AMD Athlon II X4 640 CPU Tested

Nemo

Very nice...

seems AMD is kicking it in gear and really doing some amazing things...this is the one I am most interested in...cant wait to see a review on it....

AMD will offer the X930 Black Edition processor. This one will come clocked at 2.3GHz and consume 45W of power, making it better suited for bigger laptops and desktop replacements.

or simple home media servers and HTPCs

Some interesting results on the fourth page there. Takes the more powerful 1090T took 154 seconds to un-rar a 100MB file overclocked but only takes 18 at stock?

Also, farther on down the page the 500MB Stock and Overclocked charts seem REALLY wierd. Everything ran better at stock then they did when overclocked? Just look at those "stock" results for the 640 and 635 compared to the 435 and honestly tell me that this at least LOOKS strange to the eye.

Other then those few moments of confusion, I'm glad to see that AMD is stepping up its game and putting the pressure on Intel.

Some interesting results on the fourth page there. Takes the more powerful 1090T took 154 seconds to un-rar a 100MB file overclocked but only takes 18 at stock?

Also, farther on down the page the 500MB Stock and Overclocked charts seem REALLY wierd. Everything ran better at stock then they did when overclocked? Just look at those "stock" results for the 640 and 635 compared to the 435 and honestly tell me that this at least LOOKS strange to the eye.

Other then those few moments of confusion, I'm glad to see that AMD is stepping up its game and putting the pressure on Intel.

I took a look and there was some typos in the graph should be ok now.

I took a look and there was some typos in the graph should be ok now.

Thats all I thought it was, but if somebody just glanced at it and didn't really look at it (or if somebody got linked there that had no idea what any of those things mean) might get the wrong idea. Damn our fat fingers for hitting multiple keys at the same time!

I was not aware that any of the Athlon II line of processors had an unlocked multiplier, and this was sole territory of the BE line of chips. I mention this because of your arguement that a 635 could have its multiplier bumped to maych the 640.

I was surprised it only made 3.75 GHz... The several 630's I've tested did better then that on good air cooling easy. Clock speed increase ftw but doesn't make sense to up the multi and raise price 20$ to match the jump if they clock the same as the 630/620

The first link has no AA or AF turned on. Second link has everything turned on.

I can have Alan double check the numbers just to make sure

I wish there would be an Athlon II Black Edition.

And I've read that part that says Athlon II 635 can be set to x15 multiplier. Please confirm.

uh ummm...

AMD will offer the X930 Black Edition processor. This one will come clocked at 2.3GHz and consume 45W of power, making it better suited for bigger laptops and desktop replacements.

if its not an Athlon II its darn close...it is a mobile DTR....