3 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo

Will Fold 4 Food

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7228 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:53 AM

OCC tests a device intended to provide surround sound simulation. Check out the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS - http://www.overclock...ws/earforcedss/

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz / ASUS P5Q Deluxe / Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB PC2-9600 DDR2-1200MHz / 2x Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB RAID 1 / Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB
Corsair TX750W / Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 / SilverStone TJ05 / Scythe Zipang 140mm CPU Cooler / ASUS VH202T-P 20" widescreen monitor (x2) / XP Pro SP 3
"however, i cannot claim to be such a fish as i am not a fish at all..." - hardnrg,Jul 4 2005, 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Follow OCC on Posted Image
Subscribe to the OCC Newsletter

Lucky Mudder Race 2013

#2 Locutus

Locutus

Fortune favors the bold.

• Folding Member
  • 1879 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:05 AM

Way too expensive for simulated surround sound. :(

Heatware - Ebay

"I can't believe I ate the entire kitten!"

sigimage.gif

#3 bishop245

bishop245

So broke I can't even pay attention.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9878 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:02 AM

i agree way to pricey for simulated when you can buy 5.1 speakers and a 5.1 sound card though of dubious quality for about the same lol

#4 GenesisGod

GenesisGod

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

Interesting. I actually own a DSS from Turtlebeach and have to say that it has been nothing short of impressive. I'm wondering if the reviewer had it hooked up and/or configured correctly. Based on what he was saying about the surround sound not being as accurate as he would have liked, I'm assuming that he was getting Dolby Pro Logic, not Dolby Digital. It would have helped if he mentioned in the review what the LED status read while he was formulating his opinions.

Also, wouldn't it have been helpful to use a comparison with other products that use Dolby Headphone? For example, I also have an Astro MixAmp--and that performs exactly the same as the Turtlebeach DSS (movies, PC games, console games, music). Obviously it would have also been helpful to use this processor on a console since that would ensure the correct signal was feeding through to the device.

Edited by GenesisGod, 07 September 2010 - 06:49 AM.