Photo
- - - - -

How do I test the onboard NIC for corruption?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dr_bowtie

dr_bowtie

Chronic Haggler...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18037 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

Some where on my network I think one of the onboard NICs maybe going south...I am in the middle of trying to solve and issue and I think I may be having multiple issues and the corruption every once in a while is not adding to finding the fix...

I am trying to find out the issue of why I cannot play co-op play on 2 rigs on my network at the same time and my way of testing it was to install the game (COD5) on various rigs for testing...

I have 2 copies of the game (mine and my wifes) and every time some one outside network host the game I could join it and as soon as the wife did it would kick us both and vice versus....so that meant data collision I think...

Long story short I copied the game disk to a file on my server so I could fast install it without carrying the disk around or worse scratch it in the process ( I can be clumbsy or the kids get ahold of it)

I installed the game last week on my gaming rig without a hitch and I have been playing no problem I also have the game patches in the folder on teh server as well... I installed the same copy on the wifes rig but used her key and shes been playing and we played multiplayer no issue...

I tried to install the copy on a fresh format of Win7 and I get teh corruption errors every couple of tries...I though it was her rig so I changed the cat5e cable and no help and I was baout to put a Nic card in her PC when I tried installing on my kids PC and I got the corruption twice in a row...

now I use my server for all my media and its been fine as the media streams great...I also keep a seperate hard drive for all my back-ups too and thats where my game install files are...

So is there any way to test teh nic to make sure it's not corrupting...? I would like to know before I spend the money on a new NIC card...

EDIT: could also be the gigabit switch as well...not sure which way to go from here....
Wii-Kart code 2707-2013-4642~~~~~~ Diablo 3 drbowtie#1495

Commodore64....playing Crysis on high

Posted Image

**Noctua Owners Club: Member #2 - NH-D14**

#2 Compxpert

Compxpert

You may be getting Facepalmed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2711 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

Loopback plug: http://www.ortizonli...04/loopback.htm
However I'm not sure what you use to test for the corruption but you use it in conjunction with the loopback plug. You probably need to grab some sort of utility.
Sorry I can't be of more help than that I only just learned this and that you use a physical loopback plug to test to see if the NIC is bad but as to how you do that after plugging in the loopback plug I have no idea.

Edited by Compxpert, 01 July 2009 - 01:12 PM.

Posted Image
>> >>Buy my stuff!!<< <<
XT-1264, X-Fighter, M59, Element T

Lappy - Gateway FX P-7805u - C2D E8400 - 4gb DDRIII - Nvidia 9800M 1gb discrete (1920x1200) - 320gb hdd
Core2Duo E8400 - DFI Lanparty UT P45-T2RS - 4gb OCZ Reaper HPC DDRII 1066 - 600W OCZ GameXStream - Visiontek HD4870
Core i7 920 @ 4.00GHz - DFI LP UT X58-T3eHS - Mushkin 3x 2gb DDR3 - 700W OCZ ModXStream Pro - 2x Sapphire Radeon HD4870 Toxic Ed.
Come join OCC IRC... /server irc.skullboxz.net /join #occ Use the Occ IRC JApplet or check out an IRC Client: mIRC : XChat : HydraIRC
Posted Image
Follow OCC on Posted Image

#3 xPETEZx

xPETEZx

.:!!MEAT!!:.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

Does this only ever happen when 2 machines try to play at the same time?

Or does it happen when just one plays too?

Is it only on this game? Do you experiance other network trouble? Like slow file transfers etc.

To me, from what you have said, it sounds like the game more than anything. Unless you are getting problems across the board, I would rule out your network, and focus on the game.

Main: | Win 7 Pro x64 | C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4 | 8GB OCZ Reaper | 2x Sapphire HD5850 1GB in CFX | ASUS P5Q-E | Creative X-Fi | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | Corsair HX750W | Logitech G15 + G5 + Z5500 | 2x Dell 2007FP |

Media: | Win 8.1 Pro x64 | C2Q Q6600 | 4GB Corsair Dominator | Gainward GTS250 512MB | Intel DP35DP | Samsung SSD 256GB | ASUS Xonar D2 | PC Power & Cooling 610W | Antec Veris | Onyko TX-NR515 + Tanoy SFX5.1 | Sharp LC32U700e |

