• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 BizaroStormy

BizaroStormy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

I just discovered today that my car has been booted by a towing company, and its at MY APARTMENT!
About a week ago my apartment complex sent out a notice that they would have a company patrolling my complex and that we needed to get
a new vehicle tag to stick in our window. I already have a tag from last year and did not have a chance to get one because they close before I
get back home from classes every day and I didn't want to wake up early. Today when I get back from class (I ride a city bus) I find this relatively thin boot on my car
(compared to the ones cops put on cars) and a notice saying to call a number to get it off, and that I have an expired tag.
At this point I'm wondering what to do?
I'm definitely going to talk to my complex management tomorrow morning to see if they will get it taken off free of charge sense I actually pay to live here.
If they don't do that I'm not going to renew my contract with them when it runs out in a few months (this place is a real dump anyways).
If my first step does not work I'm going to call the number on my car and that's where I would like your opinion/experience on the matter.
If they only want $20 or so to get it off sure but if they want $50+ to get it off whats stopping me from going to my local hardware store buying an angle grinder
and a cutting wheel and taking it off myself? would I be breaking any laws? because I have every right to park here, and that boot to me is the same as someone putting a
chain on my door and saying that I can't go into my own house unless I pay them. To me the boot itself seems like a means of vandalism because it has disabled and therefore
damaged my vehicle. What if I get hurt and need to get to the hospital or need to go get food at the store?
So what do you guys think?
i5-3570k @ 4.2Ghz, ASUS GTX 570, 8GB Samsung DDR3, 240GB Mushkin SSD, 1TB WD green storage drive, ASRock Z77 extreme4. 750W Seasonic 80+ gold PSU.

#2 _TheAlexO

_TheAlexO

Formerly ShallowBay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2789 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

go for it.. Stick it to the man :lol:

My Skyrim ENB Album

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570k @4.4ghz | Motherboard: MSI z77a-g43 | Video Card: EVGA GTX 680 @1.3ghz core | Memory: 16gb Patriot ddr3 2133mhz (from OCC) | Case: Corsair 600T Alpine Edition | Power Supply: Corsair 700 Gamer Series

| Speakers: Corsair sp2500 (from OCC) | Headset: Logitech G35 | Mouse: Logitech g500 | Keyboard: Corsair K60 Red Switches

#3 CowKing

CowKing

Phil ain't got nothin' on me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

well first off don't be a lazy Ahole and get that damn tag, secondly they have every right (if it's a private lot) to tell you to pay them, plus that chain analogy is kinda false unless you paid off that house
whether taking off the boot is illegal, it is since it's probably private or state property
CPU: (Intel)q9450@3.36GHz|1.4v
Power Supply: (Antec)BP550|550w
GFX Card: (PNY)GTX 460|800-1600-4000 biggest GTX 460 dud OCer
Motherboard: (Gigabyte)P35-DS3R |P35|
Memory: (Mushkin) Redline 2x2GB DDR2 1000|1050MHz 5-5-5-12|
Ayn Rand is the author for people who want to act like complete douche-bags, but don't have the balls to just admit that they are douche-bags.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

OCC Cool Club Member

#4 xchrissypoox

xchrissypoox

Not new member.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

whats stopping me from going to my local hardware store buying an angle grinder and a cutting wheel and taking it off myself? would I be breaking any laws? because I have every right to park here, and that boot to me is the same as someone putting a chain on my door and saying that I can't go into my own house unless I pay them. To me the boot itself seems like a means of vandalism because it has disabled and therefore damaged my vehicle. What if I get hurt and need to get to the hospital or need to go get food at the store? So what do you guys think?

Talk to them and find out how much it is to get it off, if you don't want to pay ask them if they can legally put it on there, if you're not convinced call the cops. I wouldn't damage it in anyway if I were you, a $50 fee is less than if you were charged with vandalism.

Edited by xchrissypoox, 24 September 2009 - 07:17 PM.

