142 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo

Will Fold 4 Food

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7228 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:02 PM

PowerColor is working with OCC to determine the "next big thing". We all know about Eyefinity and 3D TV’s, but what do you see as the next big thing in graphics or visuals? We want to hear your ideas and the best three will picked to receive one of three PowerColor video cards. The top idea qualifies for a Radeon HD 5850 video card. The next two ideas will qualify the members for a HD 5550 card.

Post up your ideas in this thread and let us know what the next big thing is going to be. The contest runs from 6/28 - 7/5. Good Luck!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz / ASUS P5Q Deluxe / Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB PC2-9600 DDR2-1200MHz / 2x Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB RAID 1 / Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB
Corsair TX750W / Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 / SilverStone TJ05 / Scythe Zipang 140mm CPU Cooler / ASUS VH202T-P 20" widescreen monitor (x2) / XP Pro SP 3
"however, i cannot claim to be such a fish as i am not a fish at all..." - hardnrg,Jul 4 2005, 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Follow OCC on Posted Image
Subscribe to the OCC Newsletter

Lucky Mudder Race 2013

#2 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32269 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

Not that I am entering the contest, but I just wanted to throw an ideas out there.

Hopefully we might see some more GPU based cards. They are very few and it would be nice for some people get some SLI/CF options at lower price points.

Maybe higher refresh rates on monitors.

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#3 cjloki

cjloki

Demigod

• Donated T5
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3050 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

Not that I am entering the contest, but I just wanted to throw an ideas out there.

Hopefully we might see some more GPU based cards. They are very few and it would be nice for some people get some SLI/CF options at lower price points.

Maybe higher refresh rates on monitors.

call me silly but i'm thinkin' fully immersive interactive holographic gaming, where the gamer is surrounded by hologrphic projections of scenery and artifacts, enemys/friends etc. the computerized digital gaming area recognizes the movements of the gamer and actions of say "weapons fire" in relation to the projections and adjusts the visuals accordingly. the holographic images could be produced by a projector similar to what is utilized by projection tv (i think hologram projectors are already available) and computer controlled. the gamer's movements can be monitored with wii-like or newer similar tech. so it boils down to putting the gamer in the action and have the action react to movements and actions of the gamer...motion and graphics being processed and projected holographically within a specific area rather than on a flatscreen...far fetched i know but i can't help it...i grew up in the blade runner, star wars era
kwik edit: most of this could be accomplished with off the shelf technology right now...some would have to be worked out...3d on a flat screen seems so uh "flat"
btw i don't need another graphics card but i do like idea brainstorming for fun...

#1) ASUS F2A85-V PRO+AMD 6800k@4.7ghz,Corsair H100,20gb Crucial Ballistix ddr3 1600@1866,xfx7970 Black,GTX650 physx,2x128gb vertex4's raid0,2x600gb WD velociraptors,Sony OptiarcDVD rw,Antec1200 Full tower,Coolmax cug-950,w8pro64, gaming

#2) ASUS rampage formula+qx9770@4ghz, Corsair h100, 4gb ocz 1200, twin cav black 500's raid/0, CF 2x6870, corsair 750, custom DIY coolermaster glite mid tower, Sony OptiarcDVD, w7pro64, main office/server/gamin

#3) Gigabyte p55ud5+I-7 875k@2.93turbo, 4g gskill PIS 2200, nvidia gt520, corsair h50, samsung f3 1tb, lg supermultiDVD, coolermaster 500w psu, raidmax sieran, win8pro64 clone, strictly folding 15k-30k ppd 

Bloodbath

Warweeny: " just let it go, be free and relax ! "

#4 damian

damian

Nerd Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2760 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:09 PM

Personally i can't wait to see what developers will be working with in the coming years. It really is exciting to think what the next best thing is going to be. This might be a little to vague of an answer but in my opinion it's all about the programmers and their ambitions. I guess this works in conjunction with hardware but with the introduction of Tesla, Physics, and ever evolving 3d accelerators it's up to the programmers :) For example, the new CryEngine 3 includes many technological features to further improve graphics (just see for yourself) http://en.wikipedia....iki/CryEngine_3

Simply put, improved engines. Whether it be better lighting, mapping, rendering, etc, that's what makes the games stunning.

