Photo
- - - - -

Have you had an OCZ SSD fail or have to be RMA'd?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you had an OCZ SSD fail or have to be RMA'd? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you have to RMA an OCZ Vertex2 or Agility2?

1. Yes, a 60GB OCZ (5 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Yes, a 120GB OCZ (7 votes [14.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.00%

3. Yes, 160GB OCZ or Higher (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Yes, a Different brand, up to 128GB (3 votes [6.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

5. Yes, a Different brand over 128GB (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Voted No, all my SSD drives work great! (anybrand) (32 votes [64.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.00%

7. I did not get my rebate from buying an SSD! (anybrand) (3 votes [6.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 potatochobit

potatochobit

Queen of Nightmares

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

There seems to be alot of confusion and accusations going around
Since we are a tech site there is no reason we should not make the numbers official
So let's Poll and see how our community has been affected
Please vote if you had a total failure or had to RMA an SSD product

Multiple choices allowed!
Do NOT vote if you had a firmware issue or a brick that has since been resolved
Do NOT vote if you returned a product because you were not happy with it

I will tell you from what I have seen 160GB drives and larger have a much higher reported failure rate
but.... those drives are also in the 300-400$ range, so people who are upset complain alot more, so take it with a grain of salt
I would be mad too if I paid 500$ for something that did not work

#2 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15211 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:26 PM

There seems to be alot of confusion and accusations going around

Only from trolls like yourself.

Return rates are published from all of the major companies. Early Indilinx drives as well as early Sandforce drives had firmware bugs that took a while to work out. Current models with updated firmware are rarely affected (return rates < 2% across all major manufacturers).

Posted Image

Booyah.

#3 potatochobit

potatochobit

Queen of Nightmares

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

nope, you are mistaken

perhaps you did not know but OCZ released firmware version 1.33 this week
and why did they released this?
do you even know what problems version 1.32 cleared up from the previous release?

You assume everyone lives in your little world typing on a 42" TV screen but that is not true
if you look around the forums like on the Macintosh community you will see SSDs are not so plug and play as you would like to believe
SSD firmware is updated far more frequently than you seem to be advocating and it is still a work in progress, even for the year old drives
if you want to troll, I am cool with that but dont spout me some random BS from Intel, I am fully aware of their 'reported' failure rates and I find it as credible as their IGP 'benchmarks'

#4 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15211 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

nope, you are mistaken

This coming from someone who trolls seemingly every single forum he joins? Right.

Take your trolling somewhere else. TechReport doesn't want it and OCC doesn't either. :cheers:

If you're going to accuse Intel of subterfuge you could at least offer a minimal amount of proof that they've lied about even a single point of IGP performance in the past to establish some sort of distrust.

Edited by Waco, 21 April 2011 - 07:39 PM.

Posted Image

Booyah.

#5 potatochobit

potatochobit

Queen of Nightmares

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1379 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:51 PM

:cry: going to troll my topic into the ground are you?
very well, since you seem to love tech report so much why don't you try reading some of their articles
now, i am not about to argue with you for something that has been occurring for 10 years and from a news post over 2 years ago

Edited by potatochobit, 21 April 2011 - 07:51 PM.

#6 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15211 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

very well, since you seem to love tech report so much why don't you try reading some of their articles

Read that before. I see no problems with those optimizations especially since they are enabled by default for nearly everything in the newer drivers. Better performance with zero difference in image quality is not something I'd call cheating. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Booyah.

#7 Forb

Forb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

I don't own an SSD so I haven't experienced any failures...

However, browsing the OCZ forums, there seems to be quite a lot of problems with SSDs at the moment.... http://www.ocztechno...ives&order=desc

#8 hornybluecow

hornybluecow

I Am A Cow...

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5372 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

where is the section for OCZ makes crap now and is going the route of rosewill? really OCZ hasn't been doing so well for awhile now and when i heard they pulled the plug on Ram it was for the better.

no clue what this was about.

Edited by hornybluecow, 17 April 2012 - 06:25 AM.

hbbanner.jpg

Filckr Photostream / Workstation Build Guide / How to Overclock an Intel 4770K Guide

Main Rig: i7-3930K @ 4.4ghz, Asus P9X79 WS, GTX Titan, Intel 335 240 GB, Vertex 4 120 GB, Raid-1 2x 3 TB, 64 GB (8x8gb) G-skill, Thermaltake Core V71, SeaSonic Plat 1000watt.

Review Test Rig: : i7-4770k @ 4.2ghz, MSI-GD65 Gaming, Geforce GTX 770 , Corsair Force GT 240 GB, Patriot 16 GB 2400 (2x8gb), (Case always changing) Thermaltake 750w.

#9 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • 20267 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

where is the section for OCZ makes crap now and is going the route of rosewill? really OCZ hasn't been doing so well for awhile now and when i heard they pulled the plug on Ram it was for the better.

I never had problems with their ram with this nor my last build, had a corsair stick die on me two builds earlier though.

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#10 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3274 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

I don't own an SSD so I haven't experienced any failures...

However, browsing the OCZ forums, there seems to be quite a lot of problems with SSDs at the moment.... http://www.ocztechno...ives&order=desc

I have to agree with you. OCZ do have a lot of failures. Also check out Newegg reviews they say the same thing as well.

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 3X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panels and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Mini's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Emotiva MiniX-a-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums and Paradigm H15NC --- (Headphone AMP) --- Schitt Magni

#11 ComputerEd

ComputerEd

Voice of Computing Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

I have and use three different OZC drives and have not had any of them have an issue. However I will agree with the OP in that I have heard a lot of complaining about drive failures. I think it would be interesting to get a site wide poll of users and failures. As for the support forums being the place to find this out, forget it. The support forum posts might represent the majority of issues but you have to understand for every poster there are 100 users that do not post to the forums.

Get your GEEK on ever week with Computer Ed Radio

http://computeredradio.com  http://facebook.com/computered

#12 Black64

Black64

Black It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3274 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

Waco I wouldn't believe the return/failure rates from the companies. They are probably highly inaccurate or just plain made up. Remember when Microsoft claimed that the Xbox 360 failure rate(Rrod) was less then 5 percent? It was really was around 40-60 percent.

Current System

[CPU]Intel Xeon W3670 (i7-970) @3.20Ghz---[CPU Cooling]Thermalright Silver Arrow---[MOBO]ASUS Rampage Gene III---[RAM]G-Skill Rip Jaws (24GB)(6x4GB)---[GPU]ASUS GTX 780 OC---[PSU]KingWin Lazar LZ-1000---[CASE]Bitfenix Colossus Venom Edition---[HDDs]WD Dives(6.5TB total storage) and Samsung 250GB SSD(boot)---[Monitors] 3X NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi ISP Panels and 1X Seiki 39" 4K monitor

PC Audio System (Speakers) Triad InRoom Mini's --- (DAC) Schiit Modi --- (AMP) Emotiva MiniX-a-100 --- (Headphones) Sennheiser Momentums and Paradigm H15NC --- (Headphone AMP) --- Schitt Magni