13 replies to this topic

#1 Nemo

Nemo

Will Fold 4 Food

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7228 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:10 AM

If you're looking for a silent CPU cooler, check out the GELID Silent Spirit - http://www.overclock..._silent_spirit/

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz / ASUS P5Q Deluxe / Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB PC2-9600 DDR2-1200MHz / 2x Seagate ST3160827AS 160GB RAID 1 / Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB
Corsair TX750W / Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 / SilverStone TJ05 / Scythe Zipang 140mm CPU Cooler / ASUS VH202T-P 20" widescreen monitor (x2) / XP Pro SP 3
"however, i cannot claim to be such a fish as i am not a fish at all..." - hardnrg,Jul 4 2005, 02:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Follow OCC on Posted Image
Subscribe to the OCC Newsletter

Lucky Mudder Race 2013

#2 d3bruts1d

d3bruts1d

Posting Nut

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9957 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:16 AM

Wow... it looks like they took a rock to the base of that heat sink. :blink:

The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent that of OverclockersClub.com, its affiliates or sponsors.
If you enjoy my ramblings you may want to visit my blog, follow me on Twitter, or friend me on Facebook.

#3 Andrewr05

Andrewr05

I'll be whatever I wanna do!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11611 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

Holy crap
:blink:

And no better than stock (in fact worse) at that...

ona5.png

If you see the cops - LEAVE.

If the cops are coming - Don't be there.
If you show up and the cops are already there - DISAPPEAR.
Anyplace the cops are and you aren't, is a good day

:yes: 

Rig specs:

Spoiler

#4 Verran

Verran

RIP 1981-2009

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7026 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:47 AM

Wow... it looks like they took a rock to the base of that heat sink. :blink:

Are you sure you're not looking at the picture of the pre-applied thermal paste? I made that mistake myself but I realized it couldn't be that bad so I went back and looked again.

I agree though, the performance isn't that great. Silent is nice, but I use the stock Intel cooler for my Q6600 these days and honestly it's not all that loud. Heck, even my TRUE with a medium speed Yate Loon is pretty darn quiet. But if you're really serious about silent I think it could make sense. The temps might be more impressive on a non-i7 chip too. Those things are just incredibly hot.

Good review though. The pictures were very nice.
Posted Image
[E7400 Gaming]~[Q6600 Burning]~[Opt148 Wife's]~[3200+ HTPC1]~[3500+ HTPC2]
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all."

#5 d3bruts1d

d3bruts1d

Posting Nut

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9957 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:02 AM

http://www.overclock...es/stp65547.htm

^ That looks pretty rough.

The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent that of OverclockersClub.com, its affiliates or sponsors.
If you enjoy my ramblings you may want to visit my blog, follow me on Twitter, or friend me on Facebook.

#6 Desja

Desja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Every other review I have ever seen on this cooler did better then the stock cpu. Not to be a d*ck er anything but I think you should have ran the testing with the factory applied thermal paste you must have put too much on. Why would the former co founder of Arctic cooling (owner of GELID Solutions) bother making a cooler that does worse than a stock cooler?

#7 Andrewr05

Andrewr05

I'll be whatever I wanna do!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11611 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:20 PM

Hmmm...

I know there are a lot of variables but I agree, I think there might be problem.
:unsure:

Maybe; Maybe not?

ona5.png

If you see the cops - LEAVE.

If the cops are coming - Don't be there.
If you show up and the cops are already there - DISAPPEAR.
Anyplace the cops are and you aren't, is a good day

:yes: 

Rig specs:

Spoiler

#8 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32348 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

Every other review I have ever seen on this cooler did better then the stock cpu. Not to be a d*ck er anything but I think you should have ran the testing with the factory applied thermal paste you must have put too much on. Why would the former co founder of Arctic cooling (owner of GELID Solutions) bother making a cooler that does worse than a stock cooler?

I have looked at some scoring from a few affilates temps and we are actually lower on the cooler then some of them. One thing we have noticed is some of the I7's are varying in temps for some reason. We are trying to see why I have three I7's that are producing 30 degree temp differences which is really odd. I will have Mark double check again just to be sure in this case.

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 3960X
MSI X79A-GD65 8D
16GB of Corsair Vengeance
NVIDIA 780TI's in SLI
Corsair Force 3 GT 240GB SSD
Coolermaster 932 Case
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Thermaltake Toughpower XT Platinum 1275 Watts
3 X 24" LCD's
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#9 Timmy94

Timmy94

Clock Me Higher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

Nice Review

Asus GTX 295
Acer 24" + Acer 19"
Coolermaster CM 690
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3P
4GB Patriot Viper-2 1600
Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.94Ghz
Great Wall 700W + TT 450W VGA

#10 Desja

Desja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

I have looked at some scoring from a few affilates temps and we are actually lower on the cooler then some of them. One thing we have noticed is some of the I7's are varying in temps for some reason. We are trying to see why I have three I7's that are producing 30 degree temp differences which is really odd. I will have Mark double check again just to be sure in this case.

The temps may be right but every other review I have seen the stock cooler did worse. Anyways man not speaking bad of occ the reviews are almost always without fault I just like VC Tran at GELID Solutions he is an awesome guy don't want occ or GELID to get a bum wrap for a miscalculation....if indeed it was one for all I know the other 2 reviews I checked out could have been wrong.

#11 ccokeman

ccokeman

Frank <3 Reesa

• Reviewer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11419 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:36 PM

Sometimes there are duds. If it does the same as a stocker but is quieter its a win! We also test with the board in a case to simulate real world. A test bench is not real world for 90+% of people out there. Most of the pics you see of reviews show it on a test bench or out in the open on a desk or on a box, not in a case!
Processor Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.6
Memory Mushkin 998995 Blackline 12GB 9-9-9-24
Motherboard MSI X58 Big Bang
Graphics ASUS GTX 580
Power Corsair AX 1200,
Monitor Gateway UXD3000, LG W3000H, ASUS VG236 x 3
Water Cooling By DangerDen & Swiftech
Follow OCC on Posted Image

#12 Desja

Desja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

Sometimes there are duds. If it does the same as a stocker but is quieter its a win! We also test with the board in a case to simulate real world. A test bench is not real world for 90+% of people out there. Most of the pics you see of reviews show it on a test bench or out in the open on a desk or on a box, not in a case!

True enough I forgot the internal sensors issues. Well retorted I am content. I will be getting one of these for testing next month from VC so if my results are the same I will just shut my mouth lol