Awesome idea for a thread, i can't wait to hear more responses.

EDIT: Oh wait i got another idea, I'm guessing only one "submission" per person is a rule of thumb? And if not, well for the sake of the thread.
Mobility gaming (Laptops) That's what gamers could really benefit from. If anything, we need more efficient and longer battery lasting laptops. Hopefully we get Laptops that can compete with an average gaming computer, and doesn't act like an oven while doing so. This could also be a really be a big thing for gamers and their LAN parties. It might not be the next "best" thing but hopefully it could be one of them. It would also be an asset to electronic sports. I'm a big follower in the gaming competitive scene so this is something I would love to see come to life. Sure would help revenues therefore meaning more and more legit tournaments and less expensive electricity bills! :P

#5 RogerDeath

RogerDeath

Geek

• Folding Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

I think that we need more effecient, cost-effective video cards. I often find myself limited at what I can get because I still use a 500w PSU and only have 1 6-pin (forget those stupid adapters, they scare me). I end up having to wait until the next series to get the high-end performance from the previous one. Case in point, I had to go with a 3870 over the 2900 XT due to 6-pin just as I did the 5770 over the 4870/4890 so I could actually play something recent. That brings me to the cost-effective portion, where I point out I usually end up waiting until the end of a card's production cycle before I end up getting it because it costs too much. I know ATi/AMD (they will always be ATi to me) has been trying to do this since the RV770 (48x0's base) but it still needs work! (only reason I even managed to get a 5770 was a gift certificate to Newegg).

Notice these two also go hand in hand! The older the card the lower the power needed (8800GT to 9800GT to GTS250) and usually the cheaper it gets. Can we start making a chipset series that is designed around the mid level and gets built upwards instead of this idea that everything needs to go from the top to the bottom. I'll probably end up waiting until NI comes out in 1-2 years before getting another graphics card because how long it takes for the top level card to finally fall to generally affordable levels, so designing for that market and upscaling everything makes a bit more sense to me. I get that Juniper is somewhat a realization of this compared to Cypress but it still needs to get done faster! I'll almost never be able to say I have a top-of-the-line card the way we are going now!

Intel Core i5-2500k @ 4.0 GHz | Thermaltake Frio | MSI P67A-GD55 | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Galaxy GTX 670 Stock | 500w Thermaltake PSU
My YouTube
Posted Image

#6 xchrissypoox

xchrissypoox

Not new member.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

Seperate screen for HUD elements, it could be an lcd screen thats 2"x6" and touchscreen, this would also be very functional for things like photoshop so that you can use your main screen as a workspace only,
[attachment=12443:example.jpg]
Ultra widescreen monitors that cover 180 degrees around you, probably with 3d support. I realize I'm only combining things but still I'd pay more money for that then I would for eyefinity.
Also controllers with more face buttons and buttons on the back for all those wasted fingers, it's not visuals related but damn't I've always wanted it.
I recall seeing lights that made your room the median color of what was on your screen and it was pretty cool.
Posted Image

#7 danieljury3

danieljury3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:45 PM

I find it difficult to imagine how the future of graphics technology will look without actually experiencing it like how I don't see how 3D can be much better than 2D because Ive never experienced it.
It also works in reverse to some extent like when I remember older games looking better than the actually are then actually play them and see how bad the graphics are (doesn't apply to retro games).

If I must suggest something though head mounted displays would be good especially if moving you head in real life could affect the game (maybe not so good for prolonged usage lest you get neck strain)

AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.3Ghz 1.375V | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ with 2 Sickleflow fans 34C load/26C Idle | Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD6850 | Kingston HyperX 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8 | OCZ Modxstream 900W | Windows 7 64bit
Western Digital Caviar Black+Blue 2x1TB Raid 0 | Viewsonic VX2453 24" LED + 17" CRT monitors | CM Storm Sentential Advance gaming mouse & Logitech G110 Keyboard
Posted Image

#8 malmsteenisgod

malmsteenisgod

Ultimus Romanorum

• Review Editor
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:47 PM

I wouldn't really call this the next "big" thing, but it sounds like something very simple to implement that I've been wanting for a long time.

