11 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo

Will Fold 4 Food

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7228 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:20 AM

OCC looks at the unique Antec Mini Skeleton - http://www.overclock..._mini_skeleton/

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz / ASUS P5Q Deluxe / Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB PC2-9600 DDR2-1200MHz / 2x Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB RAID 1 / Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB
Corsair TX750W / Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 / SilverStone TJ05 / Scythe Zipang 140mm CPU Cooler / ASUS VH202T-P 20" widescreen monitor (x2) / XP Pro SP 3
"however, i cannot claim to be such a fish as i am not a fish at all..." - hardnrg,Jul 4 2005, 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Follow OCC on Posted Image
Subscribe to the OCC Newsletter

Lucky Mudder Race 2013

#2 Andrewr05

Andrewr05

I'll be whatever I wanna do!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11611 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:49 AM

This would be cool for a full sized motherboard but I just can't see any reason to run a mitx board open like that.
-_-

Overlooking that, great review as usual.
Posted Image

ona5.png

If you see the cops - LEAVE.

If the cops are coming - Don't be there.
If you show up and the cops are already there - DISAPPEAR.
Anyplace the cops are and you aren't, is a good day

:yes: 

Rig specs:

Spoiler

#3 Compxpert

Compxpert

You may be getting Facepalmed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2711 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

This would be cool for a full sized motherboard but I just can't see any reason to run a mitx board open like that.
-_-

Posted Image

They do have a version for ATX you know right. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129056

Posted Image
>> >>Buy my stuff!!<< <<
XT-1264, X-Fighter, M59, Element T

Lappy - Gateway FX P-7805u - C2D E8400 - 4gb DDRIII - Nvidia 9800M 1gb discrete (1920x1200) - 320gb hdd
Core2Duo E8400 - DFI Lanparty UT P45-T2RS - 4gb OCZ Reaper HPC DDRII 1066 - 600W OCZ GameXStream - Visiontek HD4870
Core i7 920 @ 4.00GHz - DFI LP UT X58-T3eHS - Mushkin 3x 2gb DDR3 - 700W OCZ ModXStream Pro - 2x Sapphire Radeon HD4870 Toxic Ed.
Come join OCC IRC... /server irc.skullboxz.net /join #occ Use the Occ IRC JApplet or check out an IRC Client: mIRC : XChat : HydraIRC
Posted Image
Follow OCC on Posted Image

#4 Andrewr05

Andrewr05

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11611 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

They do have a version for ATX you know right. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129056

Yea I knew that, I was just wondering why they bothered making an mitx version...
:blink:

ona5.png

Rig specs:

Spoiler

#5 xchrissypoox

xchrissypoox

Not new member.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

Yea I knew that, I was just wondering why they bothered making an mitx version...
:blink:

Its for all the mITX board reviewers/benchers I suppose :huh:
Posted Image

#6 Verran

Verran

RIP 1981-2009

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7026 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

I'm with Andrew on this one. It seems like there'd be a VERY limited market for something like this. I would think most ITX builds would be for low-profile applications and not something this flashy. Plus, when compared to the cost of the ITX system components, that's a very hefty price. It really inflates the overall system cost.

It's a cool idea, but it just doesn't add up to me. I just can't see a whole lot of people having a need/want for it.
Posted Image
[E7400 Gaming]~[Q6600 Burning]~[Opt148 Wife's]~[3200+ HTPC1]~[3500+ HTPC2]
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all."

#7 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32363 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

:withstupid: Not to mention including a PSU that doesn't really power anything is not a strong selling feature either.

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#8 Andrewr05

Andrewr05

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11611 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, they could have easily put a 150W or even a 200-250 if they wanted to.

This case is expensive as it is though, I couldn't imagine how much it would be if they were "generous" enough to include a 200w...

ona5.png

Rig specs:

Spoiler

#9 tacohunter52

tacohunter52

R34CT1V4T3D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:44 PM

:withstupid: Not to mention including a PSU that doesn't really power anything is not a strong selling feature either.

Yah that really bothered me.

Posted Image

Thanks

The price does suck, and it is relatively pointless to have a mini ITX system in an open case. One of the reasons for these open cases is so you can easily mess around with your hardware. Something you probably wouldn't be doing to much with a mini ITX system. Then again I can't see most users messing around with their ATX hardware a whole lot more.

Antec's reason for having this case open was for great airflow, and the case did perform very well. I'm not sure if having it open the way it was is actually a factor in its performance, or if mini ITX stuff just doesn't get hot enough to matter. I did think it looked pretty cool, and the ability to just slide out a tray to swap hardware was pretty nice.

Posted Image

Generic Most Awesome Sig

#10 xchrissypoox

xchrissypoox

Not new member.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 07:59 PM

the only reason I want a mini-itx is to stick it into something with little ventilation so that it looks cool (in my case a broken nes) and while I have a case in mind I'm sure most of the people looking for a NAS don't want a giant case with no 3.5" slots and the people who want a dvd player tv watcher deal don't want a giant thing over something like a book size or a just big enough case.

also I think the power supply is plenty, even a mini itx ion with a atom n330 only needs a 90W (scroll to bottom of link on spec page). Though I used to look at those 775 mini-itx and dream but frankly there are no decent mini-itx power supplies to power one with a decent video card.
Posted Image

#11 Zertz

Zertz

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

also I think the power supply is plenty

Yeah it is. A 1080p capable Atom 330 + Ion chipset setup draws like 60W in a worst case scenario.

Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

#12 tacohunter52

tacohunter52

R34CT1V4T3D

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:23 AM

also I think the power supply is plenty, even a mini itx ion with a atom n330 only needs a 90W (scroll to bottom of link on spec page). Though I used to look at those 775 mini-itx and dream but frankly there are no decent mini-itx power supplies to power one with a decent video card.

The ION ITX boards have an independent power source. This includes the board you linked.

This makes the PSU included with the case redundant if it is meant for those boards. The PSU included with the case had a 24Pin connector, so it was meant for a board that needs one. The fact that it couldn't accommodate a 775 board is a little ridiculous. I tested with both a Q6600 and a P4. I also unplugged the Optical drive.

The end result was that the PSU still could not power the system. IMO that = Fail.

Posted Image

Generic Most Awesome Sig