Palit GTX 460 Fan Shattered

So yeah as the topic suggests, my palit GTX 460's fan broke...a lot. I lost 5 fins when the fan was only at 75% during a session of crysis. Needless to say I am unhappy, and palit has been very slow to respond to my rma request. They sure aren't XFX that's for sure, in terms of speedy responses. :glare:

Sad picture time! Here's the fan in it's fallen state. :(

Edit: sorry about the blurriness. That was poor lighting in that room.

post-70176-12865023353473_thumb.jpg

Edited by sheldorisafk

Oh...lovely is a pretty good word lol. I heard one blade break and then it was just a domino effect. I unplugged my case and thought I had popped capacitors somewhere!

All I had done was turn the fan up to 75% speed. About 2 hours into a game of crysis, snap!

To be fair though, other people have had the exact same thing happen to them, so it's my fault for taking a risk with the palit card. A shame too, I think it's a nice, quiet cooler. :(

The fan did do some damage as well, unfortunately. One of the capacitors on the back of the card has a noticeable dent in it from where a blade must have ricocheted into it. I can get a pic of it if you wanna see. :P

Damn, that sucks it dented a cap. Hopefully it still works.. but if Palit can just give you a new card then all the better.

Since other people have had it happen, I take it its an issue with the fan Palit used for the cooler? Seems kind of a problem if its not an isolated case.

It looks like to me, that someone used compressed air. And spun the fan at a high rate of speed. And shattered the fan.

I haven't dusted it out yet, I've only had it for about a month now. And if you clean out a video card, you ALWAYS hold the fan still in order to avoid that sort of thing. I learned that lesson when I burned out the bearings in my XFX 4890's fan a year ago.

Edit: Also I hope you're just making an observation, and not trying to troll the thread. I'm not in the mood to deal with trolls. :(

Edited by sheldorisafk

Heh I was actually considering that. But I just got my RMA confirmation email about 3 minutes ago so I'll be mailing it off for a new one tomorrow. I'd rather get it sent in now since a cap is dented. My lesson though: Next time I'll spend a little extra for something a little more sturdy. ;)