Now that Eyefinity is out and multi-monitor setups are more popular than ever, one of the things that deters me from getting multiple monitors is that monitors have about 1/2" thick frames around each edge, so if you combine two monitors together you end up with a 1" gap in the display. I find that gap to be annoying, and can be really bad if you're playing a shooter game and your cross-hair is going to be divided between two monitors. Eyefinity has a feature to compensate for this gap, but it doesn't really solve the problem. What I would like to see is monitors with removable edges and a feature to snap the monitors together from the back side of the monitors to give the appearance that you're looking at one large seamless display. I think this would be huge for Eyefinity, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the edges of monitors as a deterrent from buying more monitors.
Education ||||| Honesty |||||| Charity ||||| Motivation ||||| Empathy

#9 slick2500

slick2500

mmm beer

• Folding Member
  • 1996 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:06 AM

I wouldn't really call this the next "big" thing, but it sounds like something very simple to implement that I've been wanting for a long time.

Now that Eyefinity is out and multi-monitor setups are more popular than ever, one of the things that deters me from getting multiple monitors is that monitors have about 1/2" thick frames around each edge, so if you combine two monitors together you end up with a 1" gap in the display. I find that gap to be annoying, and can be really bad if you're playing a shooter game and your cross-hair is going to be divided between two monitors. Eyefinity has a feature to compensate for this gap, but it doesn't really solve the problem. What I would like to see is monitors with removable edges and a feature to snap the monitors together from the back side of the monitors to give the appearance that you're looking at one large seamless display. I think this would be huge for Eyefinity, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds the edges of monitors as a deterrent from buying more monitors.

Dude I was thinking that same thing last night, like making a frame or cabinet or something that holds 3 or 6 monitors depending on what you are doing. You remove the lcd from the bezel and this frame or cabinet holds the lcds together so that the screens are just touching, and slightly angling the outside screens. I've actually got a general concept of how this could theoretically work in my head.

slick2500.jpg
Main Rig AMD FX 6300 Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Team Dark 2x4GB DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 Dual Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X R9 270X Corsair TX850 PSU Coolermaster Stacker 830SE

#10 joel.monteiro

joel.monteiro

The Engineer.

• FW Team Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:45 AM

Well they can make a new custom graphic card called 5950,with two 5850 gpus ,if priced right it will sell.
Phenom 9950 BE @ 2.7 ,Noctua NH-D14 ,Gigabyte 780G,Palit Sonic HD 4870 Oc 830/1120 ,Tagan 500w upto 600w ,Benq hd2200 max res 1920x1080 ,NZXT Tempest Evo ,Corsair Xms2 800 Mhz 4GB

#11 danieljury3

danieljury3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:39 AM

Well they can make a new custom graphic card called 5950,with two 5850 gpus ,if priced right it will sell.

Dosent the 5870 fill that price gap

AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.3Ghz 1.375V | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ with 2 Sickleflow fans 34C load/26C Idle | Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD6850 | Kingston HyperX 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8 | OCZ Modxstream 900W | Windows 7 64bit
Western Digital Caviar Black+Blue 2x1TB Raid 0 | Viewsonic VX2453 24" LED + 17" CRT monitors | CM Storm Sentential Advance gaming mouse & Logitech G110 Keyboard
Posted Image

#12 kingdingeling

kingdingeling

King of the Autobahn

• Folding Member
  • 10247 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:51 AM

Personally, I hope that OLED technology catches on some more, those screens have amazing colours and contrasts! I saw one back when I was at CeBit in 2008 or 2009, just a technical exercise from the manufacturer, but the colours were just breathtakingly crisp and clear!

But then again, I have no read up on that since back then, so it might actually already be on the way? :typing:

I guess I have no excuse for not being as awesome as King... - iKillSteal

Seriously, big credit goes out to King for maintaining this list. He puts a lot of work into this thing and he deserves our thanks! - Verran

RIP

| Samsung P480-Pro | Core i3 370M 2.4GHz | 4GB DDR3-1066 | GeForce GT330M | 320GB | 14" |