17 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo

Will Fold 4 Food

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7228 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

OCC has just posted a review of the Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB SSD Desktop Upgrade Kit - http://www.overclock...ton_ssdnow_ssd/

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz / ASUS P5Q Deluxe / Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB PC2-9600 DDR2-1200MHz / 2x Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB RAID 1 / Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB
Corsair TX750W / Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 / SilverStone TJ05 / Scythe Zipang 140mm CPU Cooler / ASUS VH202T-P 20" widescreen monitor (x2) / XP Pro SP 3
"however, i cannot claim to be such a fish as i am not a fish at all..." - hardnrg,Jul 4 2005, 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Follow OCC on Posted Image
Subscribe to the OCC Newsletter

Lucky Mudder Race 2013

#2 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20259 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:25 AM

Once an SSD always an SSD

good review!!

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#3 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15204 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

Any real-world benchmark numbers (ie: boot time, shutdown time, etc)?

Posted Image

Booyah.

#4 tkrow21

tkrow21

Total Nerd

• Folding Member
  • 3712 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

Cons:
Manual comes as PDF on disk

Isn't that a pro? No waste of paper.
Posted Image
It's the decisions you make when you have no time to make them that define who you are.

#5 Crazy_Nate

Crazy_Nate

Philosophy begins in wonder.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3918 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Cons:
Manual comes as PDF on disk

Isn't that a pro? No waste of paper.

Eh, could go either way, IMHO. You might not have the foggiest idea what to do if the only information on how to use Acronis is on the cd that's in your computer :P

OCC Recommended Power Supplies List - The Official OCC Raid Guide - OverclockersClub Rules - OCC Market Place Forum Rules - OCC IRC

Posted Image

Intel i5 650 @ 3.2 -- TR AXP-140 Passive -- Mushkin Blackline 2x2GB -- Asus Gene III P55 / mATX -- WD Caviar Black 1TB -- Corsair HX 750 -- Custom HTPC Case
AMD PII X4 965 -- Mushkin Silverline 2x4GB -- ASUS M4A88T-M -- WD Caviar Black 1TB -- Corsair HX 650 -- LIAN LI PC-V354A (Silver)

#6 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20259 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:45 AM

Eh, could go either way, IMHO. You might not have the foggiest idea what to do if the only information on how to use Acronis is on the cd that's in your computer :P

yeah but only enthusiasts run SSD's and that means we have more than one computer :P

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 12GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: *Debranded* HP 24" 2408H | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

#7 jlqrb

jlqrb

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

You might not have the foggiest idea what to do if the only information on how to use Acronis is on the cd that's in your computer :P

That was the exact issue. If you could run Acronis from within Windows and view the PDF at the same time it would not have been a issue.

#8 jlqrb

jlqrb

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

yeah but only enthusiasts run SSD's and that means we have more than one computer :P

That is true, but this drive isn't targeted at the enthusiast. It is targeted more at the average user as a upgrade and not a stand-alone storage device. Even if you have two computers I think it is kind of annoying to look at one screen somewhere else to know what you are doing on the other. It was just a small annoyance but one that I thought I would list.

#9 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20259 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

That is true, but this drive isn't targeted at the enthusiast. It is targeted more at the average user as a upgrade and not a stand-alone storage device. Even if you have two computers I think it is kind of annoying to look at one screen somewhere else to know what you are doing on the other. It was just a small annoyance but one that I thought I would list.

Ya I know it's targeted at the average user, but I think for what they charge for ssd's no average user will get them. It would be too much hassle for average user to deal with what little gb's you get for dollar spent.
Therefore I'll make a bold claim that anyone who would buy an SSD will be able to access the manual on their spare laptop, desktop, netbook, phone etc. :P

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP

OCC Cool Club Member

#10 damian

damian

Nerd Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2760 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

Is there really a need for HDTach when HDTune (or vice versa) is included in the list of benchmarks? Resaults are almost identical (except for burst speed) seems like a simple reboot could easily alter data between the two prgrams. Or is that 8mb block in HD Tach what really seperates it?
Another thing, does this drive use a JMicron controller?

#11 ccokeman

ccokeman

Frank <3 Reesa

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11288 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

We use both and are looking to put HD tune Pro to use like the last 2 storage reviews we did before this one. They sometimes give differing results

This one is targeted at the mainstream user

Ya I know it's targeted at the average user, but I think for what they charge for ssd's no average user will get them. It would be too much hassle for average user to deal with what little gb's you get for dollar spent.
Therefore I'll make a bold claim that anyone who would buy an SSD will be able to access the manual on their spare laptop, desktop, netbook, phone etc. :P

For 84.99 after rebates this drive is targeted at the mainstream user to use as an upgrade to use with the OS and programs while still retaining a standard hard drive for storage purposes. Much like enthusiasts do but at a more palatable price point.
Processor Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.6
Memory Mushkin 998995 Blackline 12GB 9-9-9-24
Motherboard MSI X58 Big Bang
Graphics ASUS GTX 580
Power Corsair AX 1200,
Monitor Gateway UXD3000, LG W3000H, ASUS VG236 x 3
Water Cooling By DangerDen & Swiftech
Follow OCC on Posted Image

#12 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20259 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

We use both and are looking to put HD tune Pro to use like the last 2 storage reviews we did before this one. They sometimes give differing results

This one is targeted at the mainstream user

For 84.99 after rebates this drive is targeted at the mainstream user to use as an upgrade to use with the OS and programs while still retaining a standard hard drive for storage purposes. Much like enthusiasts do but at a more palatable price point.

I just don't see the mainstream users going for it though, any newer conventional harddrive will be zippy, balanced and have a great $/gb ratio. I love my dad's 7200.12 500GB drive, it's zippier than my Veloci raptor and I believe we only paid like $55 for it. (I spent like $200 on my Veloci when it was new). Even as an enthusiast, I'm still not sold on SSD's as they stand now. I'd be tempted to get one for my laptop only for the power savings but I still see that this one has the downfall of most memory based storage, low write speeds.

As it stands now, you sacrifice storage space, money and write speeds with an SSD all for a high read speed and lower power usage (which wouldn't mean much on a desktop application).
A conventional harddrive has a wonderful balance of all of these and they get better and better as time goes on.

Edited by IVIYTH0S, 26 October 2009 - 04:27 PM.

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP

OCC Cool Club Member