Kingston 40GB SSD Upgrade Kit Evaluated

Nemo

Cons:

Manual comes as PDF on disk

Isn't that a pro? No waste of paper.

Eh, could go either way, IMHO. You might not have the foggiest idea what to do if the only information on how to use Acronis is on the cd that's in your computer :P

Eh, could go either way, IMHO. You might not have the foggiest idea what to do if the only information on how to use Acronis is on the cd that's in your computer :P

yeah but only enthusiasts run SSD's and that means we have more than one computer :P

You might not have the foggiest idea what to do if the only information on how to use Acronis is on the cd that's in your computer :P

That was the exact issue. If you could run Acronis from within Windows and view the PDF at the same time it would not have been a issue.

yeah but only enthusiasts run SSD's and that means we have more than one computer :P

That is true, but this drive isn't targeted at the enthusiast. It is targeted more at the average user as a upgrade and not a stand-alone storage device. Even if you have two computers I think it is kind of annoying to look at one screen somewhere else to know what you are doing on the other. It was just a small annoyance but one that I thought I would list.

That is true, but this drive isn't targeted at the enthusiast. It is targeted more at the average user as a upgrade and not a stand-alone storage device. Even if you have two computers I think it is kind of annoying to look at one screen somewhere else to know what you are doing on the other. It was just a small annoyance but one that I thought I would list.

Ya I know it's targeted at the average user, but I think for what they charge for ssd's no average user will get them. It would be too much hassle for average user to deal with what little gb's you get for dollar spent.

Therefore I'll make a bold claim that anyone who would buy an SSD will be able to access the manual on their spare laptop, desktop, netbook, phone etc. :P

Is there really a need for HDTach when HDTune (or vice versa) is included in the list of benchmarks? Resaults are almost identical (except for burst speed) seems like a simple reboot could easily alter data between the two prgrams. Or is that 8mb block in HD Tach what really seperates it?

Another thing, does this drive use a JMicron controller?

We use both and are looking to put HD tune Pro to use like the last 2 storage reviews we did before this one. They sometimes give differing results

This one is targeted at the mainstream user

Ya I know it's targeted at the average user, but I think for what they charge for ssd's no average user will get them. It would be too much hassle for average user to deal with what little gb's you get for dollar spent.

Therefore I'll make a bold claim that anyone who would buy an SSD will be able to access the manual on their spare laptop, desktop, netbook, phone etc. :P

For 84.99 after rebates this drive is targeted at the mainstream user to use as an upgrade to use with the OS and programs while still retaining a standard hard drive for storage purposes. Much like enthusiasts do but at a more palatable price point.

We use both and are looking to put HD tune Pro to use like the last 2 storage reviews we did before this one. They sometimes give differing results

This one is targeted at the mainstream user

For 84.99 after rebates this drive is targeted at the mainstream user to use as an upgrade to use with the OS and programs while still retaining a standard hard drive for storage purposes. Much like enthusiasts do but at a more palatable price point.

I just don't see the mainstream users going for it though, any newer conventional harddrive will be zippy, balanced and have a great $/gb ratio. I love my dad's 7200.12 500GB drive, it's zippier than my Veloci raptor and I believe we only paid like $55 for it. (I spent like $200 on my Veloci when it was new). Even as an enthusiast, I'm still not sold on SSD's as they stand now. I'd be tempted to get one for my laptop only for the power savings but I still see that this one has the downfall of most memory based storage, low write speeds.

As it stands now, you sacrifice storage space, money and write speeds with an SSD all for a high read speed and lower power usage (which wouldn't mean much on a desktop application).

A conventional harddrive has a wonderful balance of all of these and they get better and better as time goes on.

Edited by IVIYTH0S