ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II Edition Review

Meh thought that whale'd overclock better, uses alot of power too :mellow:

:mfp:

I remember when a card going 200MHz over stock was something to be happy about. Apparently IVI needs something to burst into flames from an OC before he likes it. :rolleyes:

I think its a sweet card, personally. I would be more than happy having this rocking my games.

It should OC better than other non-standard dual-slot cooler 570's, that's for sure. 3 slots is a big price to pay. If I ever even considered a directCU II card it would be a 580 with a 1680x1050 monitor so I would never feel the need to go SLI lol.

Edited by hierovision

Unless you're in a media PC case or want to do SLI (and don't have an xATX board), whether it takes up three or two slots is irrelevant, as long as it performs well, which it does.

It should OC better than other non-standard dual-slot cooler 570's, that's for sure. 3 slots is a big price to pay. If I ever even considered a directCU II card it would be a 580 with a 1680x1050 monitor so I would never feel the need to go SLI lol.

:withstupid:

Oversized cooler and 8+6pin instead of 6+6pin is why this card I'm not impressed at it's overclocking.

The regular one even cooled better maxed out (though assuredly louder)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Meh thought that whale'd overclock better, uses alot of power too :mellow:

When you buy this card that's not a concern! :cheers:

:withstupid:

Oversized cooler and 8+6pin instead of 6+6pin is why this card I'm not impressed at it's overclocking.

The regular one even cooled better maxed out (though assuredly louder)

Saying that is like saying all CPUs will OC the same. You can give it all the best parts but it will only do what it is going to do.

Most of the massive results and clock speeds shown on these cards are on LN2 with full volt mods. THe VRM circuits are badass and can handle the load but the chip is going to be the limitation on air.

When you buy this card that's not a concern! :cheers:

Just saying, but this is partially forgiven because it's OC'd a little higher than the vanilla Asus 570.

Saying that is like saying all CPUs will OC the same. You can give it all the best parts but it will only do what it is going to do.

Most of the massive results and clock speeds shown on these cards are on LN2 with full volt mods. THe VRM circuits are badass and can handle the load but the chip is going to be the limitation on air.

I'm just saying this doesn't look worth it over the regular one, I expected more out of it. :happy:

Just saying, but this is partially forgiven because it's OC'd a little higher than the vanilla Asus 570.

I'm just saying this doesn't look worth it over the regular one, I expected more out of it. :happy:

You can expect more but who knows what it would do with voltmods and some sub zero cooling.

I buy video cards to drive my games. When I buy a motherboard, I try to max out the life of the platform. I bought one GTX 260 in 2008 for $270 and another earlier this year for $100.

Let's pretend I only have two slots and there are two expansion slots between them. PCIe x16, PCIe x1, PCIex1, PCIe x16, PCIex1, and PCI. Something like that. I buy one of these now for $300ish. Once games get beyond the capabilities of one of these cards, and I want to run SLI, I'm gimp'd for two reasons: 1) bottom card suffocates the top card, and 2) forget using any of the expansion slots for an extra NIC, RAID, sound card, or whatever. Just for the 1st reason I should get a regular 570. My flexibility to adapt my systems functionality with expansion ports is totally gone with two of these cards.

While this card may be fine for the majority of users, so is any 570. The flexibility sacrificed by the 3 slot cooler isn't worth the benefits at all.