Nvidia Drivers & BSOD

WhenKittensATK

Series of events:

1) Green lines on screen during POST and Windows

2) Fixed graphical errors from POST, still in Windows

3) Windows now BSOD with any version of Nvidia Drivers installed (0x116 error code :: Display driver failed and failed to recover from)

4) Uninstalled Nvidia Drivers and boot into Windows (Green lines turned into dark pink, only show inside of Windows Welcome Screen and Windows, not during POST)

5) Any attempts to boot Windows with Nvidia Drivers causes BSOD

Fixes attempted:

1) Re-seated GPU/RAM/Power Cables

2) Tried older version of Nvidia Drivers

3) Memory Test came out clean

4) Different video cables and ports

I'll have to test out a different video card and power cables tomorrow. I'll try to remount the waterblock on the GPU, maybe VRAM is overheating.

I was looking online and some people said underclocking the memory on GPU fixed it (currently/previously on stock settings).

Edited by Krazyxazn

New tests:

1) Check power supply voltages on idle and load (all seems good)

2) Reseated waterblock (no effect)

3) Reinstalled stock cooler (no effect)

4) Spare 9600 GT plugged in using the same 6 pin power (works like normal)

Next To Do:

1) Plug GTX 580 into 2nd PCIe slot and see if it displays same errors.

I'll see if I can get another PC to test it on. There is no onboard graphics and video card wasn't overclocked.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Hmm any chance you guys think it might be the PSU? Really hard to pinpoint the issue on this one. I may delay my PC upgrade to next year and get a new PSU soon. Not really sure.

Was recommended this PSU as a replacement: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

Edited by Krazyxazn

• 4 weeks later...

i rather set aside the PSU upgrade first until you're done with your "Next To Do" tests, i wonder how it came out....

anyways,with those tests you've done; that the 9600gt runs normal "might" tell that your GTX580 has gone bad.

and those green & pink lines(artifacts) looks suspicious, almost the same just how before my 9800GT died recently.

tbh, i made such an aggressive move to get my new GPU instead(GTX560-Ti) and isolated the PSU and everything cause i jumped my conclusion that my 9800GT... but i did not failed after all.

i hope you can still RMA your card when bad things happen just in case.

I haven't done much to test it lately. It's most likely just the video card going bad. I'll run it once I get my new CPU/Mobo/Ram to see if it was the motherboard that caused the issue. I'll try flashing the video card to a lower memory clock and see if that makes the lines disappear as well.