Overclocking Athlon X4 630

CDMCCDMC

PC Spec:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (Build 7600)

Motherboard: M4N72-E SLI 750a

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor (4 CPUs), 3.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM DDR2 800+Mhz (4x2GB)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 775M XXX Edition

PSU: ~750W

(CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper TX3)

(RAM Cooling: Titan Cooler 80mm 3 X RED LED)

Untitled_3.jpg

in BIOS core voltage is 1.4500

RAM is set to 667Mhz mode. all other is on auto

how far i can push it? now running at 3.5Ghz stable. (tested with Prime95, played GTAIV on very high.. tried everything.. and still runs perfectly) max temp 54c.

I would like to hit 3.8Ghz. at 3.8Ghz (ram at 908Mhz) it boots up but fails Prime95.

(i'm not a pro at OC)

what i need to lower or increase to get stable 3.8Ghz

thanks for your help! :blush:

your just about at the Voltage limit for that cpu. so 3.5ghz might be your limit. i wouldnt go any further than 1.45 but some people go 1.5 without a problem. if your comfortable with temps then try pushing the voltage a little higher.

:huh: well i don't know about MB but i think that RAM is holding me down..

what voltage have to be set when DDR2 800Mhz running at 900Mhz? ~2.0V?

about CPU voltage i read somewhere that at 3.8Ghz dude used a 1.5500V for stability :blink:

and how about other stuff? i mean that all other settings are on auto.

except

RAM: 677Mhz mode (can't set lower)

CPU: 1.4500V

i know that this 630 CPU can hit 5.5Ghz (of course not on Air Cooling :lol: ). so maybe its ram..maybe MB.. but i think i can reach 3.8Ghz sable B:)

just need to try harder n not blow my self up :D

Try running it with 2 sticks of ram instead of 4. Overclocks tend to work better when all the memory slots are not populated. Check you owners guide also. Sometimes they recommend which slots to use when using only 2 sticks depending on the stock MHz ratings.

just tested with 2 sticks. well at 2.0V on ram after 10-15min it crashes.. but fault is RAM! thanks for your advice with 2 stick i was running 10-15min with 4 stick 0.30-1min :lol:

:bah: its definitely ram that holding me back.. well they runs perfect at 833Mhz :rolleyes:

Never mind that. my limit is 3.5Ghz (for now ;) )

with DDR2 1066Mhz i can hit ~3.8 4.0Ghz just need to update. or try to find DDR2 OC 1300Mhz :D

Thank y'all for your help!

btw about MB in manual i saw many lines like these

"if you overclocking use these settings...." "if you overclocking set this to that...." "for overclocking use..." and so on... so i don't think that this MB is so bad at overclocking:]

Edited by CDMCCDMC

Generally speaking the NVIDIA chipset is not as friendly as the AMD chipset. No need to argue, it's just a fact.

I was able to get my AMD Athlon II X4 620 to 3.7GHz but ran it daily at 3.5GHz without a hiccup.

i don't want to argue :huh: because i don't know this thing good. if you say so so it supposed to be so.

all i know that these cheap Athlon II x4 CPUs can handle a big overclock! ;)

at 3.8Ghz it boots up and works fine but fail stress test because of RAM... with DDR3 i can easily hit 4Ghz. eavin with good DDR2 ram i can hit 4Ghz

Edited by CDMCCDMC

• 1 month later...

Heres what am running to get to: 3.64g = 260x14 cpu v at 1.54, cpu-nb at 1.183, Mem. at 1386 mhz dram-v 1.71, my temps stay under 45c full load and at idle about 27c. These athlon II x4 all act diffrent most like alot of juice as mines and some dont i guess its the combo you have with the motherboards for me at 3.5g i have to have cpu-v at 1.5 for stableness which to me is high just for 3.5 but then again i think my board gives out the wrong reading for CPU-V why i say that is because in the bios for me the get 1.5 on the cpu i have to set it to 1.55. For my 3.64speed in the bios is set to 1.57 to get 1.54. The correct reading i get from are from : AMD overdrive & CPU-Z