#1 Dariuas

Dariuas

MultiDirectional Biproduct of a Hotdog

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

http://www.overclock...com/news/26881/

Violence in video games has been a big question in political minds around the globe,
now, the powers that be will make a final decision on video games.

Do you believe video games are the cause of video game violence?
Do you think the government should have the right to regulate video games?
Do you think video games are a form of art?

Lets hear your thoughts!

Gaming, Art, Programming, and what ever else machine

Asus P6T Deluxe Intel Core i7 920

nVidia 670 ti 12GB Mushkin Triple Channel 1600 850w Thermaltake PSU Cool Master Storm Sniper

RIP Verran gone but never will be forgotten.

[OCC Chat Room] [OCC Rules]

#2 CowKing

CowKing

Phil ain't got nothin' on me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:58 PM

yes(video game violence yes. real world violence no) :P
no
yes
CPU: (Intel)q9450@3.36GHz|1.4v
Power Supply: (Antec)BP550|550w
GFX Card: (PNY)GTX 460|800-1600-4000 biggest GTX 460 dud OCer
Motherboard: (Gigabyte)P35-DS3R |P35|
Memory: (Mushkin) Redline 2x2GB DDR2 1000|1050MHz 5-5-5-12|
Ayn Rand is the author for people who want to act like complete douche-bags, but don't have the balls to just admit that they are douche-bags.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

OCC Cool Club Member

#3 RogerDeath

RogerDeath

Geek

• Folding Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

We all knew this was coming, it was just a matter of time. If art and movies are considered to be covered by free-speech then why not video games?

Watch though, as the case ends up screwing the video game industry. At least they get a VERRRY strong group of supporters!

Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.0 GHz | Thermaltake Frio | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Galaxy GTX 670 Stock | 500w Thermaltake PSU
My YouTube
Posted Image

#4 CowKing

CowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

Ya this is so flippin stupid.

If you are doing it for games then you might as well do it for Movies, Music, Cars, Computers, Facebook, Twitter, MSN, Boxing, MMA, Hockey, etc and thing else that could cause violence. Might as well get rid of the Miltary and police officers while your at it.

Lawsuits and court battles never cease to amaze me. :mad:

Your in Canada so your safe.....for the time being :ph34r:

Edit: HAHA snaged your post
Ayn Rand is the author for people who want to act like complete douche-bags, but don't have the balls to just admit that they are douche-bags.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

OCC Cool Club Member

#5 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32282 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:16 PM

I hit the wrong button :(

Ya this is so flippin stupid.

If you are doing it for games then you might as well do it for T.V, Movies, Music, Cars, Computers, Facebook, Twitter, MSN, Boxing, MMA, Hockey, etc and thing else that could cause violence. Might as well get rid of the Miltary and police officers while your at it.

Lawsuits and court battles never cease to amaze me. :mad:

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#6 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32282 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:18 PM

Your in Canada so your safe.....for the time being :ph34r:

Edit: HAHA snaged your post

Ya but our stupid goverment seems to follow whatever the US does so I am sure it wouldn't take long to pass here either :glare:

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#7 CowKing

CowKing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

poor Canada North United States :(

OCC Cool Club Member

#8 Deathmineral

Deathmineral

No soup for you!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3811 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

yes(video game violence yes. real world violence no) :P
no
yes

Just going to quote him for my answers since he already explained what I would have said to that first question. :D

The idea that a game like GTA can cause people to be violent is pretty funny in my opinion seeing as how the locations that GTA games are based on are already known for their violence, if anything it's the real world that brings violence to video games, I mean games didn't come first, we made them long after violence occurred. That's just how I see it anyway, I've never felt video games make me a violent person.

The second question is hard to answer because I think it could depend on the kind of government and economy a country goes by. As for my own country, U.S., I don't think they should be allowed to regulate games.

As for the third question, definitely, not sure how to expand on it but I would definitely call it an art.

poor Northern United States :(

Northern United States? So there's a south and north again? Civil War for video games? I like the sound of that... :D

Posted Image

#9 uneedav8

uneedav8

DFI Stormtrooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2635 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

Video game violence causing real world violence is like blaming the spoon, for making Rosie O'donnell fat.....

