QNAP TS-459U-RP Turbo 1U Rackmount NAS Evaluation

Nemo

Awesome work hardnrg - do you feel as if you've just given birth?!?!

I really like the clean look to the Web UI, I'm assuming it is AJAX-based. It certainly has a much more modern look and feel than some of its competitors. I'm also impressed with the performance numbers, especially on the Office Productivity tests. That's where a 1.66GHz dual-core processor and 1GB memory really help things out.

Awesome review!

I don't have time to read through it now, as I'm at work, but I know how long and hard you worked on this, nrg, so congrats for finally finishing it. Nice job! And it's nice to see you went back and used the new firmware :)

I don't have time to read through it now, as I'm at work, but I know how long and hard you worked on this, nrg, so congrats for finally finishing it. Nice job! And it's nice to see you went back and used the new firmware :)

Common with all Steve's reviews - he does it down to the very last detail. Editor's nightmare!

Awesome work hardnrg - do you feel as if you've just given birth?!?!

I really like the clean look to the Web UI, I'm assuming it is AJAX-based. It certainly has a much more modern look and feel than some of its competitors. I'm also impressed with the performance numbers, especially on the Office Productivity tests. That's where a 1.66GHz dual-core processor and 1GB memory really help things out.

Haha, yes, a rather large baby too :lol:

It is indeed AJAX-based, and feels very similar to using an application running on a client, rather than the antiquated browser-based interfaces you tend to find on most network equipment.

I do wonder if the apparent 1Gbps performance cap is something that will be resolved in a firmware update, or whether I need to use a different protocol or something to get nearer the 2Gbps of a dual LACP link, but I certainly think the solid performance now is incredible for the power consumption. (edit: I've since learned that transactions between two single devices over LACP will only ever use 1 link, hence 1Gbps... multiple computers accessing the NAS simultaneously will make use of the additional 2nd link, and bring the overall transfer rate nearer to the available 2Gbps total bandwidth)