OCZ RAM, will 800 and 1066 work together?

So i have OCZ Fatal1ty 4gb 2x2 pc6400 - 800, Apparently my asus m4a785-m doesnt support its epp profile. but the default timings at 400mhz are good, not real concerned with that. My athlon II x4 620 2.6Ghz overclocked to 3.016 and with that my ram went up to 462Mhz, that was done only by changing the HT link to 232. I'm trying to learn more about overclocking but it seems that all the information i take it does not apply to my BIOS, also if i simply type in certain settings to the exact number that "auto" would put in there i get crashes and such. so i've accepted the fact that i still have more to learn and this machine will stay at 3.0 until it dies, meanwhile i'll be saving for components made for overclocking. I found it to be quite exciting when somthing works and goes right.

Im looking to buy another set of the Fatal1ty but im having trouble deciding between the 800 MHz, which i have now, and the 1066Mhz. As they are nearly the same price. Will the 1066 work just by default matching its speed with my current speed? And should i put the better ones in my first two slots where my current ones sit? And i think my last question is pretty clear, will i have any problems or should i just get the 800Mhz?

It should work.

Also 1066 will give you better OC potential.

How many slots you have? and whats your dual channel Config?

During the times of DDR1.....I've mixed all 266 mhz, 333 and 400 at once... The PC just selected the lowest speeds and worked flawlessly.

thanks for the advice, essentially getting the 1066 was for the over clock potential, currently i have 2 x 2 GB sticks of 800 in dual channel mode, 4 slots available, the 1066 will just get run equal to the 800 at first but in the future get another set of 1066, OR run the 1066 alone at full speed, not sure which is better. i did find instablilties overclocking cuz the cpu took the ram up to like 460-480 MHz. So once i set the ram to 333 everything leveled out and now im seeing higher and higher stable clocks, with the ram at 416Mhz. I think i may stay at this and not try to go any higher, thats what im trying to tell myself although i probably wont listen. HT = 250, cpu x13 , Nb x9 , HT 1800, DRAM 333 Mhz, those are the settings in my BIOS, here are my actual readings CPU 250x13 @ 3.250 - NB x9 @ 2250 - HT @ 2250 , DRAM Freq. 416Mhz. I had the northbridge up to 2400 ish at one point, stayed good for a couple days but as i researched i found that higher clock speeds are better than higher northbridge although when you read the definition of northbridge it sounds like the speed is top priority, at that time my cpu clock was 3.1 Ghz. Everywhere i look says the same thing, over and over again, and none of it is in very good detail, and ive tried every search phrase i can think of for detailed info, ended up pretty much teaching myself, which was fun, but now what? i dont wanna push it too far so that i can get time out of it but at the same time learn more. So far i'd put money down saying lack of detailed info is due to the fairly new style. WOW, i turned this from "help me with my ram" to "help me with my athlon". Anything to make this thread more helpful to myself and others that cant find answers.

Edited by Chadwick0

many times you can mix them, and they will always default to the slowest speed of the bunch. But sometimes if you mix different types of memeory, the pc will not even boot.

Yeah i thought that was the case, but wanted to see if i could get a definite yes or no with the OCZ Fatal1ty to mix 800 and 1066 at this time. i should have gotten the 1066 in the first place but this was my first build and i read alot of problems with any brand 1066, then came to find that my mobo should be able to handle it once i got the parts and read the TERRIBLE manuals. very poor info, good thing i generally knew what i was doing. granted if i do get the 1066 and it simply matches the 800 spd i'll be content until i can replace the 800.

1066 will have higher timings, but be closer to your FSB.

however unless your trying to use that on getting some higher clocks,

i would stick with the PC6400 and try to work on some timings

-BTW on mixing ram.

when you mix ram that has different voltages,timings, JEDEC & EPP profiles

it is very hard to find a common & low timing also the stability is off.

your best bet is to not lose dual channel, and keep it the same.

you can do it the other way, but i wouldnt reccomend it

you can also drive a car with 4 different brand/treaded types of tires, but i wouldnt reccomend it.

The OCZ Ultimate Memory Configurator recommends the right modules for your unique system requirements. The performance of your critical applications, or are in the process of building the ultimate gaming rig, the OCZ Ultimate Memory Configurator takes the guesswork out of identifying the right memory for your system.