6 replies to this topic

#1 bp9801

bp9801

Please press any key to continue

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7932 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:24 AM

OCC takes a look at a fan controller from NZXT. See how it stacks up as we review the NZXT Sentry Mesh Fan Controller - http://www.overclock...xt_sentry_mesh/

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3.6GHz - ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO - EVGA GTX 770 2GB
G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 - OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD - Seagate 500GB + 750GB - WD 1TB - Cooler Master SPH 1050W
ASUS Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition + Sennheiser HD-280 Pro + HD-555 - Thermolab BARAM 2010 - Cooler Master HAF XM

Follow OCC on facebook.png
eUYPk97.png

#2 DanTheGamer11

DanTheGamer11

When life gives you lemons, eat them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3936 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:49 AM

Lovely... sleek and matches my CM690 :) solution for not having enough fan channels = buy another :)
When I see these in europe I will buy one as I have three Zalman Fan Mates and they are messy... great review ;)

Edited by Dan The Gamer, 15 June 2011 - 02:49 AM.

Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @3.2Ghz
Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 8GB 1.48V 1600Mhz DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical
Motherboard Asrock N68C-GS FX
Graphics XFX HD 7950
Storage 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD, 240GB Kingston Hyper X SSD, Thanks OCC & Kingston, makes a big difference  :)
Optical Disk Drive Sony Optiarc DVD/CD ReWriter
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 650W Bronze
Case Cooler Master CM690

#3 yuridude

yuridude

• Folding Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:17 AM

Plan on getting 2 or 3 of these when I can.

Thanks for great review!

:cheers:

MY WTS/WTB Thread

T5 Donator

yuridude.jpg

#4 smduff

smduff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

I just read the review and wanted to mention something I thought was a little off, no offense just an observation.

You said the controller can only run 5 fans but it can run 15, let me explain-

Watts = Amps x Volts

I'll use a fan as an example I have here, Scythe Ultra Kaze Model DFS123812H-3000 (120mmX38 3000rpm 161cfm~)

We know they run off of a 12v rail and this particular fan uses 0.60A so 12v x 0.60A= 7.2W of power per fan @ full power so 7.2W X 3=21.6w per channel on the safe side for argument sake, theoretically you could run 4 fans of this size per channel for a total of 28.8W per channel.

So on the safe side we can say 15 fans in total could be run or theoretically 20, obviously you would run them in series of groups and control different zones in your chassis.

At any rate the reason I wanted to start the thread is because I'm interested in this controller for my sons build, but wanted to know if there was any voltage leaking from any of the channels on the controller when in the lowest position.

Edited by smduff, 15 June 2011 - 10:18 AM.

AMD Phenom II 1055T X 6 @4GHz
ASUS Crosshair V Formula
8 Gigs VisionTek CL9 1600MHz
AMD 6970 2Gig
1000W Sentey Golden Steel Power
30 Gig Kingston SSD NOW V Series (OS)
500 Gig Seagates X2 in Raid (Storage)
DD Black Series Tower 21
Custom WACO loop EK Supreme HF/ 2XD5 Pump / EK-Dual Pump Top / EK CoolStream 360 Rad / EK CoolStream 480 Rad

HeatWare

#5 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32299 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

I guess technically its possible.

I try and avoid that, I remember years ago a couple of us tried doing that and almost burned the house down with the same thinking you are using. :lol:

But as you said, it looks like it might be ok, you would just have to be careful and watch for any sort of melting etc etc. I think I would be more worried at full power then at idle.

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#6 nVidia_Freak

nVidia_Freak

Bork, bork, bork

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:41 PM

smduff

Although it is possible to wire multiple fans in series to one controller so long as the amperage and voltage ratings of the fans allow. It's just like a power supply, where multiple devices can have power supplied to them from a single rail. That's also why extension cables work.

Having said that, fan controllers have a function, and that is to control a number of fans. Because it's possible to quiet or increase the CFM of fans by a bit of stripping and splicing, controllers are generally, though hardly only, for people who don't want to do that or need something that looks a little nicer and offers a little more direct control. As such, fan controllers are generally sold based on the number of channels they feature, and the case of the Sentry Mesh, that's five, and so the Sentry Mesh 'only supports' five fans, that is, without making/purchasing the needed cable splitters, or otherwise modifying the device and only using what is provided for plug-n-play use.

Technically fan controllers could simply have one 150 Watt channel and just have a whole bunch of splits, like a power supply, but in the case of fan controllers that offers considerably less flexibility with regards to controlling individual fans.

**First OCC UberLlama**
Posted Image
** Noctua Owners Club: Member #4 NH-C12P SE14 // NF-P14 FLX // NF-P12-1300 **

#7 potatochobit

potatochobit

Queen of Nightmares

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

i would love a neat little fan controller

but I would also want it to work with any 4 PIN fan as well