8 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo

Will Fold 4 Food

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7228 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Check out our latest review on the Pivos Aios HD Media Centre - http://www.overclock...s_media_centre/

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz / ASUS P5Q Deluxe / Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB PC2-9600 DDR2-1200MHz / 2x Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB RAID 1 / Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB
Corsair TX750W / Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 / SilverStone TJ05 / Scythe Zipang 140mm CPU Cooler / ASUS VH202T-P 20" widescreen monitor (x2) / XP Pro SP 3
"however, i cannot claim to be such a fish as i am not a fish at all..." - hardnrg,Jul 4 2005, 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Follow OCC on Posted Image
Subscribe to the OCC Newsletter

Lucky Mudder Race 2013

#2 Andrewr05

Andrewr05

I'll be whatever I wanna do!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11611 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

Upon bootup, the Aios displays what is either a sort of POST code or something very insulting.

Link to picture in question.
:lol:

Good review NF, seems like a pretty decent unit for $100.

ona5.png

If you see the cops - LEAVE.

If the cops are coming - Don't be there.
If you show up and the cops are already there - DISAPPEAR.
Anyplace the cops are and you aren't, is a good day

:yes: 

Rig specs:

Spoiler

#3 neozgeo

neozgeo

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

Check out our latest review on the Pivos Aios HD Media Centre - http://www.overclock...s_media_centre/

Might want to check again.. It does support mouse.

Good write up though! :)

#4 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15405 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Can this thing play 1080p MPEG4 without stuttering?

sig.png

GTX 770 replaced with watercooled GTX780...but too lazy to change the sig.

#5 nVidia_Freak

nVidia_Freak

Bork, bork, bork

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

@neozgeo
As I stated, I couldn't get a mouse to function anywhere where the functionality supposedly existed. Perhaps an update is needed to get it working.

@Waco
In my experience it can handle some pretty demanding stuff. It easily handled a few HQ 1080p MP4 renders of HD cam footage. Furthermore, it also handled the raw mts files that the camcorder created with finesse.

**First OCC UberLlama**
Posted Image
** Noctua Owners Club: Member #4 NH-C12P SE14 // NF-P14 FLX // NF-P12-1300 **

#6 pureluck

pureluck

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

I was able to get a small wireless bluetooth keyboard/trackpad to work. Had to reboot the box after I plugged in the USB transmitter.

If anyone is interested. I dismantled mine today to see if there were any sockets to add ram, etc. I've attached a pdf with the notes and pictures.

Here's the PDF.
Attached File  Dismantling the PIVOS AIOS Media Player.pdf   1.81MB   808 downloads

#7 pureluck

pureluck

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

I was able to get a small wireless bluetooth keyboard/trackpad to work. Had to reboot the box after I plugged in the USB transmitter.

If anyone is interested. I dismantled mine today to see if there were any sockets to add ram, etc. I've attached a pdf with the notes and pictures.

Here's the PDF.
Attached File  Dismantling the PIVOS AIOS Media Player.pdf   1.81MB   808 downloads

The mouse does have limited funtionality. But so does most of the software. I'll be looking for any firmware upgrades. It's almost beta software that's on it.
If you push the option button in the browser you can open a text entry window to enter a URL.

#8 tcool93

tcool93

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

nevermind. I don't know why people write reviews then not respond to questions.

Edited by tcool93, 14 October 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#9 nVidia_Freak

nVidia_Freak

Bork, bork, bork

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

tcool

I remember what your questions were, so I'll answer them. I don't always keep up with questions.

Without a hard drive the unit is near silent. There's not much inside, and certainly nothing that produces much heat as evidenced by the lack of heatsinks.

With a hard drive, the unit is as loud as the drive. Slower and newer drives will be quieter, and obviously, an SSD will add no noise. A Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, which I used, is very quiet, with only head movement and a mild vibration letting me know that something's going on inside. Keep in mind, too, that the addition of a storage drive will increase the internal temperature, and I'm unaware if the fan ever ramps up or can handle very high heat. Even so, the unit itself is rather a large heat sink, so there shouldn't be too many issues if there are.

**First OCC UberLlama**
Posted Image
** Noctua Owners Club: Member #4 NH-C12P SE14 // NF-P14 FLX // NF-P12-1300 **