9 replies to this topic

#1 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6630 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

I found $221 of folded cash on my office hallway today. Two $100 bills, a $20 bill, and a $1 bill. Without thinking, I asked people if it were their's, and one person said it could be his since he misplaced some money. I didn't think twice, but since there was another co-worker, I told him to bear witness that I gave it to him.

An hour or two later, the person that actually lost the money came looking for it, and he got his money back. :pfp:

On hindsight, I should have written an e-mail to everyone and if they came to me with the correct amount that was missing, I'd give it to them. Oh well, I'm a dumbass.

#2 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3351 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

Well at least he got his money back. But yeah, you should have did the email thing.

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 3X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panels and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Silver's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Emotiva MiniX-a-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums and Paradigm H15NC --- (Headphone AMP) --- Schitt Magni

#3 Kamikaze_Badger

Kamikaze_Badger

(⌐■_■)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hindsight is 20/20. Yeah, the email thing would have been better, but you still made an excellent decision by having another employee bear witness to you giving the money to another person claiming to be the owner of it. Yeah, the witness could have lied through his teeth for a cut of the money, but he didn't. In the end, the original owner got the money back. I know far too many who would have pocketed the money and pretended they never saw it. You're not perfect, but you made a good decision that resulted in a good deed being done. There's not much more a person could ask for.
Is my Razer Diamondback retro yet?
s

Graciously recommended from KB, is some muffricken Christian death metal. It is a must hear, it pushes envelopes, explores new ground. Words can't describe just now incredibly awesome this is. Cue the alter smashing, bench flipping, and bible reading while thrashing away at guitars and drums.

I witnessed regional Special Olympics and Challenge Day; there's far more intellect there than there is in internet arguments.

#4 bishop245

bishop245

So broke I can't even pay attention.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9910 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

just remember no good deed goes unpunished now days

#5 Onion

Onion

OCC Lawyer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4200 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

I know that people always claim to have lost money but actually lie about it most of the time, so whatever money I find laying around I give to charity.

Edited by l33t p1mp, 03 October 2011 - 07:47 PM.

Rig 1: Q9450 @ 4.0 â–º P45-UD3R â–º GTX 275 â–º 2 x 2 G Series â–º 2x Raptor 150 â–º Truepower Quattro 1kw â–º WC'd â–º 3d Aurora 570
Rig 2: Q6700 @ 4.0 â–º 780i â–º 8800 GTS 512 â–º 4 x 1 Tracers â–º 2 x 640GB AAKS â–º Corsair 650TX â–º Temp. Stock Cooling â–º Antec 900
Rig 3: E2200 â–º P35-DS3L â–º 2900 ICEQ â–º 2 x 1GB Ballistix â–º WD 320 â–º Antec Earthwatts 380 â–º Stock Cooling â–º Ultra Armor
Rig 4: E2160 â–º P35-DS3L â–º 8400 GT â–º 2 x 1GB ballistix â–º WD 320 â–º Antec Earthwatts 430 â–º Stock Cooling â–º Custom Case
OCC - Home of the Potato Overclock

#6 cirro

cirro

mmmm...... data.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:19 AM

the guy prob just heard about you finding the money from your friend, and came to colleeectt lol

©hallenge(o)f®everse(e)ngineering

#7 Deathmineral

Deathmineral

No soup for you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3811 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:05 AM

Hindsight is 20/20. Yeah, the email thing would have been better, but you still made an excellent decision by having another employee bear witness to you giving the money to another person claiming to be the owner of it. Yeah, the witness could have lied through his teeth for a cut of the money, but he didn't. In the end, the original owner got the money back. I know far too many who would have pocketed the money and pretended they never saw it. You're not perfect, but you made a good decision that resulted in a good deed being done. There's not much more a person could ask for.

:withstupid:

All you can do is try to do right thing, you can't read minds so if the wrong person claims it, there isn't much you can do about it. The email thing sounds nice in theory but not everyone keeps track of much money they have on them. If I had lost that money and came to claim, I couldn't have told you how I lost because I just don't consider how much I have on me, I mean even if you're talking estimates and rounded numbers I probably wouldn't know. However I suppose it would work fine in this case because there are only four bills there, I reckon a person could easily remember if it was only four bills.

Posted Image

#8 Wolfrider

Wolfrider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

its nice to hear that there are still people who know what is right;
most of the guys I know would keep the money; good job :thumbsup:

"If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you" -  Nietzsche

#9 wevsspot

wevsspot

The Pain of Being a Razorback Fan.....

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15982 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

Cap - I've got a story along those lines. I was returning home from a trip overseas. When I landed at our regional airport the first thing I did was hit the bathroom. In the men's stall there was a fanny pack looking thing hanging on the coat hook. I unzipped it and found over $600 in cash, a credit card, driver's license and passport. I waited outside the men's restroom for almost a half hour thinking that the guy might come back. I mean I knew his name, what he looked like etc. so it wouldn't have been hard to identify him. The owner never did come back though. I thought I only had three choices;

contact the sheriff's department
leave the bag where i found it
give the bag to airport security

Of the three I chose to give the bag to airport security along with one of my business cards.

I never did hear back from the owner of that bag, so don't know to this day whether the airport security guard kept it, turned it over to someone else or if the guy ever came back to claim his possessions.
10804750996_f1dd23d20e_o.jpg

#10 cirro

cirro

mmmm...... data.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1580 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

giving it to airport security is like giving it to the homeless man out front saying you'll be right back.

airport security = can't get hired at the mall

and if you have ever flown in the last 10 years, you can see the reliance on machines versus intelligent people and how its shifted to basically a monkey with scanning equiptment

anymore if someone were to having a bomb, the amount of people in the lines waiting to get through security checkpoints
is probably getting more than even on a plane, eventually we will have checkpoint terrorism lol

©hallenge(o)f®everse(e)ngineering