El_Capitan's System Builds

El_Capitan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El_Capitan,

Please provide a street address so I can come burglarize your house :)

I don't think you'd want to do that, my security system is more elaborate than my computers. Camera's, alarms, notification system, back-up generator, and a dog... besides, it's all insured. I'm also good with throwing knives and axes if you catch me at home (I work 10 minutes walking distance). :P

The server used to be provided to companies I contracted with, but there's been no need currently, so I use it at home.

The secondary computer was a build (upgraded a few times since then) for someone else where they backed out of the deal and didn't want to pay me anything to build it and overclock it for them (I was asking for $200, then lowered it to $100 in the end, but ended up keeping it). It's come in handy on a few occasions, especially when friends come over for LAN parties.

I would hate to try and break in. Though i would love to get hands on another high end system. :evilgrin:

I don't think you'd want to do that, my security system is more elaborate than my computers. Camera's, alarms, notification system, back-up generator, and a dog... besides, it's all insured. I'm also good with throwing knives and axes if you catch me at home (I work 10 minutes walking distance). :P

And everyone on here calls me paranoid.....

I would hate to try and break in. Though i would love to get hands on another high end system. :evilgrin:

And everyone on here calls me paranoid.....

Lol, better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. That's a motto I like to follow. I used to work as a security guard in a Condominum building, I learned a good bit from there.

1. Helps protect my family, me, and my personal items. I don't own anything of importance other than my electronics (I need them for work).

2. Lowers insurance costs since I do have a great security system.

3. Prevents people from breaking in because they know about it.

4. Hard to sneak past. I did a lot of test attempts to try and sneak in. If the power goes out, the thieves would need to wait 12 hours until the back-up generator runs out of fuel. I also have cameras that capture the street view, so I can capture what kind of vehicles are out there. Not to mention a few hidden around the house. Motion sensors everywhere. You'd have to crawl in order to not have them go off (because of my dog). If you're crawling, my dog will say "Hi".

5. A police station is 4 blocks away. I work 8 blocks away. I can run there in 5 minutes, or the police, if they're faster.

6. I also have a few tracking devices hidden on some of the more expensive electronics. I used to be in the military, so I know a few buddies that were cryptologists that went into the CIA. Security can always be figured out, it's tracking the items that's stolen that ends up catching most theives.

What is happening to that i7-950 in the computer you gave to your brother and are upgrading to sandy bridge?

My friend bought it from me today. The CPU, Motherboard, and some memory.

you really love gtx 460 dont you? xD

how many do you have? 6, 7? :P

I have 5, but 2 are going to my brother's system (whichever ones overclock the least). I figure, if I ever decide to upgrade to a powerful single card (HD 6990 or GTX 595), or two GTX 560's in SLI, I can always keep one as a PhysX/Folding card, and replace my gf's HD 4350 with another. I keep one to fold with on my Server, and as a back-up in case I need a good working video card to swap in/out that isn't watercooled.

sometimes i am really wondering why people spend so much money on a pc... it is just mind boggeling xD

Most of my "computer" money comes from business dealings (so it's essentially free), and some of my poker winnings also go to buying some extra parts. Which is why I sell my upgraded parts at good prices.

I used to be a "budget" builder. I only had a Phenom II x3 720 BE for my first "new era" build (Phenom II's and Nehalem's - I mainly used laptops before switching over), with the best cheap DDR3 memory, etc. I could build a fast computer for $250 by finding good used parts and good combo deals online. However, now I'm an "enthusiast budget" builder. :P

$1000 for a CPU? No way.

$500 for a graphics card? Tempted, but no.

For a single component (or sum of components like graphics cards in SLI or HDD's in RAID), $350 is usually my limit.

sometimes i am really wondering why people spend so much money on a pc... it is just mind boggeling xD

Because they have the money to spend. Why do people spend a bunch of money on a new car when they can get a bike?