AMD Dual Core CPUs Tested

Nemo

OCC takes a look at a pair of dual core AMD CPUs - the AMD Phenom II X2 550 and Athlon II X2 250, which support socket AM2+ and AM3 boards. You know what that means don't you? That's right, these processors support both DDR2 and DDR3 memory. Check out the review here - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenom2x2_athlon2x2/

Which would be better to buy out of the two as my AMD Athlon64 is being outdated but can still play Cryysis well...and yes I have read the review...but is the Phenom II worth a bit extra?

I think the Phenom II is worth it. Especially when it can be overclocked so easily.

Myself wondering how Phenom II one would perform with M4N78 PRO, 3 GB DDR2 800 and 9600 GT at 1280x1024 resolution? Any ideas? :)

Edited by Azzeli

I think the Phenom II is worth it. Especially when it can be overclocked so easily.

The Athlon II is not too bad either. I managed to get 3.78GHz fully stable with it.

Guest ajmatson
The Athlon II is not too bad either. I managed to get 3.78GHz fully stable with it.

I had it under liquid for a day and was getting better overclocks as well. The stock cooler gave good results but of'course better cooling will yeild better results. The Phenom II is a better of the two especially with higher cache and more headroom for overclocking.

@Dan The Gamer

This is an Athlon II not the Athlon64 series. Totally different architecture. :)

Wow, that's some die size difference between the two processors...

Athlon II X2's are dual cores while Phenom II X2 are quad cores with two disabled cores. That's why