Time for a HTPC Build

Crazy_Nate

It's time for me to upgrade my hardware. I will be doing so in the form of a case that is much smaller than my current case (TT Armor), and perhaps, quieter as well. To start, here's the proposed hardware:

Intel i5 650 dual core processor

Thermalright AXP-140 heatsink (passive if it will fit)

ASUS Gene III P55 / mATX motherboard

Mushkin Blackline 2x2GB 1.35V DDR3

WD Black 1TB

PCP&C Silencer 610 (or...pending size issues and to keep it clean Corsair HX-650)

8800GTS 512MB

Blu-ray drive

and...most importantly, the case:

Silverstone Grandia GD04B (curious? check out this review)

Here's some pictures of the case. One of the main reasons for selecting this case is the three 120mm fans, filters, and general case layout. But...it'll need a little modification before I give it the OK!

Top / Front:

post-32176-1270412219_thumb.jpg

Left side / front input & output ports:

post-32176-1270412312_thumb.jpg

Right side / front - power, reset, LEDs and the drive bay:

post-32176-1270412942_thumb.jpg

Right side - dual intake fans (with filters behind them - going to fix that shortly!):

post-32176-1270412629_thumb.jpg

Back, right side:

post-32176-1270412746_thumb.jpg

Back, left side:

post-32176-1270412790_thumb.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disassembling the front

Notice the machined lip on the front plate. There are a couple extra screws to remove.

post-32176-1270413709_thumb.jpg

Behind the input / output ports...

post-32176-1270413789_thumb.jpg

With the connectors for the switches removed...

post-32176-1270413922_thumb.jpg

The empty skeleton:

post-32176-1270414022_thumb.jpg

Planned mods!

1. Replace power and reset switches with anti-vandal switches. The stock ones are a little flimsy and have a history of not surviving in the long run. I plan on using one 22mm and one 16mm switch, both black / white ring. I'll have the slots milled at work :)
  2. Remove unnecessary grills, relocate filters before fans
  3. Black out everything. I'll have it either wet painted / fine textured or fine texture powder coat. I have yet to decide, but it might be easier to just have it painted.
  4. Add cable routing and wire management features
  5. Debadge the front. Some of the silkscreen is not properly centered, and it'll just be cleaner afterward. Shouldn't be hard with a little lacquer thinner or similar type product!

If I end up going with the Corsair power supply...I might decide to fabricate custom wires - exactly what I need and the exact lengths I need!

Stay tuned!

PS: I game at 1080p, so this build should be oriented in that fashion as well :)

Not sure if this is a good blu-ray drive, but it's pretty cheap. About $10 cheaper than the lowest one on Newegg.

$50 ASUS 4x Blu-ray drive:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/32548/asus...l-blu-ray-drive

Here is the actual drive on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827135205

Thanks for the recommendation, but I have one already. It's a cheap lite-on reader that I got for about $45 on one of those wonderful deals :)

Here's the current hole sizes for the square buttons...

Reset

0.525" across, ~0.693" on the diagonal, chamfered roughly 0.070". Overall diagonal = 0.830" = 21.082mm

Power

0.660" across, ~0.889" on the diagonal, chamfered roughly 0.070". Overall diagonal = 1.018" = 25.857mm

Sooo...I think I'm going to be stuck with two 22mm vandal-resistant switches. What I'll probably do is have the slots opened to 0.750", and then have them counterbored at 1.000", then very slightly countersunk to remove the little material that would be barely noticeable on the power button. I'll probably have them counterbored down .030-.050.

Unfortunately there will be a minor gap between the counterbore (1" diameter) and the outside ring of the switch (22mm = 0.866"), meaning a 0.067" gap. I'll make it nice and clean so it'll be aesthetically pleasing :lol:

Here's the current hole sizes for the square buttons...

Reset

21.082mm

Power

25.857mm

Sooo...I think I'm going to be stuck with two 22mm vandal-resistant switches.

(blah blah blah counterbore blah blah)

Lamptron do 25mm hole switches: http://www.lamptron.com/products/view/Blac...ant_Illuminated

they're Delrin (polymer) rather than metal body

Lamptron do 25mm hole switches: http://www.lamptron.com/products/view/Blac...ant_Illuminated

they're Delrin (polymer) rather than metal body

Awesome! I'll find a supplier tomorrow :)

It's much simpler if I don't have to add extra features to compensate. Ya, we make a bit of parts at work out of delrin. I'd rather have an anodized aluminum switch, but delrin will be fine.

And, yes, I'll probably go modular. I'm sure I can find another use for this wonderful PSU that I'm running. It's just a hair too long...