Storm Scout Front IO return.

So I bought a CM Storm Scout a few weeks ago, and unfortunately I ended up with one that had a bad front IO, always restarted when you thought about going near it. I got a hold of CM they sent me out a replacement, and everything is fine now. Only thing is I now have an extra top piece to my case because rather than send just the IO board they send the whole top piece with the IO board pre-installed.

So my question is this? Do they want it back? They didn't send any return info, never asked me if I received it. Just sent it in a case sized box and said here you go, thank you come again.

Anyone else have this experience?

Also on a side note, if they never do want it back what is it that cause the problem in the first place and could I repair it so I have an extra one just in case, or one to sell as "self referbed" or do I just toss it in the trash like a chewed up bone?

Thanks again for all you do! :thumbsup:

Edited by acpowell

Maybe it was the wire connecting your IO to the motherboard? It could have been incorrectly wired or you may have plugged it in incorrectly (unlikely but still a possibility) thus causing a short circuit and restarts.

Compare the soldering/wiring on both panels and spot the differences. You may be able to fix it if it is merely bad soldering or mixed up wiring :)

Edited by Alexandre

You might be able to fix it, idk i know all i've ever been able to do is ruin them worse. :biggrin:

I just love electrical stuff so I'm all for taking the chance to ruin something more because you will still (hopefully) learn from the experience lol

Edited by Alexandre

I just love electrical stuff so I'm all for taking the chance to ruin something more because you will still (hopefully) learn from the experience lol

Wel i supose if anything I would learn that messing with electrical can ruin your computer. That being said, from what I have read online there is some ground that isn't proper and causes an electrical short causeing the computer to restart like someone pressed the reset switch. Or maybe it is cause of static build up. I supose I could use a meter and check all the wires and make sure they are all properly grounded. It main happens when you touch the metal part of the USB/eSATA ports. If you touched anything other that those you were fine. So it does seem like a ground/shorting out issue.

Wel i supose if anything I would learn that messing with electrical can ruin your computer. That being said, from what I have read online there is some ground that isn't proper and causes an electrical short causeing the computer to restart like someone pressed the reset switch. Or maybe it is cause of static build up. I supose I could use a meter and check all the wires and make sure they are all properly grounded. It main happens when you touch the metal part of the USB/eSATA ports. If you touched anything other that those you were fine. So it does seem like a ground/shorting out issue.

Actually I was suggesting unplugin both from power and seeing if there is any physical short you can see. Look for difference between the two outside of your computer where you don't have a chance of shorting something :)

Actually I was suggesting unplugging both from power and seeing if there is any physical short you can see. Look for difference between the two outside of your computer where you don't have a chance of shorting something :)

you just took the fun out of computer Russian roulette. No you are right, and that is probably what I will do when I have the time. Took me an hour to rewire everything because I have my system board and HDDs and everything still in there. What I will do next time is dismantle the whole thing that way it is easier and maybe re-run some of my PSU cables. I need to get some extender cables because things have to run across my Motherboard to reach like the CPU power plug on the system board. that is a project for a later date though. I have it running well OCed so I don't want to tinker too much.

Damn dude, that sucks, gonna prob. be a pain to rewire the front I/O just because all the cabling runs through the top... Ugh man, Lol that really sucks. CM Storm Scout is a sweet case though. Mine took a dirty fall on my bed and is still in one piece. LOL thumbsup3.gif

Cooler Master in my experience never asks for anything back - they'd rather send you the parts and make you happy.

They sent the wrong case to BluePanda and instead of making us send back the HAF 932 Black Edition (which was an upgrade from what she ordered to begin with) they sent her all the parts that should have come with the HAF 932 Blue Edition (3x 230mm blue fans, 1x 140mm blue fan, 1x side panel with window). No charge for shipping on the replacement parts and they upgraded the original shipping to the $90+ UPS shipping to get it to her on time.

It was a bit of a pain but in the end they shelled out a TON of money to make things right.

Damn dude, that sucks, gonna prob. be a pain to rewire the front I/O just because all the cabling runs through the top... Ugh man, Lol that really sucks. CM Storm Scout is a sweet case though. Mine took a dirty fall on my bed and is still in one piece. LOL thumbsup3.gif

Yes, yes it was... I told my wife hey can we leave after I put this part on "real fast" she's like you mean in like an hour, since I told her like 10 minutes. It was more like an hour and 15 minutes.

Cooler Master in my experience never asks for anything back - they'd rather send you the parts and make you happy.

They sent the wrong case to BluePanda and instead of making us send back the HAF 932 Black Edition (which was an upgrade from what she ordered to begin with) they sent her all the parts that should have come with the HAF 932 Blue Edition (3x 230mm blue fans, 1x 140mm blue fan, 1x side panel with window). No charge for shipping on the replacement parts and they upgraded the original shipping to the $90+ UPS shipping to get it to her on time.

It was a bit of a pain but in the end they shelled out a TON of money to make things right.

Yeah I am glad they helped me. Took some time to get the part but all in all everything is well :)

• 1 month later...

Hey acpowell, ive been having same problem with my Cooler Master Scout case for months. It was driving me insane because each time I would plug in a usb key into any of my usb ports, it would restart. I finally decided to disconnect the front i/o usb's from the motherboard and use the usb ports provided by the motherboard in the back. At least now I know im not the only one to have this problem lol

Im trying to get a hold of cooler master without any luck...any help/hints would be appreciated? How did u reach them? (every time i call them they ask me to leave a message and never call back)

Thanks in advance.

Hey acpowell, ive been having same problem with my Cooler Master Scout case for months. It was driving me insane because each time I would plug in a usb key into any of my usb ports, it would restart. I finally decided to disconnect the front i/o usb's from the motherboard and use the usb ports provided by the motherboard in the back. At least now I know im not the only one to have this problem lol

Im trying to get a hold of cooler master without any luck...any help/hints would be appreciated? How did u reach them? (every time i call them they ask me to leave a message and never call back)

Thanks in advance.

Calling them will get you no where. Use the online tech support chat. That is how I procured a replacement. They make a good product most of the time but they arn't soo good with the customer service part. Just use the chat and you will get your replacement :)