MSI Hawk GTX 460 Overclocking bonus/tweak

Satire

For those of you who didn't know, this gpu has 1 voltage regulator and the default nvidia circuit regulator. Since MSI Afterburner limited the custom voltage chip to +100 mV, depending on how good your temps were, you may have been restricted from a bigger OC. In the MSI Hawk GTX 460 review on this website, it shows the reviewer OC'ing the custom voltage chip by +100 mV, uninstalling Ab 2.0, installing Ab 1.6 and OC'ing the gpu further until 1.087 V (<- this is the nvidia circuit chip). But then, he couldn't OC the memory since 1.6 didn't support it.

Now here's how you do it properly:

1) Open Afterburner, select your OC profile applied with +100 mV and apply it.

2) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles

3) Open the VEN_10DE&DEV_XXXXXXXXX.cfg file and add these lines at the bottom:

[settings]

VDDC_Generic_Detection = 1

VDDC_uP6262_Detection = 0

4) Save.

5) Open Afterburner, you should now be able to see the slider that allows you to go up to 1.087 V. Moving it all the way to 1.087 V will stack with +100 mV. At the same time, you are also able to overvolt memory because it is still the same version.

To be able to go back, just remove those 3 lines, save and open AB again, you'll be able to see the +100 mV slider.

Enjoy :)

:pfp:

bro you didn't understand a single thing, i'll just assume you only read a few lines and posted

I interpreted it as:

The old Afterburner lets the MSI cards crank the voltage to 1.087v and the new one does not, but now can again with those tweaks.

right??

For those of you who didn't know, this gpu has 1 voltage regulator and the default nvidia circuit regulator. Since MSI Afterburner limited the custom voltage chip to +100 mV, depending on how good your temps were, you may have been restricted from a bigger OC. In the MSI Hawk GTX 460 review on this website, it shows the reviewer OC'ing the custom voltage chip by +100 mV, uninstalling Ab 2.0, installing Ab 1.6 and OC'ing the gpu further until 1.087 V (

Now here's how you do it properly:

1) Open Afterburner, select your OC profile applied with +100 mV and apply it.

2) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles

3) Open the VEN_10DE&DEV_XXXXXXXXX.cfg file and add these lines at the bottom:

[settings]

VDDC_Generic_Detection = 1

VDDC_uP6262_Detection = 0

4) Save.

5) Open Afterburner, you should now be able to see the slider that allows you to go up to 1.087 V. Moving it all the way to 1.087 V will stack with +100 mV. At the same time, you are also able to overvolt memory because it is still the same version.

To be able to go back, just remove those 3 lines, save and open AB again, you'll be able to see the +100 mV slider.

Enjoy :)

I will have to try that out. Thanks for the tip. What kind of clock speed increases did this allow for you above what was available with the 2.0 version of Afterburner.

I interpreted it as:

The old Afterburner lets the MSI cards crank the voltage to 1.087v and the new one does not, but now can again with those tweaks.

right??

Yes but you're seeing this as a disadvantage where as it isn't. Using the +100 mV slider from the voltage chip is superior to the 1.087 V default nvidia circuit (unless your stock voltage is 0.987 V, unlikely). Again, it varies cards from cards but as far as I know 90%+ of GTX 460s are able to get 900 mhz.

However before the card was even better of an overclocker BUT MSI had limited the +200 mV slider to +100 mV, however now if you apply this tweak, you can get both what every GPU gets: 1.087 V on the nvidia circuit AND +100 mV from the custom voltage chip.

@ccokeman: Since we're talking here above 900 mhz, it really depends where you're at (core clock wise) because the more frequency you add the more mV's it takes to hold it stable. You mentioned you were able to 955 mhz by reinstalling AB 1.6, so the result should be the same since we're not doing anything differently.

Edited by Satire

Yes but you're seeing this as a disadvantage where as it isn't. Using the +100 mV slider from the voltage chip is superior to the 1.087 V default nvidia circuit (unless your stock voltage is 0.987 V, unlikely). Again, it varies cards from cards but as far as I know 90%+ of GTX 460s are able to get 900 mhz.

However before the card was even better of an overclocker BUT MSI had limited the +200 mV slider to +100 mV, however now if you apply this tweak, you can get both what every GPU gets: 1.087 V on the nvidia circuit AND +100 mV from the custom voltage chip.

@ccokeman: Since we're talking here above 900 mhz, it really depends where you're at (core clock wise) because the more frequency you add the more mV's it takes to hold it stable. You mentioned you were able to 955 mhz by reinstalling AB 1.6, so the result should be the same since we're not doing anything differently.

Oh so the MSI's can apply 1.187v you're saying??

Yes. No other card has that custom voltage controller that gives you an additional +100 mV.

Essentially if you wanted to go real hardcore, you could flash the bios, unlocking 1.087 up to 1.212 and then add another +100 mV. I wouldn't recommend this at all unless you have some good water cooling, but I have seen people before asking for their bios to be unlocked past 1.212 which isn't possible, so I imagine this could work.. never tested.

Edited by Satire