Black Series GTX 460 Series Video Card from ECS Benched

Nemo

This card from ECS comes with a factory overclock and an after-market cooling solution from Arctic Cooling. Check out what ccokeman has to say about the ECS GTX 460 Black - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ecs_gtx460_black/

What happened to the 4870/4890/GTX260/GTX275's...............I'd like to know how these cards are in comparison to the last generation cards. It's as if they all of a sudden didn't exist. Not a very comprehensible benchmark without these also. Knowing where they fall in line might make me consider an upgrade. But if the new cards fall short of a prospects expectations we could save money for a better card or wait til the next gen........ This is about the consumer right ?

Edited by maj.meathead

It comes down to time.

We don't have the time to test every single card from every series thats what makes it tough. As we go forward here in the next few months there is no point in testing those cards since they are not DX11 based so the numbers would be pointless.

You can check out this past review for some numbers to get an idea where things stand

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ladybird_gtx_285/

It comes down to time.

We don't have the time to test every single card from every series thats what makes it tough. As we go forward here in the next few months there is no point in testing those cards since they are not DX11 based so the numbers would be pointless.

You can check out this past review for some numbers to get an idea where things stand

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ladybird_gtx_285/

Thanks for the link. Checked it out and thought something didn't add up. Then I looked harder at the test set up. The GTX460 review has an over clocked processor whereas the other it's running stock. TBH I don't think I'll "upgrading" to a 460. The numbers aren't much better than what I can achieve with what I have. Did they just change the name ( again ) from the last series cards and enable DX11 through software change ?........ LOL. I know the hardware changed but there's truly not much to offer here unless you jump to the higher end. Why do they do this ? I'm one of those people that just has to have the next "great" toy but this bums me out.

Edited by maj.meathead

Thanks for the link. Checked it out and thought something didn't add up. Then I looked harder at the test set up. The GTX460 review has an over clocked processor whereas the other it's running stock. TBH I don't think I'll "upgrading" to a 460. The numbers aren't much better than what I can achieve with what I have. Did they just change the name ( again ) from the last series cards and enable DX11 through software change ?........ LOL. I know the hardware changed but there's truly not much to offer here unless you jump to the higher end. Why do they do this ? I'm one of those people that just has to have the next "great" toy but this bums me out.

What card do you currently have?

The GTX 460 is not just a name change as one would want to think and is not based upon older 2 series architecture, it is and entirely new GPU based on Nvidias GF 104 Fermi micro architecture.

It seems that people still cant get over a name change. That's marketing! People make more of it than there really is. An informed consumer will make a choice based on their research not a name!

Lets talk about the Pinto. Nice little compact car in the early 70's from Ford that had a penchant for exploding gas tanks that morphed into the .........Mustang II. Same guts new skin! Better bumper

What card do you currently have?

The GTX 460 is not just a name change as one would want to think and is not based upon older 2 series architecture, it is and entirely new GPU based on Nvidias GF 104 Fermi micro architecture.

It seems that people still cant get over a name change. That's marketing! People make more of it than there really is. An informed consumer will make a choice based on their research not a name!

Lets talk about the Pinto. Nice little compact car in the early 70's from Ford that had a penchant for exploding gas tanks that morphed into the .........Mustang II. Same guts new skin! Better bumper

You need to back and read what I printed. I know it's a different card. But you can't readily see by the charts provided how it stood against "last" generation cards. It's only compared with newer cards. After reading the review in the link provided and checking out the hardware used and the clock speeds I determined that it really wouldn't be a worthy upgrade for me. It would have been much easier for me or any reader to determine this if all the cards were listed in the chart. Perhaps the owner/benchmarker could make a hierarchy chart sometime in the future.... using the same hardware and clock speeds ... ???? I've been building machines and buying hardware for about 10 years now. I am wise to what goes on on the hardware side of things but would be nice to have a more comprehensive "look" at things...... not that I'm really complaining about what we already got. It's also tough for the average gamer/user to guess what the card will do on their machine. I'm sure most people who read these benchmarks don't have "bleeding edge" technology. I still use a Q9550. How well is that going to push this new hardware. No way to tell until you bench it yourself..... although I'm savvy enough to have that figured out already.

referring to the "name change" thing. Making the differentiation that the 460 might not be any better than say a 260...... can you figure out what I'm getting at ?

referring to the "name change" thing. Making the differentiation that the 460 might not be any better than say a 260...... can you figure out what I'm getting at ?

uhm, I'm pretty sure that the 460 murders the 260 and compares more to a heavily overclocked 285.

uhm, I'm pretty sure that the 460 murders the 260 and compares more to a heavily overclocked 285.

Well, maybe I should have said the 460 might not be any better than the 280.......... do you understand now ?..................... omitting the DX architecture.

Edited by maj.meathead

You need to back and read what I printed. I know it's a different card. But you can't readily see by the charts provided how it stood against "last" generation cards. It's only compared with newer cards. After reading the review in the link provided and checking out the hardware used and the clock speeds I determined that it really wouldn't be a worthy upgrade for me. It would have been much easier for me or any reader to determine this if all the cards were listed in the chart. Perhaps the owner/benchmarker could make a hierarchy chart sometime in the future.... using the same hardware and clock speeds ... ???? I've been building machines and buying hardware for about 10 years now. I am wise to what goes on on the hardware side of things but would be nice to have a more comprehensive "look" at things...... not that I'm really complaining about what we already got. It's also tough for the average gamer/user to guess what the card will do on their machine. I'm sure most people who read these benchmarks don't have "bleeding edge" technology. I still use a Q9550. How well is that going to push this new hardware. No way to tell until you bench it yourself..... although I'm savvy enough to have that figured out already.

I understand your point perfectly. But it is a double edged sword when you look at the fact that driver enhancements happen so fast that testing 30 cards every 3 to 4 weeks is a process that is not going to happen. I could do that and then I get complaints that I didn't use the latest driver we are vilified for that. At that point there is no time for testing new hardware. See my point.

I know where you are going and can appreciate that. I may just look into doing a single test with the entire lineup that I have. Unfortunately you have two classes of cards. The high and mid range and then the low end requiring two different testing methodologies. Results between those two are not comparable.