Server: | Win 8.1 Pro x64 | i5 - 4430 | 16GB Corsair XMS3 | Gigabyte Z87-HD3 | Corsair RM550 | Kingston 128GB | Corsair Neutron 256GB | 4x 1TB Samsung F3 (2x RAID1) | Samsung F4 2TB (Backups) |

#4 XxHellxRaizerxX

XxHellxRaizerxX

Quick Learner

• Folding Member
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:44 AM

From the sound of what you said about joining a hosted game, it may be your router/switch. Make sure you have UPNP enabled so the computers can set their ports and whatnot so they don't end up sharing them. Same thing happened to me when we had 2 Xbox 360s my UPNP was turned off and the boxes conflicted with each other, turned it on and we were good to go. Dunno if this is the problem but it's worth checking on :)
Laptop: Dell Studio 15 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Core i3 @ 2.13GHz, Intel HD Graphics, 4GB DDR3 1066MHz, 15.6" 1920x1080 LED-LCD screen, back-lit keyboard

#5 dr_bowtie

dr_bowtie

Chronic Haggler...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18037 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

Does this only ever happen when 2 machines try to play at the same time?

Or does it happen when just one plays too?

Is it only on this game? Do you experiance other network trouble? Like slow file transfers etc.

To me, from what you have said, it sounds like the game more than anything. Unless you are getting problems across the board, I would rule out your network, and focus on the game.

No it doesnt happen when only 1 PC plays...only when both are trying to play co-op...the multi-player portion of the game does not have the same issue...seems more the game than anything...this is the only game that has this issue the other co-op based games do not....

other network things seems to be fine...I can push/pull to the server (in house) at an average of 100MB/s according to Win7 it hits as high as 125MB/s and as low as 75MB/s so the speed seems ok...

I was having an issue with corruption on game installs when loading the game from the server...even when I put the patch files on a flash drive from the server...

the ram has died...I booted to Memtest and I didnt even make it 2% into a test when it started erroring...2nd dead set in over 2 years

From the sound of what you said about joining a hosted game, it may be your router/switch. Make sure you have UPNP enabled so the computers can set their ports and whatnot so they don't end up sharing them. Same thing happened to me when we had 2 Xbox 360s my UPNP was turned off and the boxes conflicted with each other, turned it on and we were good to go. Dunno if this is the problem but it's worth checking on :)

I am definitely going to try this....thanks for the heads up....
Wii-Kart code 2707-2013-4642~~~~~~ Diablo 3 drbowtie#1495

Commodore64....playing Crysis on high

Posted Image

**Noctua Owners Club: Member #2 - NH-D14**

#6 xPETEZx

xPETEZx

.:!!MEAT!!:.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:23 PM

tbh, if you are not having problems with anything but this game, it sounds very much like its the game.

As I said, if you really did have a dieing NIC or any other hardware, it would manifest itself across the board. You would get other problems. Espically in other games, and it should happen regardless of how many other computers are playing.

I would see if others are having this problem with the game, and also check that Punkbuster is up-to-date. When myself and a house mate use to Play CoD4 online together, if Punkbuster was not 100% up-to-date, it would randomly chuck one of us out of the game. Which was odd, seeing as if either machine played on its own, there was no problem.

Main: | Win 7 Pro x64 | C2Q Q9550 @ 3.4 | 8GB OCZ Reaper | 2x Sapphire HD5850 1GB in CFX | ASUS P5Q-E | Creative X-Fi | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | Corsair HX750W | Logitech G15 + G5 + Z5500 | 2x Dell 2007FP |

Media: | Win 8.1 Pro x64 | C2Q Q6600 | 4GB Corsair Dominator | Gainward GTS250 512MB | Intel DP35DP | Samsung SSD 256GB | ASUS Xonar D2 | PC Power & Cooling 610W | Antec Veris | Onyko TX-NR515 + Tanoy SFX5.1 | Sharp LC32U700e |

Server: | Win 8.1 Pro x64 | i5 - 4430 | 16GB Corsair XMS3 | Gigabyte Z87-HD3 | Corsair RM550 | Kingston 128GB | Corsair Neutron 256GB | 4x 1TB Samsung F3 (2x RAID1) | Samsung F4 2TB (Backups) |