Posted Image

#5 slick2500

slick2500

mmm beer

• Folding Member
  • 2129 posts

I do believe it is illegal to remove a boot in such a manner.

Main Rig AMD FX 6300 @4.8Ghz Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2 Team Dark 2x4GB DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 Dual Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X R9 270X Enermax Coenus Corsair TX850 PSU Swiftech Apogee GTX Swiftech MCR220-QP Swiftech MCP655-B

Backup Rig AMD Phenom 8650 Asus M3N78-VM 4GB DDR2 Nvidia Geforce 8200 Thermaltake 450w PSU Cheap Beige Case

WARDOZERX - My friend's I am here to warn you that should you ever stumble across a website with top notch "content" on the front page that just so happens to be sorted by a rating system, please. Please, for the love of all that is good in this world. DO NOT GO TO THE LAST PAGE! What has been seen, cannot be unseen  :whoa:

#6 Praz

Praz

Posting Nut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9584 posts

I think you should have dragged your butt out of bed early and took care of business. As it appears that to park where you did requires a current and valid parking sticker then you do not have the right to park there. Best thing will probably be paying the towing company their fee instead of destroying private property and having even greater expenses.

#7 SMeeD

SMeeD

what the hell is a smeed?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1968 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:28 PM

As much as Id love to see someone screw over the tow truck company they will probably end up getting more money out of you if you screw with their stuff :(

Edit* Is the boot padlocked on? If so screw fees, buy a cheap padlock and go boot their truck.

Edited by SMeeD, 24 September 2009 - 07:29 PM.

#8 KennyisKing

KennyisKing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

when they boot your car they write down your license plate number,vin number,make and model. and they write down the boot number so....when it comes up missing....it will come back to you. so it wouldnt be wise to do so...
Desktop:I7 920,Asus P6T V2D,G-Skill 6GB,GTX 295,G510,R.A.T 7,Triton AXPro's, 3x Asus VE245 24' monitors mounted on the Cheif KTB-325
Laptop:Asus G60Jx- I5 430m,8gb ddr3,and Nvidia 360m

#9 BizaroStormy

BizaroStormy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

As much as Id love to see someone screw over the tow truck company they will probably end up getting more money out of you if you screw with their stuff :(

Edit* Is the boot padlocked on? If so screw fees, buy a cheap padlock and go boot their truck.

No it uses a key similar to ones used on gun safes. They don't even charge for the tag so ill get one tomorrow.
I do think it is my right to park here with a up to date tag or not. I pay to park here they are just to lazy to keep their old records up to date with what tags are still valid or not (based on who still lives here) and instead just make you get a new one each year.
i5-3570k @ 4.2Ghz, ASUS GTX 570, 8GB Samsung DDR3, 240GB Mushkin SSD, 1TB WD green storage drive, ASRock Z77 extreme4. 750W Seasonic 80+ gold PSU.

#10 Andrewr05

Andrewr05

I'll be whatever I wanna do!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11611 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:39 PM

Someone NEEDS to post up that epic thread from the honda forum (or whatever it was), that thread was pretty damn funny...

ona5.png

If you see the cops - LEAVE.

If the cops are coming - Don't be there.
If you show up and the cops are already there - DISAPPEAR.
Anyplace the cops are and you aren't, is a good day

:yes: 

Rig specs:

Spoiler

#11 GabrielTessin

GabrielTessin

Different

• Folding Member
  • 1170 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

I say angle grinder fun! And what the hell, worst case scenario you get fined extra but your up an angle grinder you didn't have before and I am betting it would be quite fun.

I am the reason we can't have nice things. 

#12 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15456 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

I say angle grinder fun! And what the hell, worst case scenario you get fined extra but your up an angle grinder you didn't have before and I am betting it would be quite fun.

Yeah, no.

Get the tag, pay the fine.

sig.png

GTX 770 replaced with watercooled GTX780...but too lazy to change the sig.