get a mouse to function anywhere where the functionality supposedly existed. Perhaps an update is needed to get it working.

@Waco

In my experience it can handle some pretty demanding stuff. It easily handled a few HQ 1080p MP4 renders of HD cam footage. Furthermore, it also handled the raw mts files that the camcorder created with finesse.

I was able to get a small wireless bluetooth keyboard/trackpad to work. Had to reboot the box after I plugged in the USB transmitter.

If anyone is interested. I dismantled mine today to see if there were any sockets to add ram, etc. I've attached a pdf with the notes and pictures.

Here's the PDF.

Dismantling the PIVOS AIOS Media Player.pdf

The mouse does have limited funtionality. But so does most of the software. I'll be looking for any firmware upgrades. It's almost beta software that's on it.

If you push the option button in the browser you can open a text entry window to enter a URL.

tcool

I remember what your questions were, so I'll answer them. I don't always keep up with questions.

Without a hard drive the unit is near silent. There's not much inside, and certainly nothing that produces much heat as evidenced by the lack of heatsinks.

With a hard drive, the unit is as loud as the drive. Slower and newer drives will be quieter, and obviously, an SSD will add no noise. A Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, which I used, is very quiet, with only head movement and a mild vibration letting me know that something's going on inside. Keep in mind, too, that the addition of a storage drive will increase the internal temperature, and I'm unaware if the fan ever ramps up or can handle very high heat. Even so, the unit itself is rather a large heat sink, so there shouldn't be too many issues if there are.