ASUS ROG X79 EXTREME
i7 3820 @ 4.6
16GB Mushkin Redline 2133mhz
EVGA 680 GTX 4GB FTW+ 3 WAY SLI
120GB Patriot Wildfire SSD RAID 0 + 3x 1TB WB BLACK RAID 0
1200W Corsair AX PSU
Soundblaster X-FI titanium
Bigfoot Killer 2100 NIC

#10 bp9801

bp9801

Please press any key to continue

• News Editor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7915 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

Northern United States? So there's a south and north again? Civil War for video games? I like the sound of that... :D

I'm waiting for the day we annex Canada. :P :lol:

Anyways...

if video games caused violent or abnormal behavior in anyone who played it, we'd all be tripping out on mushrooms, slamming our heads into random bricks that hover in the air, and trying to eat flowers in order to shoot fireballs from our fingers.

Anyone who thinks video games cause crazy behavior is just forgetting their childhood and what an imagination is. Video games are an escape from whatever we want for a few hours at a time. Lousy job? Go play Call of Duty for a bit and take it out on online avatars. In-laws visit for a week? See the escape for lousy job. Sure, it may be different than using our imagination to get away from stress/anger/boredom, but aren't video games created from the imaginations of the designers?

I don't know about you guys, but I play video games to help me unwind after a long day. Some people read books, others watch movies, some draw, but I play video games. There is almost nothing better than to lose yourself in a video game for a few hours and just get drawn into its world and believe you are making a difference for the characters in it.

AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3.6GHz - ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO - EVGA GTX 770 2GB
G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 - OCZ Agility 4 128GB SSD - Seagate 500GB + 750GB - WD 1TB - Cooler Master SPH 1050W
ASUS Xonar Xense + Sennheiser PC-350 Xense Edition + Sennheiser HD-280 Pro + HD-555 - Thermolab BARAM 2010 - Cooler Master HAF XM

Follow OCC on facebook.png
fqIbpPl.png

#11 slick2500

slick2500

mmm beer

• Folding Member
  • 2008 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:41 PM

I'm waiting for the day we annex Canada. :P :lol:

Anyways...

if video games caused violent or abnormal behavior in anyone who played it, we'd all be tripping out on mushrooms, slamming our heads into random bricks that hover in the air, and trying to eat flowers in order to shoot fireballs from our fingers.

Anyone who thinks video games cause crazy behavior is just forgetting their childhood and what an imagination is. Video games are an escape from whatever we want for a few hours at a time. Lousy job? Go play Call of Duty for a bit and take it out on online avatars. In-laws visit for a week? See the escape for lousy job. Sure, it may be different than using our imagination to get away from stress/anger/boredom, but aren't video games created from the imaginations of the designers?

I don't know about you guys, but I play video games to help me unwind after a long day. Some people read books, others watch movies, some draw, but I play video games. There is almost nothing better than to lose yourself in a video game for a few hours and just get drawn into its world and believe you are making a difference for the characters in it.

Amen brother. You pretty much said what I was thinking.

Always those right wing nutjobs blaming music movies and video games for our societies problems. They really need to start pointing fingers at the real problem theses kids's parents, maybe if parents actually watched their kids instead of making the television into a babysitter they would know that their kid has problems and if they would actually help them with their problems instead of making them worse these things would not happen, but no the parents insist that it was the Eminem cd that made their kid burn down the house next door, or Home Alone for their kid throwing bricks at and killing his friend, why we are at it lets blame the Mars corporation for rotting our teeth, and Wal-Mart for selling the air duster that our kid overdosed on, or Budweiser for the drunk driver that killed someone. I could go on but I think you see my point.

Edited by slick2500, 14 July 2010 - 11:55 PM.

slick2500.jpg
Main Rig AMD FX 6300 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Team Dark 2x4GB DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 Dual Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X R9 270X Corsair TX850 PSU Coolermaster Stacker 830SE

#12 SenitaL

SenitaL

Human\\Animals are :::Fascinating:::

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:13 AM

(continued from the main page article)

Then it's the peoples duty to push back. 'merica style. B)

Heh, protests, demonstrations, mobs, petitions, people climbing on buildings and planes with banners.. at best all it'll do is get a small article in some newspaper. (not even front page, thats reserved for celeb scandals and sport) Were not allowed to even carry a knife longer then what 2 inches? never mind flipping Sniper rifles like you lot :P

Posted Image

= MSI DKA790GX Platinum = AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE.=
= ATI HD5870+8800GTX for PhysX=Zalman GT1000,=
= 4GB OCZ ReaperX DDR2 PC-8000=Corsair HX620w,=

= True Black<=||<=Razer: Tarantula,Lachesis,eXactMat =